All-Star California Allstars Expectations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
So I was reading through the tryout package for Cali 13-14 and I found a few things that I think are pretty interesting! I'm wondering if any other gyms have these rules and expectations, and if they work? On their tryout FAQ it says:

Shoes must be worn at practice. A $20 fine will be issued if shoes are are not worn.
A $25 fine OR 15 min. conditioning will result in an unexcused absence.

do you think "fining" the athletes is a good idea? Do you think it would work?

In theory I believe that it's a good idea. Especially when it comes to getting everybody to wear shoes me personally I do not want to touch a flyers sock feet I think it's disgusting not to mention you need to wear them when competing so why would you not practice in them?

The problem I see with this however is you have athletes (not specific to Cali but other gyms) who get close to the coaches and owners and believe that they do not have to pay because the owners owe them for the years of service they have dedicated to the gym. If coaches and owners can get it to work I think it's great as it'll be one of those one and done offences and would correct any behaviour the problem is the follow through for me which I never have seen.

I love the idea of the fees and conditioning for tardiness AND being absent. We had problems with this this year. But- we also had some families having trbl keeping current on gym bills so I don't know how fining would work. Whether its the kids or parents fault they r late, if u get worked out hard for it the kid will make sure it doesn't happen again.

And I never heard of kids coming without shoes! That's not been a problem for us

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

i think its weird to make people physically pay for a thing like that. being forced to sit out a practice or miss a comp, etc seems more normal and appropriate for those type of situations. idk maybe its a huge problem for cali, so they decided to take drastic measures, or maybe they are just looking to get more money out of parents, who knows.

I love the idea of the fees and conditioning for tardiness AND being absent. We had problems with this this year. But- we also had some families having trbl keeping current on gym bills so I don't know how fining would work. Whether its the kids or parents fault they r late, if u get worked out hard for it the kid will make sure it doesn't happen again.

And I never heard of kids coming without shoes! That's not been a problem for us

and i think thats where my problem is. if families can barely afford monthly bills, its hard to fine them on top of that. that being said, it has to consistent and either ALL families have to be charged or none. Im curious how that works at cali! and at my gym its never a problem of flyers coming without shoes, more bases and backspots (probably cause they assume since they arent flyers it doesnt matter, but it drives me nuts!)

and just putting this out there- cali is one of my all time favorite gyms! this thread was not started to be offensive i'm genuinely curious and thought it was a really interesting approach!

and i think thats where my problem is. if families can barely afford monthly bills, its hard to fine them on top of that. that being said, it has to consistent and either ALL families have to be charged or none. Im curious how that works at cali! and at my gym its never a problem of flyers coming without shoes, more bases and backspots (probably cause they assume since they arent flyers it doesnt matter, but it drives me nuts!)

So that being said...does anyone know if Cali is strict with the $ dues etc. Thats one of my pet peeves. I came from a gym that talked a hard game about consequences for bad accounts but NEVER followed thru with the threats. In turn families would year after year not pay what I would pay (and on time for that matter) but their CP would continue to practice and compete becuz the gym didn't want to loose them. With no consequences they just continued the same behavior season after season.

One of our sister gyms awhile back charged 25$ anytime you showed up late to a meeting time. I will tell you one thing, it work especially well! You can tell kids all day to show up on time but the parents are the ones driving them, so this held the parents accountable instead of just getting on the kids when they had little control over the issue.

I like this no shoe rule.. to many times kids and parents would pull the "we forgot them" trick lol

I think it drags parents into being accountable for their kids. I would be much less likely to allow my child to skip practice for something like a birthday if I knew I was going to be fined. I would love to see the money go to scholarships or some other good cause

In addition, I have heard of other gyms doing this

Love it!

It's very frustrating for coaches as well as parents and athletes who follow the rules. If you hit the parents in their wallet just maybe they will hold their child as well as themselves accountable. IMO parents set the wrong example when they look the other way and/or make excuses for their child.

Back