All-Star Bounding Passes Going Away Soon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I had to guess, this discussion was not about Senior 5. But maybe youth or Sr restricted or maybe Jr in future rules cycles.

Sr Restricted I thought you couldn't do bounding skills? If one was following proper progression I would think reaching bounding skills wouldn't occur till you are 12 or so.... Unless you are an exceptional tumbler...

I understand safety, but I would love to see 15 years from now, allstar cheerleading has grown in creative, challenging tricks rather than eliminating what could be.

Certifying coaches, not eliminating "dangerous" aspects of cheer will help avoid injury.

Certification is a way of covering ones butt, not ensuring someone knows what they are doing. I am not for getting rid of bounding passes, but we need to be clear. Having a certificate is a way for a coach to point at something if someone gets hurt and say they were trained properly and cannot be sued.

Certification is a way of covering ones butt, not ensuring someone knows what they are doing. I am not for getting rid of bounding passes, but we need to be clear. Having a certificate is a way for a coach to point at something if someone gets hurt and say they were trained properly and cannot be sued.

Completely get it, I really didn't know how to put it. My thought process was we shouldn't be limiting the potential of cheer to make it safer, we just need to improve the quality of which tumbling and everything is taught. How someone would orchestrate that, I have no clue, but just my opinion on the subject.

I really can't imagine this happening. We spoke about a lot of controversial issues at the USASF West Coast Regional Meeting & this was definitely not one of them. I think this would be a huge step backwards for our industry & I can't see many people voting towards it.

Sr Restricted I thought you couldn't do bounding skills? If one was following proper progression I would think reaching bounding skills wouldn't occur till you are 12 or so.... Unless you are an exceptional tumbler...
for restricted you can't bound into a full or tumble out of a full. Fulls must be preceded by a round off or back handspring

I really can't imagine this happening. We spoke about a lot of controversial issues at the USASF West Coast Regional Meeting & this was definitely not one of them. I think this would be a huge step backwards for our industry & I can't see many people voting towards it.

I agree. I would have to assume that there would be a large chunk of people that would push back against this. When you think of top 10 worlds teams in all divisions, you usually see a few.....all the way up to a huge portion of the team, throwing some sort of bounding skills. They have become a huge part of standing and running tumbling in routines, particularly co-ed teams. I can't imagine a majority supporting elimination of bounding passes. I'm glad to hear they are not discussing it in the west.

Anyone from the South, East, North, Midwest?

Perhaps they can limit them but not restrict them? Maybe you can't do more than 2 bounding skills connected. Or limit the number of twists involved, etc.

I've never been a fan of eliminating or restricting skills...rather just regulating the coaches teaching them.

I see what you are getting at but you cant completely regulate the "coaches" teaching them. Because I have seen a lot of kids learning them from other kids, in the streets and from parents who are not technically "coaches." Also remember that in todays climate if a parent wants Suzy to learn a tumbling skill and she is not allowed to learn it at one gym - for whatever reason - she will take her elsewhere to learn it.

What you could do along with the safety certification for coaches is regulate what coaches are allowed to have their athletes compete them in sanctioned events. That is the path I believe we should go down and not just simply outlaw the skills. Athletes get hurt doing Cartwheels and Back Handsprings so do we outlaw them too? Especially since they are usually novices at that stage so it actually increases their chances of being injured? Unfortunately injuries and risk are a part of this sport. A certified coach should know how to balance both and not just give into the ego of the athlete,the pressure of peers, the score sheet, or the greater cheer community demanding something that is not worth the risk for the athlete. The athlete comes first, not the win or the accolades.

What you could do along with the safety certification for coaches is regulate what coaches are allowed to have their athletes compete them in sanctioned events. That is the path I believe we should go down and not just simply outlaw the skills. .

Could you elaborate on this? Are you saying that only certain teams should be allowed to throw bounding skills because their coach, or tumbling coach has been "approved" to teach bounding skills? Example: Top Gun is approved because Victor taught them correctly? I don't THINK that is what you are trying to say, but just want to clarify.....

As the mother of a child who broke her femur doing a bounding skill I guess I am indifferent to it. Can't say I ever thought they need to stop these skills but I still cringe and have a hard time watching a girl throw whip doubles. Especially after I did some research on the high amount of injuries in females doing that skill :(

Could you elaborate on this? Are you saying that only certain teams should be allowed to throw bounding skills because their coach, or tumbling coach has been "approved" to teach bounding skills? Example: Top Gun is approved because Victor taught them correctly? I don't THINK that is what you are trying to say, but just want to clarify.....

Not at all. I am saying that any coach from any program who has been properly trained and certified would at least be keenly aware of the increased risk for injury for those types of passes. USAG, USAIGC, Power Tumbling, Sports Acro all seem to identify great ways in training coaches to teach these types of skills. USASF needs to offer more in training coaches not just in technique of tumbling but in acceptable risk. If we actually do a better job of training all coaches in safety instead of the joke we now have then that would be sufficient. This would not completely eliminate the risk but would minimize it, which is what we should be doing.