Back Stretches

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 17, 2010
I've recently had a back injury and my doctor told to me to stretch but no PT would be needed. Does anyone know any back stretches? this is mainly for the lower back.

What I do is prop my leg on a couch arm, chair, etc. , And slowly reach back, trying to touch your leg. Those are needle stretches but they help your back too :) There is always the traditional bridge :)

Seal stretches. And roll out in a ball afterwards.

Do a bridge on a line, then try to lean over the line. It helps stretch for needles and just for my back. Also do your splits and try to reach back and grab you leg. Oh an also put your right or left leg against a wall(preferably a door frame) and then walk your hands up the other part of the door that's in front of you and then push to lean your head back and it pushes your back farther to your leg that's against the wall. This also helps too. Those are some stretches for needles and to help stretch your back. Sorry if this is really lengthy. Hope it helps! :)

For your lower back there a quite a few stretches that will help indirectly.

The first is a glute stretch. Lie supine (on your back) and bring your right knee to your left shoulder and hold for 15-30 seconds. Then do the same on the other side. Repeat 2-5 times

Next is a hip flexer stretch. Pull your right knee into your chest, as if your giving it a hug. Hold for 15-30 seconds. repeat on other side. do 2-5 reps.

Then do a hamstring stretch. in a lunge, place your back knee on the floor and keep your front leg straight. put your nose to your knee. Hold 15-30 sec for 3-5 repetitions on each leg.

Lastly is another glute/abdominal stretch. lying in a tuck, while keeping your back flat, pull your knees horizontally to the left and the right. hold for 15-30 seconds on each side. preform 3-5 reps of each

Hope that helps,
Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness
facebook.com/cheerfullout

For your lower back there a quite a few stretches that will help indirectly.

The first is a glute stretch. Lie supine (on your back) and bring your right knee to your left shoulder and hold for 15-30 seconds. Then do the same on the other side. Repeat 2-5 times

Next is a hip flexer stretch. Pull your right knee into your chest, as if your giving it a hug. Hold for 15-30 seconds. repeat on other side. do 2-5 reps.

Then do a hamstring stretch. in a lunge, place your back knee on the floor and keep your front leg straight. put your nose to your knee. Hold 15-30 sec for 3-5 repetitions on each leg.

Lastly is another glute/abdominal stretch. lying in a tuck, while keeping your back flat, pull your knees horizontally to the left and the right. hold for 15-30 seconds on each side. preform 3-5 reps of each

Hope that helps,
Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer & Fitness
facebook.com/cheerfullout
My daughter has had off & on lower back pain for 3 months. She was checked by a Dr & doesn't have any visible stress fractures. She's never had pain when tumbling, only with extreme stretching...i.e. trying to get a needle.She now only has pain when practicing kick back scorps (which I hate because she's so short it's hard for her to grab) & bridges that rock back & forth. I'm going to have her try these to see if it helps!

Just a simple bridge might help, I'm not great with stretches, sorry :( Also seal/cat stretches could relieve a little pain.

Thank you to everyone who has given me stretches! my back pain is now gone :) the stretches that have helped the most:
-the door frame stretch
-lay on your stomach lift each leg for 15 times, but don't let them touch the floor. do them on each leg 3 times.
-and then just general stretching.

I also learned that make sure you stretch each leg/side no matter what stretch it is. That can also cause back pain!

My daughter has had off & on lower back pain for 3 months. She was checked by a Dr & doesn't have any visible stress fractures. She's never had pain when tumbling, only with extreme stretching...i.e. trying to get a needle.She now only has pain when practicing kick back scorps (which I hate because she's so short it's hard for her to grab) & bridges that rock back & forth. I'm going to have her try these to see if it helps!

It is extremely important that flyers stretch not only their skill leg, but their balancing leg equally. if you only stretch one side mainly, the difference in flexibility on one side will alter movement patterns of everything you do in life.

These subtle changes create muscular imbalances, that cause subtle tissue trauma, inflammation and pain...
which will cause changes in movement patterns...
which will cause muscle imbalances...
which will cause trauma and pain...
which will cause altered movement patterns

You get the point. The name given to this phenomenon is called the "Cumulative Injury Cycle. I believe it is the main factor in lower back pain in flyers. So just remember... ALWAYS STRETCH BOTH SIDES EQUALLY

Back