All-Star Bounding Passes Going Away Soon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Whoever posted this clearly did it for the rise they are getting out of all of you, i don't see this happening.

Whoever posted this clearly did it for the rise they are getting out of all of you, i don't see this happening.

Obviously you do not know the OP. She is not given to posting rumors, innuendo, or just to get a rise out of anyone. She simply asked a question based on what she heard and asked for info. Much better question than thread than who is going to Win Worlds in ________ division for the umpteenth time.

I see what you are getting at but you cant completely regulate the "coaches" teaching them. Because I have seen a lot of kids learning them from other kids, in the streets and from parents who are not technically "coaches." Also remember that in todays climate if a parent wants Suzy to learn a tumbling skill and she is not allowed to learn it at one gym - for whatever reason - she will take her elsewhere to learn it.

What you could do along with the safety certification for coaches is regulate what coaches are allowed to have their athletes compete them in sanctioned events. That is the path I believe we should go down and not just simply outlaw the skills. Athletes get hurt doing Cartwheels and Back Handsprings so do we outlaw them too? Especially since they are usually novices at that stage so it actually increases their chances of being injured? Unfortunately injuries and risk are a part of this sport. A certified coach should know how to balance both and not just give into the ego of the athlete,the pressure of peers, the score sheet, or the greater cheer community demanding something that is not worth the risk for the athlete. The athlete comes first, not the win or the accolades.

What your saying goes right back on the responsibility of the coaches. In our gym once we have our routines you are not allowed to work skills outside skills until you can do everything in the routine solid with proper technique and that's to make sure the routine is your priority, no one on the team suffers from one athletes injury and to make sure the athlete is conditioned to where they need to be.

If coaches made sure there kids were properly conditioned physically to execute these skills and safely oversaw the teaching of the skills it would greatly improve athletes safety.

Im not saying accidents don't happen but are coaches going far enough to try and prevent them while still pushing athleticism?

Obviously you do not know the OP. She is not given to posting rumors, innuendo, or just to get a rise out of anyone. She simply asked a question based on what she heard and asked for info. Much better question than thread than who is going to Win Worlds in ________ division for the umpteenth time.
Thats what I was thinking, @Level5Mom seems to be one of the nicest people on here. Shes definitely not a person that would be trying to stir up drama.

That would be ridiculous. Cheer is a sport and there will be injuries. Just because people get injured doesn't mean that the skills should be banned. Like everyone has said the coaches need to train the athletes correctly and only have them do this kind of tumbing if they are actually ready for it. I don't see this happening but you never know... When Olga Korbut did the first standing back tuck on beam in the 1970's it was banned as it was considered too dangerous.

If this is true, I believe the idea probably has been passed around before, I am curious what Debbie Love has to say about it. Her daughters both do bounding passes and I am sure have worked hard to get them. I love hearing her insights regarding tumbling so it would be interesting to hear what she has to say about an issue like this.

You clearly don't know the posters around here well enough to make that judgement.

What your saying goes right back on the responsibility of the coaches. In our gym once we have our routines you are not allowed to work skills outside skills until you can do everything in the routine solid with proper technique and that's to make sure the routine is your priority, no one on the team suffers from one athletes injury and to make sure the athlete is conditioned to where they need to be.

If coaches made sure there kids were properly conditioned physically to execute these skills and safely oversaw the teaching of the skills it would greatly improve athletes safety.

Im not saying accidents don't happen but are coaches going far enough to try and prevent them while still pushing athleticism?

I agree with you. We do the same things in our routines.

Personal opinion here but I don't think as an industry we condition enough. Select programs, and coaches yes. But industry wide from the major mega famous gyms to the start up, no one talks about them on Fierceboards, who the heck are they gyms the answer would be no. Especially when it comes to conditioning in preparation to learn and land a specific skill set.

Personal opinion here but I don't think as an industry we condition enough. Select programs, and coaches yes. But industry wide from the major mega famous gyms to the start up, no one talks about them on Fierceboards, who the heck are they gyms the answer would be no. Especially when it comes to conditioning in preparation to learn and land a specific skill set.

Amen!

If this is true, I believe the idea probably has been passed around before, I am curious what Debbie Love has to say about it. Her daughters both do bounding passes and I am sure have worked hard to get them. I love hearing her insights regarding tumbling so it would be interesting to hear what she has to say about an issue like this.

You clearly don't know the posters around here well enough to make that judgement.

I can tell you that Debbie is against it. We've actually had conversations about this very topic. Debbie preaches/believes in teaching proper training, proper conditioning not in eliminating skills.

I've never been a fan of eliminating or restricting skills...rather just regulating the coaches teaching them.
This is exactly what I was going to say -- the danger is not in the bounding skills -- the danger is when kids are being taught by coaches that are not well trained in how to teach them. Even a back handspring could be dangerous if it's not taught properly.

By the logic of a lot of the posts on this thread, all tumbling should be allowed. Just as long as the coach is qualified. Triples and double backs for everyone!!:cheering:

Oh wait, only the coaches that can actually teach it should be allowed to teach it. But, that's not fair to the small gym who can't afford the tumbling coaches that WC, TG, SOT, Rays, and CA have.

Oh double wait, who says that a certain coach is allowed to teach it? We all know the USASF testing is really all that difficult. I mean to do a double full all you do is "spin faster."

This is exactly what I was going to say -- the danger is not in the bounding skills -- the danger is when kids are being taught by coaches that are not well trained in how to teach them. Even a back handspring could be dangerous if it's not taught properly.
I wouldn't say that's completely true- bounding skills are (if we're being honest) a dangerous skill. You are jumping into the air, throwing your body inverted without your hands touching the ground, and you're following it with a second jumping no-handed inversion. Either one of those times might also involve your body twisting in concurrence with your flip, all while previously propelling yourself by running into a previous flipping-type skill (round offs, bhs, etc). When you're spelling it out- yeah, it's a bit more dangerous than say, a forward roll lol.

What it comes down to is the same thing we discussed in the 'Mat vs. Floor vs. etc' thread- acceptable level of risk. The risk decreases with proper progression, body/mind conditioning (now is NOT the time to bail on a pass), adequate safety measures in place, and a skilled supervisor to assess everything and deem someone ready to attempt said skills. When you start to lose these things or they're non-existent (bad coaches, unconditioned body, unsafe surfaces), THAT'S when the risks greatly outweigh the rewards and the skill becomes, imo, too risky. Look at Rebecca Bross- she did a vault she had done countless times. She had been shaky on it recently, but she was determined to see it through. I will never forget the sound she made when she landed it and hurt her knee..

I wanted to add that in my opinion my daughters injury was due to HER pulling out of the skill because she said it didn't feel "perfect". She is such a powerful tumbler that this caused her to miss the floor with her left foot so her right leg caught the full force of the "stop" which resulted in the break. I love watching all the tumbling skills kids throw it's just tough for me to watch whip doubles because I was sitting in the gym the day she was injured and I just can't seem to get rid of that image.

By the logic of a lot of the posts on this thread, all tumbling should be allowed. Just as long as the coach is qualified. Triples and double backs for everyone!!:cheering:

Oh wait, only the coaches that can actually teach it should be allowed to teach it. But, that's not fair to the small gym who can't afford the tumbling coaches that WC, TG, SOT, Rays, and CA have.

Oh double wait, who says that a certain coach is allowed to teach it? We all know the USASF testing is really all that difficult. I mean to do a double full all you do is "spin faster."

Small gym shouldn't have opened it's doors if it didn't have the proper employees to facilitate a proper training environment. Problem is everyone who has ever cheered thinks they are qualified to own/run a gym. WRONG!! I can't just go be a doctor because I like to fix people's injuries/illnesses. I would have to go to school and be trained extensively. Someone desiring to train difficult tumbling/stunting to children should have to be extensively trained as well...