All-Star Hair Piece For Growing Out Short Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 17, 2010
Last year my daughter had a short bob all year and I loved not having to do "cheer hair." She is currently growing it out and has been taking biotin since July. Unfortunately her hair is just touching her shoulders and still pretty fine and thin. So, her hair is too long to wear down, but putting it in a high pony she has lots of pieces falling down I will have to gel/bobby pin up. She still looks like Pebbles Flintstone with her ponytail.

What do you think of this ponytail extension? It's the 18" Simply Straight Pony. I am thinking the "Butter Toast" will match her hair.
18" Simply Straight Pony by Hairdo | Ultimate Looks Hairpieces

I cannot find online reviews for this company. Usually I try to find online reviews prior to placing an order. I am just looking for a straight pony. Sometimes her team does curl so a piece that can be curled would be good too. I am thinking of ordering this but looking for reviews and opinions. I know I will have to sew it in to secure it. Also, this piece is 18 inches long so if that is too long on the top of her head, I will take it to the salon we always go to and ask to have them trim it to a more appropriate length. She is 11 and a flyer on Senior 4. She has never had long hair (but really wants long hair).

I am not sure if I can find something to match her hair locally that will work for competitions. I would need it for this weekend so the expedited shipping is as much as the pony itself so looking for feedback. I may look locally at a few stores in the morning.

What do you think? Not about hair pieces in general, but if you think this piece will work for what we are wanting. I know the majority of people don't like cheer hair pieces, but I think this is different because we are not trying to do the cheer curls style but look more like a natural ponytail.

I've never had a good experience with hair marketed as a pony tail. They generally look incredibly fake. I would check your local Sally's for clip ins and then just clip them in upside down to pull it all up. If you go with clip ins, then you have them if your gym ever switches to half up half down, or if she ever just really wants long hair.

A bunch of moms talked about getting hair pieces this year, me bc our youngest has hair similar to yours in length and texture. Others bc it would be easier and not so harsh on the hair vs teasing and curling. Ended up not getting them. Worried about them falling out. Nothing worse then a weave on the mat mid routine! We did lots and lots of barrettes and hairspray to hold the back hairs up in a pony. Good luck!

I recommend getting normal extension and flipping up side down and and then have an extra layer of hair to cover them (on the back of her head), and hairspray them as much as possible, and use bobby pins if you have to! I personally dont like the pony tail clip ins because they're hard to blend in.

first pic is how my ponytail looks like without my fake hairpiece (sorry, not my best picture)
2j3169u.jpg

this is what it looks like when I do put in the fake hair (person all the way on the left in black)
2e1akon.jpg

vx14ep.jpg

it's a straight clip in i bought at Claires. i made a ponytail with only a bit of my hair, then clip the fake hair around that tiny ponytail, make a new ponytail with the fake hair and put the leftover hair over it, then tie it. (does that make sense? I know there are some instructional videos that show it this way on YouTube).
to make the curls, i made it wet and put some foam rollers in it, leave it to dry for a few nights. to make it straight again, just wash it again.

I only had to use it two times, therefor I bought a cheap one. if you plan on using it more often, Id invest in a more expensive one of real hair so you can use a curling iron and flat iron and then at the salon they can dye it the right color you need.

I wouldn't recommend an actual ponytail piece. They tend to look really fake. Head to Sally's and pick up extension strips and put them in like the posters above recommended.

I use real hair extensions in Jaylen's hair. It's not marketed as a ponytail like this so im not sure.

But I actually put them in her hair every comp! They come straight and I curl them but I don't have to curl them they could be straight if that's what I needed!

Yep - Sally clip ins is what we use. The ones that are real hair, so you can style them. They're not cheap, but they last a long time. Cp20 can usually get a good 6 months out of them, and she colors them, curls them, flat irons them etc - she also wears them every day!!!

We are using a ponytail for dance (the clip on kind, like the one you posted), but it's only for one dance so they have to be able to change in and out of it quickly. If you don't need to change it in the middle of competition, I'd go with the regular clip in extensions.

I'd recommend going to a hair store....the kind in a strip mall typically owed by an Asian family (I don't know how else to word it so...) and having one of the girls that works there recommend something and match your daughters hair. It will typically be way cheaper and those weave-ologist know what they're talking about.

When I was a senior in high school we used these ponytail extensions Rampage, Reversible Claw Clip/Drawstring Hairpiece by Easihair - WOW WIGs.com

They actually looked extremely real. We got asked so many times if you had to have a certain hair length to be in the group(obviously no haha). They're nice because they have claw combs that hook into your hair and then you tighten it with a drawstring that you tuck into your hair and secure it as you wish with bobby pins(I never need any because it was secure enough but other girls used them). Here's some pictures to show you how they look
a5185ccda1a3886880a6388cbb4c73b1.jpg
e37b0fa938f1104f39fe36c331d7a625.jpg
dd74f048cd72e618ee18eda069762198.jpg

I'd recommend going to a hair store....the kind in a strip mall typically owed by an Asian family (I don't know how else to word it so...) and having one of the girls that works there recommend something and match your daughters hair. It will typically be way cheaper and those weave-ologist know what they're talking about.
Drag queen here: not only does this accurately describe my hair store, but I agree.

I personally would buy a bag of hair in the color you want (2 bags if you can though youll only ever need a bag and a half on one head, but having left overs csn be handy) and then add clips to the wefts myself because it'd be cheaper and you could get more accurate color matching but that's just me.

Your first time in an ethnic beauty store when you're white can tbh be kind of daunting, feel free to pm me op if you want some tips or a tutorial on sewing/gluing clips on to wefts!

My hair was at that awkward length one time when half up. Instead of straightening, why dont you just curl her hair? I used to have to do it and it made my hair look a lot shorter.

I call them black beauty supply stores. For anyone wanting hair pieces and odds and ends beauty products,they are the best places to go. It always amazes me that those girls know so much about hair and make up,not matter where you go.

Thanks everyone. I found her extensions at Sally's that will work. We have to follow our gym rules on hair which is typically a pin straight pony on day 1 and half-up/half-down curled day 2.

I call them black beauty supply stores. For anyone wanting hair pieces and odds and ends beauty products,they are the best places to go. It always amazes me that those girls know so much about hair and make up,not matter where you go.

Yeah I call them that too

Back