All-Star Can You Explain The Pros And Cons Of Crossovers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

RetiredI5cheer, I understand your frustration. I guess I have a lot to learn as far as cheer goes and what is acceptable or not. I appreciate your responses.. I have no idea about certain rules or cheer etiquette in regards to comps and crossing over. I feel you guys know a heck of a lot more than I do so it's why I asked.. the gym We attend is medium sized I guess, total of 5 full year teams and 4 half year teams. There is not a level 5 team yet established here at this gym. I appreciate the honesty tho. :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Fierce Board mobile app

RetiredI5cheer, I understand your frustration. I guess I have a lot to learn as far as cheer goes and what is acceptable or not. I appreciate your responses.. I have no idea about certain rules or cheer etiquette in regards to comps and crossing over. I feel you guys know a heck of a lot more than I do so it's why I asked.. the gym We attend is medium sized I guess, total of 5 full year teams and 4 half year teams. There is not a level 5 team yet established here at this gym. I appreciate the honesty tho. :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Fierce Board mobile app
I'm glad you've come on here to ask. I'm in no way angry at you, just to be clear! I'm sure you can understand my frustration. Imagine it this way-- JV soccer has plenty of JV kids to fill out their team. Instead, the JV soccer coach decides she wants to win and pulls down the freshmen and sophomores that made Varsity to play on JV. It's the same thing--if you have the skills to be on varsity and that was your appropriate team placement, you shouldn't be playing down to JV.

The use of cross overs for a small gym is a pro as it allows them to field more teams than if kids were not allowed to crossover. However the use of crossovers by a large gym is considered a con since it looks like sandbagging. Right @mstealtoyou?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

The use of cross overs for a small gym is a pro as it allows them to field more teams than if kids were not allowed to crossover. However the use of crossovers by a large gym is considered a con since it looks like sandbagging. Right @mstealtoyou?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Stop saying my name........lmao

negatives are the morals that your gym runs on... Is it fair to stack all of your teams against small gyms and give them no opportunity of winning. Legal yes, moral eh, not so much. It depends on how you want to run your business.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Ugh. It really makes me angry when teams find a loophole like that and take advantage of it. I'd consider that sandbagging because PREP teams are supposed to be just that-- teams made of athletes who aren't ready for the full all-star experience.

ETA: I just saw the earlier response about having level 3 and 4 athletes crossing to level 1 prep teams. @cheermom1981 this in no regards reflects you, but I am very disappointed to hear that your gym is doing that. Although it's not outright cheating because they found the hole to make it legal, I find it to be really unethical. Does this make anyone else upset or am I oversensitive as a coach of a true prep team?

I don't think you are being overly sensitive. What was the loophole? If they are going to allow All Star crossovers, then I think they should have them run in for stunts only and at a very limited number.

I don't think you are being overly sensitive. What was the loophole? If they are going to allow All Star crossovers, then I think they should have them run in for stunts only and at a very limited number.
The loophole is that all star prep teams and all star teams aren't allowed to have crossovers at the same competition. In order to be able to cross regular all star kids to all star prep, they are taking their all star prep teams to different competitions. It's not the tumbling that is influenced, it's the stunting. When you have REAL beginner level 1 kids, any stunt is a challenge. That same stunt becomes 100000% easier with a level 4 kid in it.

The loophole is that all star prep teams and all star teams aren't allowed to have crossovers at the same competition. In order to be able to cross regular all star kids to all star prep, they are taking their all star prep teams to different competitions. It's not the tumbling that is influenced, it's the stunting. When you have REAL beginner level 1 kids, any stunt is a challenge. That same stunt becomes 100000% easier with a level 4 kid in it.
I agree with you, I don't think it should happen. If they are going to allow it, then I definitely think the number should be limited to 1 or 2 for those unusual "life" circumstances (injury, bad illness, death in family, car accidents, etc).

I'm not sure the amount of full year kids crossing over to half year teams. I do know that Its encouraged within the gym. I now understand the positive and negative about this topic. I get the frustration about how it could look bad if too many kids do it, esp coming from a higher level team. My daughter does not cross over. The only positive she liked about the idea was having more hours a week to practice and tumble. Thanks again for all the comments.

My daughter cheered on two teams last year. One team was a mini team and the other team was a junior team. My biggest con was due to the age gap and the team's she was on would have 4 to 6 hour breaks in between competition times

In my opinion there are pros and cons of having crossovers, on my junior three team it's nice to have big bases/backspots, but it's great that those kids can fly on our senior teams too. One thing that I would say is definitely a con is that my kids don't have a long with their entire teams because we have overlapping practice schedules and crossovers.

Our gym strongly encourages crossovers. Hotcheer Hot 5 has kids that placed 4th in the small coed worlds on Senior 3 and Junior 3 teams this year and last year.

I personally am not a huge fan. I think it is unfair that we have worlds team members going down so far in level. We have a ton of kids. My kid does 2 teams. 2 is plenty.

Our gym strongly encourages crossovers. Hotcheer Hot 5 has kids that placed 4th in the small coed worlds on Senior 3 and Junior 3 teams this year and last year.

I personally am not a huge fan. I think it is unfair that we have worlds team members going down so far in level. We have a ton of kids. My kid does 2 teams. 2 is plenty.
My feeling is that Worlds team athletes should not be crossing over to anything but another level 5 team.
I'm wondering though why you are calling your own gym out on the boards....
ETA: I should have qualified that I think it's admirable you are doing so if you feel that strongly against it.

Last edited:
My feeling is that Worlds team athletes should not be crossing over to anything but another level 5 team.
I'm wondering though why you are calling your own gym out on the boards....
ETA: I should have qualified that I think it's admirable you are doing so if you feel that strongly against it.

I am just stating the facts about our gym. I realize that it is common with quite a few gyms. We have another level 5 team, but our level 5 crossovers are on quite a few teams in the 4 and 3 levels I worry more about the injury factor for someone doing 2 or 3 teams.

I would love to know the opinion of a sports medicine physician on this subject. The number of practice hours is increased for crossover athletes. I am sure that a lot of kids can handle it, but at what cost?

Back