Banging Knees Together

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

12stepCheermom

Best Parent and Grammar Teacher '14
Cheer Parent
May 10, 2011
Need some advice. My 12 year old has a new, gorgeous, technically awesome full. However, she's squeezing so hard (I would assume) and tumbling with her legs together (yay! That's a first!) but she keeps banging her knees together when she lands. She's giving herself horrible (I mean car wreck quality) bruises on the inside of both knees. It's bad. It's also causing her to back off, or not work on throwing more fulls, because it will hurt when her knees hit.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Has this happened to you and how do you fix it, or does it just go away as you build up endurance for it? Help...

I did this in my jumps! It was SO painful and I hated it!! For me it went away when we switched the way we landed jumps, we went from landing bent down to straight up. I'm not sure how to fix this in a full though, I have never done one... But when I do round offs my ankles knock together really hard, I get some pretty bruises there now. This sounds bad but I stop thinking about squeezing! Good luck to your daughter!!

What's happening is she is squeezing, and when she lands her knees either like loosen and absorb the power from her full by banging together or its just the pressure from landing and her knees being squeezed so tight. A video would really help me help you lol, but she has to find a common ground between squeezing and not over doing it

Took her to a private today with the coach that taught her the full. He said, and this makes total sense, that its a strength issue. She's squeezing like you said, and lands with her feet together, but she's not squeezing from her butt down through her ankles (only squeezing her feet) so her legs come apart at the knees and bounce off each other.

He did some strength training exercises with her and showed her brother how to do them with her at home. Said it will keep happening as she gets stronger but will get progressively better until she's strong enough to squeeze all the way through and keep them from bouncing against each other.

Yay answers and a plan! I love that coach!

12 year olds (and pretty much anyone younger than me) with fulls make me sad about my life. ):
But congratulations to her! You should be a proud mama. Hope you get the knee problem fixed so she's not reluctant to throw it!

When she is standing do her knees touch?
Yes, pretty much. She went to open gym today and the first few we're better, I think as her inner thighs got tired it got worse. She'll have black knees again in the morning poor thing. She did say they were sore today from the exercises.

Yes, pretty much. She went to open gym today and the first few we're better, I think as her inner thighs got tired it got worse. She'll have black knees again in the morning poor thing. She did say they were sore today from the exercises.
That sounds like it hurts really bad! Maybe see if she can keep her knees from touching when shes standing it won't hit when she fulls (just a thought).

Took her to a private today with the coach that taught her the full. He said, and this makes total sense, that its a strength issue. She's squeezing like you said, and lands with her feet together, but she's not squeezing from her butt down through her ankles (only squeezing her feet) so her legs come apart at the knees and bounce off each other.

He did some strength training exercises with her and showed her brother how to do them with her at home. Said it will keep happening as she gets stronger but will get progressively better until she's strong enough to squeeze all the way through and keep them from bouncing against each other.

I'm glad you figured it out:)

So glad I ran into this thread! I was having the same problem with my jumps.

So glad I ran into this thread! I was having the same problem with my jumps.
She worked herself our of it :) she barely hits them anymore. Repetition built the right muscles and she's good now. Took about 6 weeks all told.

Back