Batc @ National Harbor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

EXTREMELY :eek: ! I'm still trying to figure out how a lvl 1 youth team(91.49) can out score lvl 3,4, & 5 teams???

EXTREMELY :eek: ! I'm still trying to figure out how a lvl 1 youth team(91.49) can out score lvl 3,4, & 5 teams???
Well Im glad Im not the only one surprised!! Some of the scores I saw for some of the teams and levels really shocked me!!!!

Someone stated that the scores showing are probably what percentage of the points each team scored in thier level. I just looked at the score sheet and the maximum points a lvl 1 team can get is 184.5 points. Lvl 5 can get a maximum score of 240 points. 90% of 184.5 and 240 is 2 totally different points. 90% of Lvl 1 would be 166.05 points and lvl 5 would be 216. They need to do it correctly otherwise what they have makes absolutely no sense!

The score is a percentage of the total allowed at your level. So really lvl 1 90=167 and lvl 5 90=218. They r not really outscoring them. It makes sense, they are basically analyzing how well u do what u r allowed to do, instead of saying lvl 5's automatically win highest score bcuz they have the highest scoring bracket

I think this cost a lot of teams championships this weekend. A lot of coaches were thinking their deductions came out of that score on day 1. So if team A was in first with 91 and team B was in 3rd with 88 and 3 pts deduction they assumed they would have tied first with no deduction. When in actuality it may have only move their % up 1 pt or less. Really confusing I know, I think using % on the ranking sheet made zero sense, and was really not helpful to anyone.

The score is a percentage of the total allowed at your level. So really lvl 1 90=167 and lvl 5 90=218. They r not really outscoring them. It makes sense, they are basically analyzing how well u do what u r allowed to do, instead of saying lvl 5's automatically win highest score bcuz they have the highest scoring bracket
I undertand what they are trying to accomplish, but I hope the coaches or someone is explaining to the various levels that you actually did not outscore a level 5 team! It looks crazy, lol

I undertand what they are trying to accomplish, but I hope the coaches or someone is explaining to the various levels that you actually did not outscore a level 5 team! It looks crazy, lol
They still get the same pts for technique & execution, quantity, overall impression, formation, spacing, transitions, jumps, motion dance....thats 150 pts. So even if a lvl 1 maxed out their 34.5 score for stunt and tumble a lvl 5 team should outscore them in everything else..doesnt always happen

This percentage thing sounds like you're saying that a 3rd grader scoring a 95% on their math test is better at math than a 9th grader who scores a 90% on their math test. Is that a good comparison?

They still get the same pts for technique & execution, quantity, overall impression, formation, spacing, transitions, jumps, motion dance....thats 150 pts. So even if a lvl 1 maxed out their 34.5 score for stunt and tumble a lvl 5 team should outscore them in everything else..doesnt always happen
I got you!..That is probably why I was so surprised over a lot of the scores this weekend!....this is my cp's 2nd year in allstars..she is on youth 2 and junior 2 (8years old) tumbles level 3...even though i keep up with all the levels in all different gym's..i was very very surprised at some of the scores....

This percentage thing sounds like you're saying that a 3rd grader scoring a 95% on their math test is better at math than a 9th grader who scores a 90% on their math test. Is that a good comparison?
Better based on her expected skill lvl. Would u celebrate ur 9th graders C more than ur 3rd graders A, because "the work is harder"?

With the JamBrands (US Finals) Scoresheets, it is pretty confusing unless you do the math yourself too. For instance, most people would look at their team having an 88 with 3 points in deductions and 1st place had 90 so they think "oh I won without deductions." Nope...if you add those 3 points in to your raw score and do the percentage, it usually only bumps you up a small amount, but not the full 3 points. Being a coach I like both ways.

I would rather see a scoresheet that gives me total score with deductions so that I can see where you truly stand instead of having to do the math to figure it out.

With the JamBrands (US Finals) Scoresheets, it is pretty confusing unless you do the math yourself too. For instance, most people would look at their team having an 88 with 3 points in deductions and 1st place had 90 so they think "oh I won without deductions." Nope...if you add those 3 points in to your raw score and do the percentage, it usually only bumps you up a small amount, but not the full 3 points. Being a coach I like both ways.

I would rather see a scoresheet that gives me total score with deductions so that I can see where you truly stand instead of having to do the math to figure it out.
Exactly! I said this in another topic but I think that concept screwed a lot of teams this weekend, coastal should have explained this as this % thing is a new concept. I already knew it was percentage but it never registered that the deductions didn't add to that num until after I saw day 2 scores. And in talking to several coaches after day 1, I think this was a pretty widespread misconception. The reason I said it screwed a lot of ppl is bcuz they were thinking they were in a better position and therefore not implementing plan b, or making adjustments.

Back