OT Books To Read Over The Summer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I have to re-read the Harry Potter books before the last movie comes out and I suggest everyone reads them as well! ;)
I did that for the first few movies, and then found that I disliked the movie much more when I had just read the book! I noticed the differences wayy too much with it fresh in my mind haha.

I did that for the first few movies, and then found that I disliked the movie much more when I had just read the book! I noticed the differences wayy too much with it fresh in my mind haha.
The same thing would happen to me but I felt like they did a fairly good job staying true to the book in the last movie. Hopefully they'll do the same for this next one.

ANYTHING by Nicholas Sparks (he's amazing)
The Center Of Everything by Laura Moriarty
Like Water for Chocolate

Harry Potter series (sooo excited for the new movie!!)
Twilight series (who hasn't read those?)
The Secret (not really I novel but it was still pretty good and it actually works!)
The Cirque Du Freak (Vampire's Assistant) series (I know it might sound strange and a lot of people didn't like the movie, but the books are so much better then the movie! I picked up the first three [all in one book] to read when I went to Daytona for vacation last summer and I finished them in like 3 days!)
The Blue Blood series (not like the tv show!!)
Go Ask Alice (I finished that one in like a day...)

well alot of you have named alot of my favorites so far, so that's good, i shouldnt have too much of a list then! haha i'm a total book nerd. i reread the harry potter series every summer, and then any other book i can get my hands on. i recently just finished let me in. it was AMAZING but totally creeptastic and very visual/graphic. its a vampire novel, but let me say its definitely no twilight. this takes vampires to the extreme. i have now gotten myself on a stephen king kick, and im a little over halfway through duma key, and i cant put it down. its a long one, but it reads quickly.
i loved the book mirror mirror by gregory maguire. his books are a hit or miss... you can normally tell when hes trying too hard. hes also the author of wicked, which, I LOVE the musical, but the book was very long and slow. it was hard to get through.
another good read is candles burning by tabitha king. this one is also very graphic though, and, you can assume if shes related to stephen king,extremely intense. but it was awesome.
im actually real big on books we've had to read for school too.... i loved: 1984, great gatsby, the scarlet letter, a handmaids tale (one of my favorite books!), kite runner, fever 1793, and there are more. i just cant think right now. my brain is fried, i'll have to come back later when i think of more :)

The Millenium Trilogy : Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet Nest. All amazing books written by an amazing author. The Dragon Tattoo book is currently getting the hollywood treatment but all the books have Swedish movies (they are swedish books) that can be watched with subtitles that are also good.

All Alice Sebold books: The Lovely Bones, Lucky, and Almost Moon. Lucky is her own memoir and of course many have read The Lovely Bones, but Almost Moon is one most haven't heard of and is a quick, easy, and good read.

Auguston Burroughs books: Running With Scissors is his most popular books, and my personal favorite of all time, but he has several others which are all (including running with scissors) about his life growing up. They are so far out that it is hard to believe it is true but they are all great reads.

The Classics: George Orwell's 1984, Animal Farm, The Catcher in the Rye, Wuthering Heights, ect. I would consider these all books that should be read by everyone. They are classic and serious reads that should be on everyone's bookshelf.

Chelsea Handler: ALL of her books, there are now 4 total. If you want something very casual and hilarious I would go with these. Very easy to read in a day while laying by the pool. The 4th book I don't believe is written by her but about her instead (I haven't picked it up yet).

I really want to read Tuesday's With Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven (both by Mitch Albom). I heard these are both really good! This past summer I read My Sisters Keeper, and that of course was awesome. I've also heard really good things about The Pact, which is also by Jodi Picoult if you are in to her books.
19 minutes by Picoult is amzing

Karen Kingsbury Redemption series- the are Christian Fiction and follow a family through their life. There are 15 in the series. I am so connected with the families in these stories. I just finished the 10th one this summer. Have to get the rest from my friend.

More Serious-
*Water for Elephants,
*Memoirs of a Geisha was good but a little slow,
The Tenth Circle- Another great Jodi Picoult
*Go Ask Alice-The anonymous journal of a teenaged girl who winds up addicted to drugs. Takes place in the 70's. Sad ending
*Crank-Ellen Hopkins, the lines in this book are so cool and it's a great story
More Silly-
Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging- There are nine books that follow these. They're a little juvenille but have thier moments
Romance-
Waiting For You-Susanne Colasanti
*Perfect Chemestry- Simone Elkeles
*Beautiful Disaster-Jamie McGuire
*Forever Mine-Elizabeth Reyes
Let me tell you now. Don't read Sarah Dessen. Too predictable...
Cheer Related-
Cheer!-Kate Torgovnick, follows three college squads on the way to Nationals, true stories, Hellcats is based on this
*Rated M for Mature Audiences for language, drug use, sexual content, and violence

So I have sitting on my bedside table:
After by Amy Efaw
Sold by Patricia McCormick
The Missing Girl by Norma Fox Mayer
Instructions for A Broken Heart by Kim Culbertson (I had to get one fluff book :))

Has anyone read any of them? What do you think?

The Cinderella Society
The House of Night Series
Just Listen
My Sisters Keeper
The Private Series (I'm addicted!)
13 Reasons Why

Back