All-Star Being On A Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheer Dad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2009
Talking with a friend she mentioned she met a guy that was on team X, but he may never have actually competed with them and that lead me to start thinking What defines someone as a member of a team? Is it only practicing with the team, do you need to compete at least once, being a designated alternate, etc...

Another scenario could be...Suzie tells everyone she is on team X though she is only an alternate and will never practice or compete unless someone gets hurt.

Just curious what everyone's thought is.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

My school cheer team has alternates. Girls who made the team as alternates knowing they they will cheer all games and participate in everything except competing.

As far as all stars, girls don't actually make my teams as alternates. You only BECOME an alternate via repeated absence, injury, etc. Even if you are an alternate, you are still "on the team" as you were placed on it, practice with us, but for whatever reason (repeated absence, injury, etc.) you are not taking the mat with them.

I think there is debate with athletes as to "Is she REALLY a World champ if she is (for example) an alternate for Top Gun Large Coed when they won their rings?"

In my eyes (from a coaching standpoint), yes.

It depends on the situation...

In my opinion, if you are practicing with the team all season and then got hurt...I would consider you still apart of the team.

I know a girl that was on her team and was injured. She was taken out for the season and still showed up, on crutches, to practices every day. She even went with her team to the summit. The team got second that year but if they had won I would totally expect her to get a ring. I'm sure they would have given her one. Even though she wasn't on the mat with them at the time, I feel as if she earned the right to wear the ring.

If your an alternate I would base my opinion of this on how the gym has classified that person. You could have a teammate from another team come fill in for 2 weeks and leave. Would I consider that person, "apart of the team?" Not really. However, if you practiced everyday with the team in order to be a fill in, just in case. I would consider that type of alternate "apart of the team." If you double compete and "Team X"' is secondary...you have never practiced with them...but you would fill in if needed...then, no, I would not consider that person "apart of the team".

Every gym has a different definition of an "alternate," so it's hard to say. Some alternates are there every practice and know the routine so they can jump in at a moment's notice, but at other gyms it's just someone on a lower team that they're like "if someone gets hurt you're going to fill in" but they don't come to the practices unless they're needed. In that case, I wouldn't consider them a part of the team (to be a world champion if their team won) because if they were never needed, they don't know the routine... how do they get to celebrate the win that they had no part of earning? But alternates that are there every practice deserve to celebrate the win and are definitely part of the team. (especially since even if they didn't compete, they probably filled in regularly at practices if people were missing)

Only partially relevant but I saw of 2 (?) cheerleaders that were on Lady Jags but alternates for TGLC for Worlds so they received 2 rings.

Just wondering how that could work? Surely if they were competing with LJ there is no way they could be on TGLC even in case of injury etc at Worlds?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

To me if you are placed on a team as an alternate at tryouts or during the season, are receiving team texts from the team rep, are included in the spirit wear order, have a uniform, and are with the team in warmup and backstage, you are a team member (regardless if you cross to another team).
If it's about the team and not individuals, that alternate is fulfilling the role they were brought in to do by supporting their team whether they ever take the mat or not. They should get a ring, jacket, whatever the 'team' gets at the comp that alternate is with them for.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Dixie, I agree if you are participating in team activities, attend practices and work during them then yes you are a member even of you don't compete but thinking more of a scenario like CheermommaRN mentioned. A cheerleader that is basically only on call and doesn't participate on team activities. I'll even go as far to include maybe they voluntarily attend a practice or two without being required.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

What if you leave a team very early in the season due to injury...never come back to any other team event, then show up at the last practice before worlds/NCA, travel with a friend to end of season prestigious competition, take the mat with them at awards and end up with a jacket/ring?

What if you leave a team very early in the season due to injury...never come back to any other team event, then show up at the last practice before worlds/NCA, travel with a friend to end of season prestigious competition, take the mat with them at awards and end up with a jacket/ring?

did this happen!?

Back