All-Star Bhs At Home

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
CP has been struggling to get her BHS pretty for over a year now. She performed it last season, but like I said it's not pretty. Also her routine was much slower last year so it was easier. She and both I think she is in danger of being moved in the routine if it doesn't get better.

She has been taking classes and the instructor told me "she has it, she lacks confidence" FTR I didn't ask. It was the 1st and only time I had ever spoken with him and she's been taking classes with him for about 6 weeks now. I am trying to just let this be her thing. She does it well when a spotter is next to her. But of course she needs to do it on the floor by herself.

My question is: at what point is it safe to tumble at home? Classes 1-2 times a week don't seem to be enough. They are just starting to run tumble thru's of the routine so time at the gym for regular practice doesn't offer much. Since the instructor says she has it, it may be a matter of getting the reps in to build confidence.

My kid is such a rule follower and she has always heard not to tumble at home . But I dont see how else she will get the reps in.

CP has been struggling to get her BHS pretty for over a year now. She performed it last season, but like I said it's not pretty. Also her routine was much slower last year so it was easier. She and both I think she is in danger of being moved in the routine if it doesn't get better.

She has been taking classes and the instructor told me "she has it, she lacks confidence" FTR I didn't ask. It was the 1st and only time I had ever spoken with him and she's been taking classes with him for about 6 weeks now. I am trying to just let this be her thing. She does it well when a spotter is next to her. But of course she needs to do it on the floor by herself.

My question is: at what point is it safe to tumble at home? Classes 1-2 times a week don't seem to be enough. They are just starting to run tumble thru's of the routine so time at the gym for regular practice doesn't offer much. Since the instructor says she has it, it may be a matter of getting the reps in to build confidence.

My kid is such a rule follower and she has always heard not to tumble at home . But I dont see how else she will get the reps in.

I think most coaches would say that it is never truly safe to tumble at home.
Have you thought of putting her in privates so that she can get the individualized attention?
You might just need to sit back and let her figure it out. At home, she will not have the coaches there for correction which could lead to more bad habits.
And even if she gets moved now because her BHS is not where they want it to be doesn't mean that she won't be where she needs to be in a few months.
Try not to put her in too many classes/privates to where she burns out.
A cheap route might be to have her go to open gyms.

At this time not a good idea, especially if it’s the confidence she’s lacking.......she will be more upset about getting injured and being completely out instead not having the perfect HS!

I’m totally on board with the no tumbling at home rule. I’ve actually sprained my wrist twice doing so. I’m the kind of person that I always want to be doing something to better my tumbling and I think drills are key. I would ask the coach for more specialized drills because they’ll know exactly what will be beneficial.

Please don't. If she begins to do the skill with incorrect technique, it will be much harder to fix that habit later in classes. And the chance of injury is always much higher without proper equipment and spotting.

You can try privates, to get her more reps. I would also ask for conditioning drills for her to work at home. Being stronger will always help the skills. Finally, if she is this close, she'll do it when she's ready. I've seen many kids who 'have' a skill (myself included) who can't do it without spot, who have to truly decide they want the skill and can do the skill before they can. Once that changes the skill seems to 'magically' appear. The mind has a lot to do with tumbling, once the physical strength and skill is there

ETA - She may say she wants it, but if she doubts her ability, she won't. It's a mind shift that I'm talking about

Back