High School Basketball tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

national federation and accaa come before state rules though i thought? and according to accaa you cant full/twist on basketball court so shouldnt your state rule not matter at that point? so awesome they have talent, but they arent supposed to throw it unless they have a mat...

i could be wrong on this i guess but i think im right?

national federation and accaa come before state rules though i thought? and according to accaa you cant full/twist on basketball court so shouldnt your state rule not matter at that point? so awesome they have talent, but they arent supposed to throw it unless they have a mat...

i could be wrong on this i guess but i think im right?

NFHS puts out national guidelines, but leaves it up to states to be more specific/restrictive if they want. Some states regulate more down to their counties, but not too many that I have found. Spirit is a small area of the NFHS website. There is reference to cheerleader representatives helping to build the guidelines, but it appears that this whole system lacks actual cheerleaders to uphold the standards. I know of some areas that have very little regualtion = uncertified coaches trying to compete.

ACCAA gives a coaches certification and safety course and also puts out guidelines, but I have never seen them or NFHS police high schools anywhere. I've also never heard of a coach disciplined for being unsafe or negligent.

If anyone knows of an actual example where they have, let me know, because I've been trying to find one.

well I know in Maine that coaches have been turned into the mpa (Maine principles association ) for cheerleaders wearing jewelry during games and for having camp at the wrong time. I'm not what was done but it happened. so I'm She's people can turn teams in if They want I'm just not sure what will happen... but something should
the rules are there for a reason

I agree, something should happen. Just like your's, the stories I've heard are the ones about rules at a comp. Stuff like ineligible athletes, illegal stunts, and now. . .jewelry. For things like that there are warnings, deductions, or may cost the team a win.

I haven't heard of any coach or school getting any kind of discipline for something important like not following a safety rule (i.e. tumbling/stunting on a basketball floor) and then someone gets hurt.

this is the first year the accaa rule has really been in place I think. it was still new last year and lots of states didn't even go over it at their rules meeting. but I guess until its really enforced and there is action taken against the rule breakers people don't feel the need to follow it.

this is the first year the accaa rule has really been in place I think. it was still new last year and lots of states didn't even go over it at their rules meeting. but I guess until its really enforced and there is action taken against the rule breakers people don't feel the need to follow it.

Does ACCAA or NFHS give a mechanism to report safety infractions? I don't know of any or who to report them to. If people don't even to know who to report problems to, it's obviously not well publicized or could mean that there isn't even a system in place to handle this.

Which AACCA rule are you referring to? If it's no fulls on the gym floor I know that rule has been in place for a couple of years. I think (don't quote me) this is the third year for it.

AACCA, NFHS, and individual states have a big problem when it comes to regulating HS cheer.
First of all, you are depending on other coaches to be whistle blowers on other schools. That puts some coaches in a position they just don't want to be in, even if it is anonymous.
Secondly, the only thing the AACCA can do is take away your certification (which no one can prove has ever been done). We all know there are a ton of coaches out there that don't have any type of certification. So really what is the risk if no one ever gets hurt?
Third, The standard of care is so different from different states, and the AACCA or NFHS. While AACCA and NFHS tend to be on the same page we know states differ widely. If all of West Virginia competitions are on hard floor and they have to do fulls to win in their state, there are very few coaches that are going to follow AACCA or NFHS rules. And is it really their fault that their state isn't as stringent as AACCA or NFHS?
Fourth, all of the AACCA and NFHS rules and guidelines are seen by many as just suggestions. No one can really make a coach stop doing anything unless someone gets hurt and they get sued. That's a risk some coaches are willing to take.

In every other sport if a team does something illegal it won't fly because refs and judges would penalize the coach or team and they risk loosing the game or match. What we need for the NFHS (Not AACCA because pretty much all HS follow NFHS rules for all of their sports) to do is to enforce the rules for cheer. If they aren't followed then the SCHOOL gets fined. They need to hire people to go to each school at least once in a year and do spot checks and make sure during games they are following the rules. NFHS could pass off the cost for these people to the schools. The schools pay for refs for games and now if they want to have cheerleaders they would have to pay a fee to NFHS. I guarantee that if schools were being fined they would get their coach certified, or at the very least get the rules in the coaches hand and expect them to be followed. If the school is fined I'm sure the coach will probably be fired. The possibility of being fired would make coaches follow the rules.

I won't quote you, because it's kind of long, but this is one of the best suggestions I've heard so far.

My observations are like you just said, AACCA and NFHS rules are treated more like guidlines with little to no fear of consequence. Unfortunately, it puts many HS cheerleaders at a pretty sigificant risk. When people say "cheerleading is the most dangerous sport" they are talking about HS cheer, but unfortunately all of cheer gets lumped in together.

It may be tough for NFHS to regulate to the level you are stating, but if they delegate to the states and keep up with it maybe it wouldn't be as hard. A simple credential check at the beginning of the year would be better than nothing and may help eliminate a number of the HS coaches that are not AACCA certified. I am also not sure why it should only be up to coaches to report viloations. Parents and athletes or even spectators should be able to report, but the problem is that know knows where. Unless there is a threat of losing a competition, no one cares.

AACCA certification still doesn't prevent coaches from having kids do skills that they are not trained to teach/supervise. I wish AACCA could level certify similar to USASF and All Star

According to the NFHS you can tumble on the hard floor at games as long as it is during a full time out. The only limitation to what you can do is a full twisting layout.

Good Luck :)

same at my school. it was different before my old team started BHS's across the court; we could tumble during 30sec. timeouts but after our seniors started doing continuous BHS's and almost collided with a ref that wasn't paying attention, it changed.

Back