Can Learning Skills Too Fast Put You At Risk For Mental Blocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So a question for the coaches.....as a coach, what would you think about the idea of putting her in a front tumbling level 2 pass during running tumbling until her block passes? She has a wonderful front handspring, which I am pretty sure is a level 2 skill. Would a running front walkover front handspring combo qualify as level 2? Her coach is a real sweetheart and very approachable....and I am sure it would make my daughter feel like she is contributing to the team on the tumbling front. At this time, there is no front handspring in her team's routine.

I wouldn't. From a coaching perspective, coaches know what they want in a routine and how they've got it choreographed to hit the scoresheet.

That, and coaches (even well-meaning ones who love your kid) cannot always add/change things based on parental wants and what would make kids feel better and more included. Ex: in football, a kid may be really struggling as a QB and get benched. But mom can't say "Can you make him a kicker?" The coaches know what they want and can't move kids based on mom.

My best advice to you is to take a step back and possibly try being a "drop and run" mom for a long while.

That is pretty much what I am these days. I just drop her off at the front door....do not even get out of the car. I miss being at the practices. I enjoy watching the routine come together....but when she is upset, she immediately looks at me and seeing her face that sad is really hard so I prefer to not be there so that she learns to turn to her coaches for support during practice rather than me. And I am sure she gets more emotional when mom is in the room than she would if mom was not in the room.

If they have open gym just have her practice a cool front walker over front handspring /specialty level 2 forward tumbling pass. The Coaches will see it and it could plant a seed. From there it is up to the Coaches if they want to incorporate it into the routine or not. If no open gym, maybe just do one private to let her focus on front tumbling and let the Coaches see her skills.

There is actually already a slot for her in the running tumbling section because when they did choreo, they slotted her in with the hopes that she would have her skills back. They have her nuggeting right now, however her coach has assured her that they will put her back in once she tumbles again. Oh well, it was just a thought.

If they have open gym just have her practice a cool front walker over front handspring /specialty level 2 forward tumbling pass. The Coaches will see it and it could plant a seed. From there it is up to the Coaches if they want to incorporate it into the routine or not. If no open gym, maybe just do one private to let her focus on front tumbling and let the Coaches see her skills.
That idea worked for me. I saw a backspot do a crazy good bow and arrow and it planted a seed. She decided to show off her skill and it paid off, because she is now doing it a stunt during jumps sequence!

My 10 yr old is only in her 2nd year of cheer. No previous gymnastic or dance experience. When she started her last season, she could barely do a cartwheel. Her tumbling coach actually had to spend her first 3 lessons teaching her how to do a proper front roll. And then things started happening very quickly. By the end of her first season (level 1), she had front/back walkovers, all handspring skills including combos, and even managed to teach herself both standing and running tuck! We were shocked, but thrilled that we seemed to finally find her 'thing'. And then it happened, a complete fluke on a trampoline where someone distracted her and she bailed on a handspring and landed on her neck. I am sure she thought she had broken her neck for a second, although she was perfectly fine. She was pretty shaken up by it, and went into a complete back tumbling mental block the next day. We are now entering month 4 of her still struggling just to throw a standing handspring. Forget running tumbling....she won't even attempt it. Although we know the fall was the trigger, I think that learning too fast put her at a much higher risk of blocking. Anyone else have a fast learner who struggled with blocks? I just think her mind may not have been as ready to do this stuff as her body was, and the very first time she had a fall, it freaked. I have seen other girls break bones tumbling, and not block when they return.
You've gotten lots of good advice/suggestions. If you need more assistance, feel free to send me a PM- I work with cheerleaders on becoming more mentally tough and A LOT of times cheerleaders come to me because of blocks/fears. And yes, they can absolutely happen when skills are learned quickly or progressions move fast.

We stopped privates for a little while. She found that when she was at an open gym or class she was less stressed out. When she was ready we started up again with the privates. Seemed to work for us.
3rd post!

This child is 10 years old right? I always remember something I learned with soccer coach training: these kids will provide themselves plenty of stress, no need to add to it as a parent.

I've seen this with a number of kids and feel like given the advice you've received in this thread, you will be much prouder as a parent watching your child gain the confidence in life as a young lady by working through this on her own in a positive way (guided by you of course).

So, my question to everyone is this. By staying out of it, should I not spot her when she asks as well? Before you all panic, I do know how to spot I was a gymnastic coach as a teenager, and was taught how to spot backhandsprings. I actually think this is probably one of the reasons why she picked up skills quickly without many privates....because she would get me to spot her at home. She is not taking tumbling privates any more, and they don't do a whole lot of tumbling in practice now that comp season has started, so my worry is that she will get rusty and completely forget how to do everything if she is not having opportunities to be spotted on a regular basis.
My other question is regarding her comp this weekend. She is pressuring herself really badly over this comp. Apparently, she cried at practice last night 3 different times. I was not there, but I guess during a full out she tried to do her standing tumbling and bailed and fell on her back. Should the coaches not be suggesting to her that she duck in the routine until she is consistent again? She threw her standing tumbling at her last comp 2 weeks ago, and she is determined to do this same this weekend, however she keeps balking or bailing in practice and has not thrown a single handspring on the gym floor since the day of the last comp. I worry that she may bail and hurt herself, or feel embarrassed thus making things even worse. At the same time, I don't want to suggest she duck because it really is not my place to do so and I do not want her to think I don't believe in her. I think it would eliminate some pressure if she were to just duck for now......any thoughts?

Let her coaches coach her. If they want her to duck, they'll tell her.

As for spotting during a block - she has the skill without a spot. If you spot her too much at this point (during a block) she's liable to get addicted to having the spot and that simply reinforces the block. My opinion on you spotting her at home is the same as above. Let her coaches coach her.

Let her coaches coach her. If they want her to duck, they'll tell her.

As for spotting during a block - she has the skill without a spot. If you spot her too much at this point (during a block) she's liable to get addicted to having the spot and that simply reinforces the block. My opinion on you spotting her at home is the same as above. Let her coaches coach her.
But isn't it better that she throw a skill with a light spot to build confidence than not throw it at all? I have heard different things from different coaches. Some are very big believers in spotting when it comes to a block.

But isn't it better that she throw a skill with a light spot to build confidence than not throw it at all? I have heard different things from different coaches. Some are very big believers in spotting when it comes to a block.
In our experience, it's not better. We've been at this for over 11 years now and I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids with beautiful tumbling who can only do it with a spot or the coach standing right there. Our current gym really discourages spotting (especially during a block) for this very reason. I think there are times when learning a skill that spotting may be appropriate, but not when they already have the skill. That just teaches them they can only do the skill with help. Your CP isn't trying to overcome a physical hurdle but a mental one - there's no way to spot someone mentally.

every child is different...but I have seen many who became addicted to being spotted (whether coming off block or just in general)
I think blocks often occur at a time when bodies are changing... girls who are used to learning skills so fast are suddenly faced with a body that doesn't do things quite the way it used to. Couple that with a fall and it becomes a head game. My CP's hang up was the tumble trak. After trying to coax her, coaches opted to just let her learn new skills on the floor. Best advice is to just let your child work through this (and coaches if they want) on his/her own. As good of intentions as we parents have, they don't go over well in these situations.

When I had a (long) mental block on my round off back handspring tuck I could literally only throw it with a spot. For awhile I didn't throw it at all because I knew that when my coach said she'd spot me she wasn't going to so she could prove that I could throw it myself. I ended up starting taking privates & classes at an all star gym nearby.

I wouldn't say having a spot was a "crutch". It just took awhile for me to find a coach who was patient and didn't make me rush anything.

So I would say having a spot during a block is good thing. Although I wouldn't spot her at home unless she asks for it. Don't try to rush/push her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back