High School Basketball tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

yeah the wvssac is a MESS.. I wouldn't even say hot! it's the worst when they wax the floor we practice on and everybody is slipping everywhere tumbling! I was taught basically all my tumbling on wood floor or just a flat mat, transitioning back and forth from spring (when we take tumbling classes) to wood is horrible.. i don't throw fulls on the spring floor during high school cheer season because it messes me up so bad, I just wait till after it's over and then do it for all-stars. I wish we competed on a mat .. maybe then we would have less strict stunting rules and less injuries!!

Well, if someone were to get injured at a WVSSAC competition, they could sue....they are in violation of AACCA/NFHS regulations....that would shut down cheer comps though (potentially).

2 ways:
1. Someone takes a video or photo and reports it to the AACCA. Then they contact the school's athletic director about it and let them know the ramifications

2. Someone gets hurt. If someone gets hurt doing illegal tumbling on a hardwood floor, and the coach is AACCA certified..the AACCA will not stand behind that coach as they violated their regulations and went against their training. When that happens, it opens up the school and the coach personally for law suit. This typically means the coach is fired by the school, and potentially cheer is cut because they cost the school a couple million and it's horrible PR for the school (because you know something like this will end up in the news....the media LOVES to make cheer out to be this horrible blood bath of injuries).

1. I'm not sure where you read that, but I have never heard of AACCA taking action against a coach. If they would start removing safety certifications for coaches that would be a great start but someone please let me know if you've seen this happen.

2. I've also never heard of AACCA paying out a lawsuit for a coach that was not following safe practices. There are plenty of cases where it's clear the coach and cheer environment were unsafe, but that liability waiver that everyone signs when they start cheering ends up clearing the school and coach of consequences.

Parents have to not let their kids do unsafe things. A bad coach can get someone seriously injured and unfortunately give good coaches a bad name.

1. I'm not sure where you read that, but I have never heard of AACCA taking action against a coach. If they would start removing safety certifications for coaches that would be a great start but someone please let me know if you've seen this happen.

2. I've also never heard of AACCA paying out a lawsuit for a coach that was not following safe practices. There are plenty of cases where it's clear the coach and cheer environment were unsafe, but that liability waiver that everyone signs when they start cheering ends up clearing the school and coach of consequences.

Parents have to not let their kids do unsafe things. A bad coach can get someone seriously injured and unfortunately give good coaches a bad name.

I guess I wasn't clear.

1. The AACCA WILL contact the AD of a school doing illegal stunts at the high school level. They contact the AD and explain that if this continues and someone gets hurt, the AACCA will NOT stand behind the coach, as they were in violation of the rules. This leaves the school to fend for themselves in a lawsuit (which means they will most likely lose the lawsuit). I know this for a fact, as I have seen it happen.

2. The AACCA provides a $1M secondary insurance coverage for certified coaches. This means, if a cheerleader is injured and the certified coach WAS following AACCA regulations, they will provide secondary insurance (this is a huge help to school districts). In addition, a certified coach who IS following regulations is less likely to be found negligent in a lawsuit...it will fall to the assumption of risk contract that the athlete/parents signed at the start of the season.
However, if an AACCA certified coach is NOT following regulations and an athlete is injured and lawsuit occurs, the AACCA will NOT back that coach. This means that they will not provide the secondary insurance coverage. This leaves the school to payout the entire lawsuit on their own. In addition, if the coach was certified and did not follow the rules-they will most likely be found negligent in a lawsuit. The coach can be held personally responsible (lose their house) as well as the financial payout from the school (their insurance will cover some, but in addition to the balance of the payout their premium for athletic insurance will increase....this means an increase in the budget for next year). Also, this will be some big time negative PR for the school/district. IF they keep cheerleading, they would be ground bound for sure....if they even keep cheer. The coach would also be fired.

The problem is that I've seen Athletic Directors pass over AACCA certified coaches for non certified people.....they must think it's not important.

I am not trying to dispute what you're saying, I've read the policy, but I haven't seen a case where they paid the secondary policy or didn't back the coach even if he/she was negligent.

Can you show me one?

Yeah, we do fulls on the hardwood floor too.
I'd prefer to do them there than the hard cheer floor at our gym ha

I am not trying to dispute what you're saying, I've read the policy, but I haven't seen a case where they paid the secondary policy or didn't back the coach even if he/she was negligent.

Can you show me one?

SharkDad you have read the policy? What insurance company is it? What is the policy group number? I have yet to see an insurance policy much less a pay out. As for certification if you don't want to back the coach you must formally take away their certification and AACCA has NEVER done that.

Good point I've never seen an actual policy, just the statement on their website.

My point to Evergreen is the same. I'm not disputing her, but I'd like to see an example of what one of these insurance payouts or AACCA rules enforcements that she's seen.

Good point I've never seen an actual policy, just the statement on their website.

My point to Evergreen is the same. I'm not disputing her, but I'd like to see an example of what one of these insurance payouts or AACCA rules enforcements that she's seen.

Me too, I wouldn't rule it out per se, but I have never seen it nor a pay out either.

in new york it depends on national rules but also what your section coordinator dictates because we aren't a "sport". we get violations and warnings at sectionals and stuff for doing illegal things on hardwood but only if you're caught. for the most part you can get away with anything.

According to the NFHS you can tumble on the hard floor at games as long as it is during a full time out. The only limitation to what you can do is a full twisting layout.

Good Luck :)

I don't know why a coach would not want to follow the rules bottom line is if you are not following national Feds or your state rules and someone is hurt that coach can be found negligent. And if you choose to pretend you don't know the rules guess what...your still negligent. You take the coach job you take the responsibility to know the rules.

As a coach, It's not worth throwing a full on a hardwood floor instead of a matted surface in my opinion

Personally I don't agree with a lit of the rules we have to follow I don't think it's set up for proper progressions and some of the limitations are silly but what can you do?

welp according to accaa fulls/any twisting skill are illegal on basketball courts so your breaking the rules.

Brooke High is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!! IDK how the girls do it ! Pretty talented I must say...and in Ohio pretty much anything is allowed tumbling wise...stunting not so much. :) Just means if you REALLY wanna stunt, ya gotta do allstar! :D

Back