All-Star Cali Aces Jamz Incident

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am glad all the girls are ok. The dedication is remarkable. I wish some of that dedication would rub off on a couple girls on cp's team who seem to think its the end of the world that they get scratched by a wrist brace. :banghead: Because, and I quote, "it hurts" :rolleyes:

Doesn't the injury waver that everyone has to sign at the beginning of the season cover them from law suits?
Waiver only waive assumed risks. It is not an assumed risk in acrobatics and tumbling or anything that defies gravity to not have an injury protocol, an emergency plan in place and proper medical response.

The waiver NEVER waives responsibility for negligence or gross negligence or any form of child abuse.

As an ace who was on the floor in Anaheim this weekend, I just wanted to let all of you guys know that they will all be alright. Tayler and Paige both have staples in their heads, Megan hurt her knee, and Jasmine bruised her ribs. Just to let all of you know, since a few of you have asked why the athletes didn't stop the routine, I had NO idea that anything was wrong at all until the routine was stopped and we walked off the floor and several girls were wiping blood off of them. Once we were all informed of everything that happened the entire team was hysterical. Majority of the girls were crying, and were terrified for our team mates. Immediately we went backstage and prayed for all the injured girls. Like I said during the routine I had no idea that anything was even wrong, because none of my parts involve any of those girls so I had no reason to believe anything was wrong. It was a very scary thing when I did realize something was wrong though. Thank you all for your concerns and prayers.

Please be careful, everybody, before you suggest the coaches were negligent in this case. Aside from the fact that officials stop gameplay in sports, the coaches had a LOT to digest and internalize during any crisis. It's very easy to watch a video and speculate what should have happened and when, but things don't play out in real time the way they do on video and in our heads.

I think conversation about how to improve the system is awesome. But speculative assumptions about impure motive is so uncalled for.

Praying that the girls get better! If I were one of them I would have crawled of the floor. Today at SC Fall championship a girl landed her double short and took steps forward and the other girl tumbled right into her. The girl flew back and of course the crowd gasped in shock. The music was stopped immediately and she was taken care of. 2 teams later the team went back on and continued from where the music was stopped. I know it's too late but JAMZ needs to do this. When someone is hurt/ makes contact with another cheerleader and they are in danger the show must NOT go on.

I wish those girls a speedy recovery and give them huge props for lasting as long as they did.

On another note...Aces looked really good!

Waiver only waive assumed risks. It is not an assumed risk in acrobatics and tumbling or anything that defies gravity to not have an injury protocol, an emergency plan in place and proper medical response.

The waiver NEVER waives responsibility for negligence or gross negligence or any form of child abuse.
I've always wondered about the point of gross negligence issue with competitive cheer. When a coach tells an athlete to push through it or tells her to continue with practice after she states she is hurt, I often wondered if they could be held liable if the child was seriously injured after that point. Thanks for the clarification.

I would love to hear their stories of how it happened.

Well the collision is from one of the girls lining up wrong, they should have been a strip apart but somehow ended up on the same strip. I, personally, would never have two girls tumbling blindly towards another. Yes, I know they should not have been lined up that way but so many things can go wrong as it did today. Even one of them getting off balance and falling or tumbling crooked can put them at risk of something like this happening again. I don't think it has to do with how many or how few girls are tumbling at the same time either. It was an accidnet plain and simple. People talk about lawsuits, it was an accident, JAMZ didn't cause it and they couldn't prevent it. All-Star cheerleaders are taught to go on unless they are told to stop. They are taught to get off the mat if they can. I am pretty sure if those girls would have both just laid there the routine would not have continued around them.

People being me as I can only speak for myself are talking about lawsuits because it is imperative to educate everyone involved what is required to prevent negligence or gross negligence. This type of understanding and communication is to help others know what to do to prevent a lawsuit not cause one.

The tumbling in groups between each other back and forth scares the crap out of me. Granted the "fanciest" running tumbling my CP can do right now is a RO.. and I have virtually zero first hand exposure to anything above level 2.. But another question..

As long as I've watched these videos I have always wondered.. Is it generally a given that these athletes will throw these skills in a straight line? When I watch these advanced teams throw these synchro tumble ROBHS blah blah full etc etc with some going one way diagonally and some going the other..

1) How often do they drift?
2) When YOU are the tumbler.. Are you aware of your surroundings and can you act to change your trajectory or are you SOL?
3) Can they do that pass through tumbling at any level or is it only allowed at the upper levels? I would read the rules myself but some of them I don't quite understand yet.

Before I was on fb I thought it would be cool if CP were to make a level 5 team someday. Now between all the broken bones from falling out of stunts or tumbling and torn ACLs from doing fulls etc.. I'm just not so sure. Is it almost a given that if you stick to this you're going to break at some point?

Please be careful, everybody, before you suggest the coaches were negligent in this case. Aside from the fact that officials stop gameplay in sports, the coaches had a LOT to digest and internalize during any crisis. It's very easy to watch a video and speculate what should have happened and when, but things don't play out in real time the way they do on video and in our heads.

I think conversation about how to improve the system is awesome. But speculative assumptions about impure motive is so uncalled for.
Amen

The tumbling in groups between each other back and forth scares the crap out of me. Granted the "fanciest" running tumbling my CP can do right now is a RO.. and I have virtually zero first hand exposure to anything above level 2.. But another question..

As long as I've watched these videos I have always wondered.. Is it generally a given that these athletes will throw these skills in a straight line? When I watch these advanced teams throw these synchro tumble ROBHS blah blah full etc etc with some going one way diagonally and some going the other..

1) How often do they drift?
2) When YOU are the tumbler.. Are you aware of your surroundings and can you act to change your trajectory or are you SOL?
3) Can they do that pass through tumbling at any level or is it only allowed at the upper levels? I would read the rules myself but some of them I don't quite understand yet.

Before I was on fb I thought it would be cool if CP were to make a level 5 team someday. Now between all the broken bones from falling out of stunts or tumbling and torn ACLs from doing fulls etc.. I'm just not so sure. Is it almost a given that if you stick to this you're going to break at some point?
My daughter is 19+ years old, has 10 years as an Allstar cheerleader with 6 as a level 5 tumbler and thank the good lord her worst tumbling injury has been sprained wrists and ankles! Mak sure your CP is well conditioned and enjoy their progress! They can get hurt anywhere as children and no matter what you see in level 5 videos almost ALL cheer injuries are accidents just like wrecking their bicycles or falling out of a tree! Have faith and enjoy this great sport full of passion and athleticism!

Back