All-Star Cali Aces Jamz Incident

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can only answer the first one- perhaps slowly lower the music? That way it's not sudden and you don't get people thinking they should continue due to music malfunction? Although with that, I can only imagine the horror you'd feel as a team when that music starts going down..

I had thought about that (and a slowly increasing warning sound). But The horror of the slowly lowering music isn't all that different than when the music is cutoff and the confusion of what is going on.

Honestly, as a retired athlete who has been known to be injury-prone I want to say that it is better safe than sorry. I think there should be some sort of red flag system where the coach will be given a red flag to wave if anyone should have an injury on stage. I know everyone keeps saying they don't know when a good time to stop the music would be but how about all the transition times we have? Between stunts, going into corners for running tumbling, before setting up for baskets, etc. There are so many opportune times I see where all feet are on the ground and it would be a convenient and SAFE time to stop a routine for an injury. Also just like multiple people have said before, pyramid is a huge concern, especially in levels 4 and 5 when there are kids being thrown and flipped not knowing if someone will be there to catch them. Not stopping a routine could result in another serious injury.
Yes, I also understand that being a coach we are watching everyone on the floor and might not notice an injury right away, but that's another good thing about having multiple coaches on each team, right? It's that many more eyes watching out for the safety of the athletes. I know we don't go into competition looking on the floor for an injury but it should be one of those "expect the unexpected" things to keep in the back of our minds.

I personally don't think the music abuptly stopping is dangerous. I cut the music off in practice all the time when I need to. I have never once had an accident stem from it. Granted, I don't stop it in the middle of a stunt section...

I personally don't think the music abuptly stopping is dangerous. I cut the music off in practice all the time when I need to. I have never once had an accident stem from it. Granted, I don't stop it in the middle of a stunt section...

The instances that pop in mind are: middle of tumbling passes (though the continuing of music during a tumbling pass could be bad too), middle of a stunt section, or middle of a basket toss before being thrown. I would always try to cut the music at a natural section so that no one would halfway do a skill (never cut it off mid standing back tuck, for instance, so that no one stopped executing their skill halfway). I do like the idea of fading out the music. Possibly a 3 second fade? Quick enough to stop, but not sudden enough to jolt people mid skill?

The instances that pop in mind are: middle of tumbling passes (though the continuing of music during a tumbling pass could be bad too), middle of a stunt section, or middle of a basket toss before being thrown. I would always try to cut the music at a natural section so that no one would halfway do a skill (never cut it off mid standing back tuck, for instance, so that no one stopped executing their skill halfway). I do like the idea of fading out the music. Possibly a 3 second fade? Quick enough to stop, but not sudden enough to jolt people mid skill?
I really like the 3 second idea.
**edited to clarify

I hear what you're saying. And obviously finding a safe place to stop the music is ideal, but in a situation like this...stop it immediately. It's that weighing the pros and cons sort of thing. In a routine with loud music, and non-stop three ring circus type of action, there really is no good, safe stopping point. So you have to use your judgment. I'd still prefer to see the music stopped immediately over someone trying to sit there and decide where a safe stopping point is...

I hear what you're saying. And obviously finding a safe place to stop the music is ideal, but in a situation like this...stop it immediately. It's that weighing the pros and cons sort of thing. In a routine with loud music, and non-stop three ring circus type of action, there really is no good, safe stopping point. So you have to use your judgment. I'd still prefer to see the music stopped immediately over someone trying to sit there and decide where a safe stopping point is...

I think the 3 second fade out done whenever would take care of it. It's not sudden and could be done immediately.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of someone in the middle of a tumbling pass stop in the middle of a skill when the music ends. Maybe not finishing their pass, but never like stopping in the middle of a back handspring and landing on their head. Same with a stunt, but I can see how it might go wrong with baskets.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of someone in the middle of a tumbling pass stop in the middle of a skill when the music ends. Maybe not finishing their pass, but never like stopping in the middle of a back handspring and landing on their head. Same with a stunt, but I can see how it might go wrong with baskets.

I have personally never seen it happen either. But in light of trying to keep things SAFE, if there is a possibility it could happen, we should probably try and figure out a way to do something other than abruptly stop the music.

Unfortunately, I have seen it happen quite a few times... Each time I've seen an athlete do it, they've all been lucky and landed on their knees or just done the skill poorly (regardless of a standing tuck or running pass, and regardless of what level and skill), but I've seen it happen. I've also seen people freaking out a little in stunts (usually the flyer) and falling out of it or jumping out of it or a base not throwing enough, etc. and having it just be a huge disaster and a complete scare that someone is going to get injured.. I really like the 3 second fade out. It's quick, but safe, and would most likely be very effective.

Unfortunately, I have seen it happen quite a few times... Each time I've seen an athlete do it, they've all been lucky and landed on their knees or just done the skill poorly (regardless of a standing tuck or running pass, and regardless of what level), but I've seen it happen. I've also seen people freaking out a little in stunts (usually the flyer) and falling out of it or jumping out of it or a base not throwing enough, etc. and having it just be a huge disaster and a complete scare that someone is going to get injured.. I really like the 3 second fade out. It's quick, but safe, and would most likely be very effective.
Oh ok! I understand that it can happen, just have never seen it first hand. I agree though, the 3 second fade out sounds like the best bet.

Back