OT Books To Read Over The Summer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@cheerislove8 I DEFINITELY recommend reading anything by Mitch Albom, so if you have time, I'd read For One More Day also. Read those in high school and they're absolutely amazing, as everyone else has said hhah. And Jodi Picoult is my favorite author so I also recommend The Pact, House Rules, Nineteen Minutes, Handle With Care... basically anything. If you've seen the movie for My Sister's Keeper, the book is way better, just an FYI! For anyone looking for a quick easy read, I'd suggest The Outsiders. We read it in 7th grade and 11 years later it's still my all time favorite book!! Enjoy =)

Anything by Jodi Picoult is GREAT, i haven't read one of her books that I don't like. The Flowers In the Attic series is really good, but very creepy and weird so I guess you have to be into that kind of stuff to like it, but it is definitely worth it. For easier reads I love the Private Series by Kate Brian, and Pretty Little Liars. I also read The Five People you Meet In Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie, both great books as everyone has said! I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but i'm sure ill come up with some more :)

Like everyone has said prettty much all Mitch Albom books are amazing, the only one I haven't read is Have A Little Faith and thats sitting on my desk after I finish the one I'm reading now! But yes to all the Jodi Picoult books, I've read The Pact, and Nineteen Minutes so far, and I'm currently into Salem Falls and they have to be some of the best books I've read, so definitely look into those, and all the books mentioned by those authors!

But thanks for starting this thread too, I love to read and this thread gave me ideas for more books to read! Thanks ya'll.

Jodi Picoult is my favorite.I've read all her books, and she's AMAZING!
Some other good ones:
The time travelers wife-my favorite book.ever.
Lovely Bones
Anything by Nicholas Sparks
Water for elephants
The Kite runner
I'm a bit of a book nerd, let me know if you need more suggestions!

I'm a librarian...but I'm terrible at suggesting books... don't know why. I'm a big fan of chick-lit books so here goes...

For Teens:
13 Reasons Why
(Young girl commits suicide, she leaves behind a series of tapes that each recipient has to listen to and pass on to the next person. Each person has contributed to her suicide in some way. If they tapes stop being passed along, there is a second set of tapes that will be made public) Movie is rumored to be coming out in 2012 w Selena Gomex
A Time for Dancing
(Best friends, once gets cancer, story of their friendship from their alternating points of view) Prepare to cry
The Further You Run
Sequel to A Time for Dancing.
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
If I Stay
(Girl is in a car accident with her family, she chooses whether to live or die)
Hate List
(A girls boyfriend becomes the school shooter...this book is told from her POV during the aftermath...amazing book)
Perks of Being a Wallflower
(personally I wouldnt suggest this book to young teens)
The Pretty Little Liars Series
(new book out this July)
The Lying Game
(same author as PLL...I personally thought the book was terrible...but I'm not a teen so)
Blue Bloods Series (vampire books)

Older Teens/Twenties (mainly chick lit books)
Something Borrowed
Something Blue
Heart of the Matter
Love the One You're With
Baby Proof
(all of these books are by Emily Giffin...you can't go wrong with her books!)
Sophaholic Series
Can You Keep a Secret
Remember Me
Undomestic Goddess
(Sophie Kinsella...great author can't go wrong w her either)
Chasing Harry Winston
Sweet Valley Confidential (I thought it was crap and insulting to the series...but if you grew up on the Sweet Valley series...read it)
The Secret Life of Bees
5 People You Meet in Heaven
Tuesdays with Morrie
Queen of Babble
Queen of Babble in the Big City
Queen of Babble Gets Help

I'm currently reading The Help, Before I Die, Before I Fall and The Girls (yes all at once..)

anything by jodi picoult is amazing! as well as anything by sara dessen!
water for elephants
the memory keeper's daughter
to kill a mockingbird (read it for school, and it's now one of my favorites!)

The Last Lecture- Randy Pausch
Marley & Me- Josh Grogan
Heaven is for Real- Todd Burpo
Marked- P.C. and Kristin Cast (This is the first book in the of the House of Knight Series)
A Child Called It- Dave Pelzer

And I just bought "The White Queen" by Philipppa Gregory, "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins and "I am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore. I'll let ya know how all those go once I finish reading them.

im OBSESSED with nicholas sparks! those are the only books i actually like reading so i just read them over and over :) if you have only watched the movies of dear john, the notebook, walk to remember your for sure missing out. I LOVE THEMMM <3

@PghxCheer2 I watched the Last Lecture in my Leadership class my junior year and I don't think I will ever forget it. It is an amazing and motivating story. Thank you VERY much for reminding me how badly I want to read this book! I typically always like books better than movies, but I know both will make me cry either way. I highly recommend reading this first and then actually watching the lecture. Thanks again for writing this ha I am definitely adding it to the top of my long list of summer books to read!

I read The Last Lecture on my own time and it was a great book! It's pretty short (good for those who don't like reading) and the pages seem to fly by, but it has so many great messages in it. I was surprised when our professor made us watch a clip in one of my classes last semester.
13 Reason's Why was great as well as the Hunger Games series. The Alex Rider series is also really good if you like action books. Neil Shusterman has some great books (Everlost, Undwind, Full Tilt); all have a weird plot with a twist but worth your time reading. There is a series out called the Maze Runner series (actually I think its a trilogy, but I'm not positive if the third book is out.) Anyways, I've read the first book, The Maze Runner, and it's very similar to The Hunger Games with the way it's written and the plot and even the dark themes. If you liked The Hunger Games, you'll like The Maze Runner. But, The Hunger Games will still always be my favorite.

Here's a tip for when you're trying to find a new book to read:
Go to Amazon.com.
Type in your all time favorite book or a book whose theme you enjoyed reading.
Click on the books page.
Scroll down to the section where it says: "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" and look through those books. Chances are you will find a book in the same genre of the book you looked up. This is how I find most of my books and I find so many books I have made lists of 20+ books I want to read.

I have to re-read the Harry Potter books before the last movie comes out and I suggest everyone reads them as well! ;)

Back