All-Star .....bad Girls, Talkin' About Those Bad Bad Bad Girls.. Beep Beep...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DJ

Dec 14, 2009
Just heard the latest out of one of my favorite little 'Sleepy Hollow' gyms. :)

What happens if you have a kid that balks on their tumbling skill?

I understand it happens from time to time, but how do you as a coach handle this?

Is the "answer" a TIME OUT CORNER.

That you send the athlete to? I look forward to your replies. GO!

The right answer IMO is if they are not throwing the skill consistently within 3-4 weeks of competition it must come out. No sense punishing the team for the athlete that is bailing. The issue then is many kids and parents complain that you are not showing "faith" in Suzie getting it and that you are making her worse not better by not believing in her.

I would push her to do it at practices, but when competition time comes aroudn and shes still not throwing it, then take it out. No need to stress her, you, and the team out!

For me its not that I'm giving up on them but, I have to way out the options. Let them throw it and risk getting a deduction or pull it out and let them work on it for the next comp. I also feel like I am protecting them from getting hurt physically and emotionally. As much as you tell an athlete that it isn't there fault that they didnt win they will still feel like it was.

[quote="
What do you do when the team is practicing and an athlete balks in their tumbling?

Do you think a time out corner is an effective "coaching method" ?[/quote]

I would not agree with a time out corner or anything that singles them out. Usually that makes the problem worse. Pressure and negative attention (or really any attention at all) tends to feed into it. Best to take it out and let the incentive of it going back in be their motivation for getting the skill consistently. Believe me...they are just as frustrated, if not more so, than you or anyone on the team.

I think another factor is what level are they...level 5 world teams are a bit more harsh if you arent bringing it...

lakerfantlc said:
I think another factor is what level are they...level 5 world teams are a bit more harsh if you arent bringing it...

But nobody puts baby in a corner!

Seriously, they have to sit in a corner? Is it so they can meditate or is it a humiliation tactic. I just can't see it either way.

@mstealtoyou - Personal opinion I dont think so. As a tumbling instructor I am always trying to figure out why the athlete is bailing and working to resolve that. Using it as a coaching methodology within the context of a team practice brings a different level of peer shame and embarrassment to the athlete. I put it in the same boat as yelling screaming, belittling and cursing. Will it work for some. Sure. Do I think it is good, effective over the long term or advised? No.

When an athlete bails in tumbling continually, I bring them in for a free private or two to see what is going on. I see if they have had a growth spurt or weight loss/gain that may be affecting their center of gravity. I look at the tumbling section of the routine from their angle to see what they are seeing as they tumble. I watch their steps both in a relaxed setting and in the middle of a routine. I watch how fast they have to transition from one place to another. I check their stamina to see if they are just tired or if they are nursing an injury but don't want to say anything for fear of being taken out of the routine. Only after i have exhausted all of my resources within the gym and if their is no change then do I recommend a pass be taken out of the routine after consulting with the coach, athlete and parent as to my reasoning why. Then we set on a plan to get the pass back and better than ever.

But nobody puts baby in a corner!

Seriously, they have to sit in a corner? Is it so they can meditate or is it a humiliation tactic. I just can't see it either way.
totally agree.....any level in the corner.is just plain dumb....but I think the coaches are less sensitive about punishing the level 5's...as they should be...IMO

Many may not like my take on this, but if I were a parent and I found out that because my child is not throwing their pass the coach put them in the corner I would not be happy. Not because they "punished" my child but because I am paying money to help my child not to sit them in the corner and hope they learn their lesson. Punish them by making them condition in some way not sitting them in the corner so you don't have to deal with them.

I know for High School to "normal" policy is if you tried out with a skill, and you then stop throwing the skill you lose your spot on the floor, of course there are always exceptions to the rule. You HAVE to do what's best for the TEAM.

Back