All-Star Bounding Passes Going Away Soon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@yojaehs @Mclovin @tumbleyoda
The problem with your statements is that you are making them using your experiences and logic. The vast majority of the cheerleading population has neither of those. These people are the ones who scream the loudest at meetings and crying foul for things because they are "not fair"

Everyone feels that they are ENTITLED to open a gym, have level 5 teams, win, and compete at worlds. All of the aforementioned items come from experience. The general population doesn't feel they need to wait for experience.
I hear you and agree with you, however I don't see my statements as "problem" statements. I stated my beliefs BECAUSE of my experience. Are you saying that A. You agree, and feel that all should be more educated OR B. Anyone should be able to do whatever they want? As our INDUSTRY is now, there is NOTHING regulating an inexperienced person from opening a gym and charging for tumbling and cheer classes. But also, the experienced and inexperienced open gyms the same way, anyone can do it with little or no experience required. Currently the responsibility lies STRICTLY on the parents to do their research and take their time and put their children in the hands of the well trained, experienced coaches. I'm not saying I've never had an athlete get injured, it honestly makes me sick to my stomach and drives me more and more to research and learn as much as I can to prevent it from happening ever again.

The only reason I spoke up on this thread is because I feel like we all want the same thing, but we all feel differently as to how to get there. My thoughts are that until education is REQUIRED, we are going to keep spinning our wheels complaining.
Now for the Irony, ready!? The USASF ultimately has control over the skills that we are allowed to compete (and I know that there are hundreds of hours that go into that and I respect and follow them as much as I can, thank you @RulesGuy ). They require the certification (which as I said before is a step, but needs to be better) And there are COUNTLESS coaches conferences held all over the country that could offer MORE. Can someone tell me why the "governing body" can require us to follow a list or their rules and guidelines but NOT require coaches to be educated on the rules and how to train them? Yes, its an undertaking, so are you telling me that our athletes safety aren't worth the undertaking? I just don't get it, we have all been BEGGING for it. I know that @kingston @Mclovin @tumbleyoda @BlueCat @Andre myself, Debbie Love, Victor heck anyone that cherishes cheer would be all for it and help in anyway they can, if I'm wrong, please, I'm all ears!

@yojaehs - I can not answer for @socratesofcheer but I think what they are saying is that those of us who are experienced, have been trained, do put the care of the athlete above our egos,don't see injuries as an oh well moment, look at the whole picture, etc. are not the ones complaining to take stuff away to make it easier for us to compete. At least that is how I read it after the third read.

I suggest that those of us who have it within us to train those who teach tumbling at our gyms, to train them fully. Make it as much of a priority as teaching that next new skill. Train them to be a better coach than you are. Invest in them as well. I am at the age that I know sooner or later (hopefully later :)) I will have to walk away. So my goal is to train every coach I have working with me to be better tumbling coaches. I take time with them and teach them as I was taught. And hopefully they will catch it and carry it on. There is no success without successors.

@yojaehs - I can not answer for @socratesofcheer but I think what they are saying is that those of us who are experienced, have been trained, do put the care of the athlete above our egos,don't see injuries as an oh well moment, look at the whole picture, etc. are not the ones complaining to take stuff away to make it easier for us to compete. At least that is how I read it.
Wise you are.

@yojaehs - I can not answer for @socratesofcheer but I think what they are saying is that those of us who are experienced, have been trained, do put the care of the athlete above our egos,don't see injuries as an oh well moment, look at the whole picture, etc. are not the ones complaining to take stuff away to make it easier for us to compete. At least that is how I read it after the third read.

I suggest that those of us who have it within us to train those who teach tumbling at our gyms, to train them fully. Make it as much of a priority as teaching that next new skill. Train them to be a better coach than you are. Invest in them as well. I am at the age that I know sooner or later (hopefully later :)) I will have to walk away. So my goal is to train every coach I have working with me to be better tumbling coaches. I take time with them and teach them as I was taught. And hopefully they will catch it and carry it on. There is no success without successors.
I agree!

I think we all agree for the most part that the problem we all see is of an inexperienced person teaching skills they have no business trying to teach which ultimately puts an athletes risk of injury way higher than if that athlete was being taught by someone who has taken the time to be trained properly.

I think where we disagree is whether we should limit what skills are allowed in our sport because of this. For me, I do not believe we should ban bounding skills for ALL because of the reckless disregard of few. I do wish there was a way to make sure all coaches were trained properly but that can't be done in ANY sport. For every 1 top notch gymnastics facility in the country there are 10 mom and pop gyms that have no business being open let alone teaching kids upper level gymnastics skills. There are football coaches out there that are so crazy and so intent on winning that they disregard the health of the kids they are coaching and force them to practice and train in 115 degree heat without water breaks. You get where I am going with this.

So, in the end, I believe that our sport is right where it needs to be right now as far as what skills should and shouldn't be allowed at each specific level. And ultimately it is the responsibility of the parent to make sure their child is training in a safe and professional environment.

i think it should be legal for all senior 5's not junior though.
Angel is junior aged so having it legal in seniors is not going to stop junior aged atheletes from doing the skills.... same as youth restricted is not stopping youth age kids from doubling on a junior team... Restricting divisions will not prevent much.
Going back onto my soap box again.... You need quailified instructors that use PROGRESSION and have a CONDITIONING routine to strengthen prone areas to help prevent injury.

This is one of the challenges of being a fast-growing sport - there are a lot of people getting involved in it, but not a lot of resources devoted to regulation.

So you're going to have unqualified people teaching tumbling, because there's simply no resources for anyone to monitor everyone who's teaching tumbling and accredit them accordingly.

You're going to have teams "gaming the system" because the system is so easy to game and there's nobody making sure it doesn't happen.

You're going to have coaches who probably shouldn't be around kids because there's no universal requirement for background checks.

And so on...

The problem is not about rules, it's about enforcement. Changing the rules to make a particular skill illegal might have a modest benefit, but it's a band-aid covering up the far bigger problem.