All-Star California Allstars Is Buying Az Power

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think CALI on a uniform does a number of things for a team. It makes you the team others love to beat. It makes you the team that has to worry about the potential for unfair judging because event producers don't want a CALI sweep. It can keep you locked out of an event because there is too much 'Cali'. It makes you the target of individuals unsportsmanlike behavior.

To have a uniform with CALI does a whole lot of things, some good and some bad. And I am in no way complaining about any of it. But, I take it personal for you to imply that the CALI name buys influence and it alone will alter the outcome of a competition to Cali's benefit. Saying that implies that the hard work by talented athletes and coaches is not what brings home the titles.

I can't believe that you would diminish what CALI has earned through the blood, sweat and tears of their organization (athletes included). And then to insult the cheer industry as well.

I recognize there is potential for bias in sports in a lot of ways. We have all experienced it at one time or another in some capacity. But unless you have proof of some unjust CALI influence, your remarks are unjust and uncalled for. And they certainly don't seem to be in keeping with the boards guidelines on postings.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It will be interesting to see how their worlds team(if they have one) will place at worlds now that the will have the cali name on their uniform. It turned out well for Nevada Elite because their first year of being Cali Aces they got 2nd at worlds. Not trying to take away from the athletes or their talent but sometimes having a certain name on your uniform helps. ;)

P.S.- this is my personal opinion and I don't care if people don't agree with me.
sorry but having "CALI" on a uniform will not just magically win you a ring.

I think CALI on a uniform does a number of things for a team. It makes you the team others love to beat. It makes you the team that has to worry about the potential for unfair judging because event producers don't want a CALI sweep. It can keep you locked out of an event because there is too much 'Cali'. It makes you the target of individuals unsportsmanlike behavior.

To have a uniform with CALI does a whole lot of things, some good and some bad. And I am in no way complaining about any of it. But, I take it personal for you to imply that the CALI name buys influence and it alone will alter the outcome of a competition to Cali's benefit. Saying that implies that the hard work by talented athletes and coaches is not what brings home the titles.

I can't believe that you would diminish what CALI has earned through the blood, sweat and tears of their organization (athletes included). And then to insult the cheer industry as well.

I recognize there is potential for bias in sports in a lot of ways. We have all experienced it at one time or another in some capacity. But unless you have proof of some unjust CALI influence, your remarks are unjust and uncalled for. And they certainly don't seem to be in keeping with the boards guidelines on postings.

First things first, I would never try to take away the titles that Cali has earned. Props to them for everything they have accomplished.

I agree with you that there are pros and cons to being from a big gym like Cali. But if you are saying that they are unfairly judged, in a bad way, because they are from cali then wouldn't you be insulting the cheer industry as well? Because Your saying that judges are biased against big name gyms, like Cali, just because they don't want them to win every division?

I didn't diminish their hard work. I gave props to the athletes and their talent. I know they have some great coaches and that the kids work just as hard as kids at other gyms. And I'm not saying this just happens with cali. I would have said it if it were a different big gym that took over.

All I said was I wonder how they will place, I didn't garuntee they would win or even get top 5.

Having coached at a small gym that competed against Cali and other big gyms(PCM, Cheerforce) a lot, I've always felt this way, and it's for all the levels not just level 5.

I never said this is a fact and I don't have proof. This is just they way I feel and it's my own personal opinion. I said this already in my original posting. Everyone is going to have different opinions, some we like some we don't, but everyone is entitled to their own. I'm not trying to change your opinion on the situation, or anyone else's.

I didn't call out any individuals or say that this was the truth so I don't think I broke any of the rules about posting. But if an admin feels that I did, please have them let me know.

when i read emilyoc88's comment, i thought she was referring to the new inspiration that the CALI name can have on an athlete. its a strong program that is well regarded, and being part of that program can have a positive mental effect that can push some athletes to excel even more. i also thought of the introduction of new coaches and new coaching styles that can improve an athlete's performance. i think those two effects can be very real.

Yes, having Cali on your chest is going to help you. Mostly because kids aren't going to drive 5+ hours to go to Podunk Allstars in the middle of the desert. Having a world renowned program is going to draw in a larger pool of talent, thus making for stronger teams.

All a name change does is create a certain perception... Those teams still have quite a bit of work cut out for them to live up to their new name. I do agree with you that with a big name, it is easier to pull talent in. Parents are willing to sacrifice more for their child to be on a bigger name team, that has a potential to be more successful and I said potential because obviously there are some smaller gyms that are AMAZING.

The "former" AZ Power will have more training, music, choreography resources and probably a nice bump in membership.

Judging from how well locations (Vegas) and this years (Ontario) performed in their very first year, I think they will do very well 2014-2015 season. Its not the uniform, its the program.

The "former" AZ Power will have more training, music, choreography resources and probably a nice bump in membership.

Judging from how well locations (Vegas) and this years (Ontario) performed in their very first year, I think they will do very well 2014-2015 season. Its not the uniform, its the program.
Couldn't have said it better. As a Cali parent living in AZ I can say that people just don't get it. It's not the name that has created winning teams, its the dedication and hard work of amazing athletes and coaches. It's about teaching our kids not only about cheerleading but offering life lessons at the same time. There is nothing like this program (in my opinion) out there.

First things first, I would never try to take away the titles that Cali has earned. Props to them for everything they have accomplished.

I agree with you that there are pros and cons to being from a big gym like Cali. But if you are saying that they are unfairly judged, in a bad way, because they are from cali then wouldn't you be insulting the cheer industry as well? Because Your saying that judges are biased against big name gyms, like Cali, just because they don't want them to win every division?

I didn't diminish their hard work. I gave props to the athletes and their talent. I know they have some great coaches and that the kids work just as hard as kids at other gyms. And I'm not saying this just happens with cali. I would have said it if it were a different big gym that took over.

All I said was I wonder how they will place, I didn't garuntee they would win or even get top 5.

Having coached at a small gym that competed against Cali and other big gyms(PCM, Cheerforce) a lot, I've always felt this way, and it's for all the levels not just level 5.

I never said this is a fact and I don't have proof. This is just they way I feel and it's my own personal opinion. I said this already in my original posting. Everyone is going to have different opinions, some we like some we don't, but everyone is entitled to their own. I'm not trying to change your opinion on the situation, or anyone else's.

I didn't call out any individuals or say that this was the truth so I don't think I broke any of the rules about posting. But if an admin feels that I did, please have them let me know.
Everyone has their own opinion and that's a good thing. My only objection

Oops...on my phone and accidentally posted prematurely. To continue, my only objection to what you said is as follows. You stated that Nevada Elite changing to CALI worked out well for Nevada Elite because the first year of being CALI Aces they got 2nd at Worlds. CALI is CALI and Nevada Elite is not CALI. CALI Aces is a CALI team not a Nevada Elite team in a new uniform. I understand the relationship between the gyms and that a lot of Nevada Elite athletes are now at the California All Stars. To make an assumption that a change in gym name resulted in improved placement at Worlds is incorrect. CALI Aces trained for Worlds at a California All Stars gym the whole season. They followed the CALI program. There is no parallel to draw with a Nevada Elite Worlds team from a previous year. And if the Aces placed well at Worlds it's because they performed well at Worlds. It's not because "sometimes having a certain name on your uniform helps".

As for you claiming I insulted the cheer industry by stating that being CALI means you have to "worry about the potential for unfair judging". How does that insult the cheer community ? To be frank, my daughter spent years at a gym with only one cheer team. Often the team had only 6 people on it. We went to some of the same competitions as the mega gyms where they swept the competition in their divisions.

Oops...on my phone and accidentally posted prematurely. To continue, my only objection to what you said is as follows. You stated that Nevada Elite changing to CALI worked out well for Nevada Elite because the first year of being CALI Aces they got 2nd at Worlds. CALI is CALI and Nevada Elite is not CALI. CALI Aces is a CALI team not a Nevada Elite team in a new uniform. I understand the relationship between the gyms and that a lot of Nevada Elite athletes are now at the California All Stars. To make an assumption that a change in gym name resulted in improved placement at Worlds is incorrect. CALI Aces trained for Worlds at a California All Stars gym the whole season. They followed the CALI program. There is no parallel to draw with a Nevada Elite Worlds team from a previous year. And if the Aces placed well at Worlds it's because they performed well at Worlds. It's not because "sometimes having a certain name on your uniform helps".

As for you claiming I insulted the cheer industry by stating that being CALI means you have to "worry about the potential for unfair judging". How does that insult the cheer community ? To be frank, my daughter spent years at a gym with only one cheer team. Often the team had only 6 people on it. We went to some of the same competitions as the mega gyms where they swept the competition in their divisions.

I am assuming Cali provided talent from other locations to kickstart Vegas. If so, what type of numbers are we talking about? How many girls were needed to take Nevada Elite from where they were to a World's medal in just a year? Not knocking the reality. The results obviously speak for themselves. I guess I'm wondering what kind of immediate impact Cali coming to AZ will have without some sort of seeding from other gyms.

Is the current talent just a Cali coach away from the top 3? AZ Power had a new Cali coach all this season who brought his "Cali way" to the gym. And it hasn't been the most successful season this year. Now rumors have been floating around that there will not even be a worlds team next year. Other rumors insist there will be several. Kelly, herself, has advertised tryouts for an international team.

A little transparency would go a long way, but rumors here in AZ tend to run rampant. A lot of owners keeping everything close to the vest. I guess we will find out more at the parent meeting (held AFTER many of the local gyms have already had tryouts).

I am assuming Cali provided talent from other locations to kickstart Vegas. If so, what type of numbers are we talking about? How many girls were needed to take Nevada Elite from where they were to a World's medal in just a year? Not knocking the reality. The results obviously speak for themselves. I guess I'm wondering what kind of immediate impact Cali coming to AZ will have without some sort of seeding from other gyms.

Is the current talent just a Cali coach away from the top 3? AZ Power had a new Cali coach all this season who brought his "Cali way" to the gym. And it hasn't been the most successful season this year. Now rumors have been floating around that there will not even be a worlds team next year. Other rumors insist there will be several. Kelly, herself, has advertised tryouts for an international team.

A little transparency would go a long way, but rumors here in AZ tend to run rampant. A lot of owners keeping everything close to the vest. I guess we will find out more at the parent meeting (held AFTER many of the local gyms have already had tryouts).
A lot of times it's not the athletes or the skills, it's the way they're coached. A really good coach can take a decent team and make them a GREAT team. It's all about the way you build up your athletes & get them at perform to their highest level. AZ Power has always had a pretty good small senior 5. That gives Cali something great to work with. Their goal should be to wrap those girls in the Cali way and harness the potential of each one of them. I think if they can do that, they can be successful right off the bat.

Back