All-Star "big Cheer Hair"... Halp?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 14, 2012
So this year my squad has decided on (kill me) the "higher than your bow" teased and curled pony for comps. My hair currently touches my tailbone when it's down and in a high pony comes to my mid back/bra strap kind of area - any other girls with long hair had to do this? Tips would be so greatly appreciated! I am contemplating a smoed twins bob just to avoid the hassle of this unfortunate decision :(

So this year my squad has decided on (kill me) the "higher than your bow" teased and curled pony for comps. My hair currently touches my tailbone when it's down and in a high pony comes to my mid back/bra strap kind of area - any other girls with long hair had to do this? Tips would be so greatly appreciated! I am contemplating a smoed twins bob just to avoid the hassle of this unfortunate decision :(
Try this thread:
Cheer - Cheer Hair Thread | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

I teased about 30 people's hair at worlds. Girl get you a good teasing comb and tease until you can't anymore. Do it in sections, the more time you take on it the better it will turn out. I usually put 4 hair ties in someone's hair just so the pony tail shows over the bow. Also teasing you hair works better if you don't wash it the night before, I know that sounds gross but it works! Just remember the higher your hair, the closer to God!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Have you seen the Spirit of Texas hair tutorial on YouTube? If not, search that up. It should be pretty helpful.

tease the living everything out of your pony tail focusing on the base & when you get out that hair spray start by spraying it upside down & letting it dry there then spray the top & push up on the ponytail holding it where you want it to stay while spraying. works for me :)

What I do is flip my pony ontop my bow (so its like all in my face) then I grab the bottom section and I hairspray it and then tease tease TEASE!! Then hairspray it again. I end up having like 5-ish layers of this, and It should be higher than your pony!

You'll want to get a teasing brush like this:

cricket-amped-up-teasing-brush-278x278.jpg

And what someone on here fondly refers to as "hair crack," AKA Big Sexy Hair Powder Play:
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
777-7911.jpg

You only need a bit of the powder play. It puts texture in your hair to make the tease hold. If you have silky hair like mine, the tease will fall right out within a few minutes without this stuff.

I used to get a higher than Heaven pony before teasing (I'm ancient) by splitting my pony in half (top half, bottom half) and wrapping another ponytail holder around the bottom half. It bumps up the ponytail but you can't see the additional holder because it's covered by the top half.

Teasing comb and lots of got to be glued ( yellow and grey can) The girls on fab 5 have some really long hair and they all look amazing when they are on the matt. Mine isnt as long so I cant complain, but we also do the high bumps, high teased pony with cheer curls. LOOKS awesome! cant wait for this season to start!

I have really long hair, and I've found that the higher my ponytail is and the more hair ties I use, the more success I have making my hair higher than my bow. I start with a layer in the front, tease it, curl it, hair spray it, then flip it over my bow. I do that until my whole ponytail is done, then I comb the top section to make sure it doesn't look tangled. :)

You'll want to get a teasing brush like this:

cricket-amped-up-teasing-brush-278x278.jpg

And what someone on here fondly refers to as "hair crack," AKA Big Sexy Hair Powder Play:
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
777-7911.jpg

You only need a bit of the powder play. It puts texture in your hair to make the tease hold. If you have silky hair like mine, the tease will fall right out within a few minutes without this stuff.

I used to get a higher than Heaven pony before teasing (I'm ancient) by splitting my pony in half (top half, bottom half) and wrapping another ponytail holder around the bottom half. It bumps up the ponytail but you can't see the additional holder because it's covered by the top half.

Sometimes a do a friend's hair for her (on a diff. team), and I was curious if the powder helps with ULTRA thin hair?

I'd highly recommend "What a Tease: Backcomb in a bottle" by Big Sexy Hair. It works insanely well and holds literally all day long.
The trick is to
1. Section your ponytail as you go.
2. Spray the hairspray as close to the root of the ponytail as possible.
3. Tease the area that you sprayed all to heck.
4. Smooth out the edges of what you teased.
5. Curl the section and set that piece aside.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it makes some good looking hair.
Also, if your hair is really thick, you could divide your hair in half (like for a half up-half down hairstyle) and put the lower section in a ponytail. Then
when you put the upper half in a ponytail, include the lower ponytail. It would prevent your hair from weighing itself down.
I hope that helps.

Back