All-Star Can You Explain The Pros And Cons Of Crossovers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am just stating the facts about our gym. I realize that it is common with quite a few gyms. We have another level 5 team, but our level 5 crossovers are on quite a few teams in the 4 and 3 levels I worry more about the injury factor for someone doing 2 or 3 teams.

I would love to know the opinion of a sports medicine physician on this subject. The number of practice hours is increased for crossover athletes. I am sure that a lot of kids can handle it, but at what cost?
I think that it is different for every kid. If you have a kid who thrives on physical activity and on pushing themselves and is injury free, then increased hours in the gym are probably great. If however a kid is already injured or not giving their body enough recovery time between practices, being on two teams is probably not the best thing for them.

We have been at gyms where if you did not do 2-3 teams you were not considered a team player...that is something I have a problem with.

When I cheered all stars, I was typically on three teams every year, plus my high school team. I loved the challenge. I loved learning multiple routines and I loved getting to do different levels and experience multiple styles of coaches. What I didn't like was how beat up my body truly was and I was too stubborn to realize it until it was too late. When I finally cracked and hurt it extremely bad senior year, that left three to four teams having to find replacements. It's probably not healthy to practice 30-40 hours a week and I'm sure most doctors would frown on it. But my parents enjoyed it because they got to see me perform more so competitions were a little more riveting for them.

The only legitimate way to do this thru a "call up", not a crossover. The crossover must move up a level to replace an athlete, not down. Sure it will weaken the upper level team skill wise but that's what happens when teams lose key players on the roster. Then you do callups of the top rated athletes at the next lower level and have them fill in where they are capable. The routine may need to be adjusted but it's better than allowing athletes to go down and fill in. Also, my way would discourage crossovers and teams would be inclined to only use them if absolutely necessary to compete. Crossovers as used in cheer aren't really legit in competitive sports.

The only legitimate way to do this thru a "call up", not a crossover. The crossover must move up a level to replace an athlete, not down. Sure it will weaken the upper level team skill wise but that's what happens when teams lose key players on the roster. Then you do callups of the top rated athletes at the next lower level and have them fill in where they are capable. The routine may need to be adjusted but it's better than allowing athletes to go down and fill in. Also, my way would discourage crossovers and teams would be inclined to only use them if absolutely necessary to compete. Crossovers as used in cheer aren't really legit in competitive sports.
What about lateral crossovers? Same level, different age groups? Like mine is a J5, S5 crossover. I don't see that as sandbagging or illegitimate.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

As an owner of HotCheer I'll say that we do encourage crossing as it allows us to offer a greater selection of teams. We do not make kids cross unless they want a higher level team than we think they have mastered- in that case there can be conditions to crossing such as do the team we think is best and we'll give you a chance on the team you want. We allow higher level kids to do the teams they want for multiple reasons. Worlds teams are different experiences and different pressures (at least at our gym) and it's our philosophy that the kids should be having fun. For some being on the Worlds team and no other is enough. Sometimes a mix of levels is best for the member in terms of demands placed on them vs. level of enjoyment, opportunities to focus on correct technique and form at a lower level that carry over to the higher level, and some of them are just attached to teams they've been on in the past. Regardless of what level the child crosses to and from and in spite of an extensive conditioning program, it is my opinion that those who do more than one team in our gym are in better cheer shape as they practice cheer run throughs more often. No one has to cross. Most people have an opportunity if they choose to do so. Regarding crossing out of level as was stated in the thread its common practice. I have no issue with other gyms doing it and we all need to do what's best for our program. Without specific data available this year I can only say I do not see increased injury from those who cross.

My feeling is that Worlds team athletes should not be crossing over to anything but another level 5 team.
I'm wondering though why you are calling your own gym out on the boards....
ETA: I should have qualified that I think it's admirable you are doing so if you feel that strongly against it.

I am just stating the facts about our gym. I realize that it is common with quite a few gyms. We have another level 5 team, but our level 5 crossovers are on quite a few teams in the 4 and 3 levels I worry more about the injury factor for someone doing 2 or 3 teams.

I would love to know the opinion of a sports medicine physician on this subject. The number of practice hours is increased for crossover athletes. I am sure that a lot of kids can handle it, but at what cost?
Not a physician, just a retired cheerleader. In high school I did 2 all star squads, my school squad and school competition squad. I cheered 6 days a week. Most days as soon as school got out until 9pm. I loved every minute of if! I loved the family that each team individually was and I loved getting to do different levels of skills. My parents loved that I had no time to get in trouble! Eventually it did take its toll on my body. I think the biggest lesson I and my coach learned, and the one I think all coaches should know is this: when you have an experienced athlete that has been doing this their whole life, they know their body and should listen to it. I was never the kid that would complain or ask to not throw something. The first time I tore my knee I was on my second practice of the day during nationals season. I was exhausted and can remember asking my coach if I had to go full out or if I could mark my jumps. He said no and after my tuck I was out the rest of the year. Lesson learned. If an athlete that never complains or asks to do something different does, it's not the end of the world to let them mark at that one practice. I think crossing over and getting to experience multiple teams is great, but you have to know your limits and take care of yourself while you do it!

Honestly i have no problem with crossovers especially if your gym doesnt have that large of a talent pool to choose from. look at it like this, if you put a really good cheerleader on a lower level team then you will have a greater influence on the team because that kid is talented and other athletes will want to be equal with that crossover in talent or that crossover could help that team get better by "spreading the talent." you could say, the only con to crossovers is if someone were to get hurt that is on 3 teams you would have to find a fill in equal in talent for those 3 teams. therefore an injury can not only penalize 1 team but 3

Not relevant at all.. but your picture is really scary :confused::oops:

Ugh. It really makes me angry when teams find a loophole like that and take advantage of it. I'd consider that sandbagging because PREP teams are supposed to be just that-- teams made of athletes who aren't ready for the full all-star experience.

ETA: I just saw the earlier response about having level 3 and 4 athletes crossing to level 1 prep teams. @cheermom1981 this in no regards reflects you, but I am very disappointed to hear that your gym is doing that. Although it's not outright cheating because they found the hole to make it legal, I find it to be really unethical. Does this make anyone else upset or am I oversensitive as a coach of a true prep team?
Ticks me off too.

I love crossing over personally because Cheer is my life and i cross over from an 34 team to a level 2 team and it is a great rest on level 2 and it is so easy but the con is i am up all hours of the night doing homework

As a crossover myself, I am on 2 full year teams. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end! You get twice the amount of time to tumble and stunt and improve as an over all cheerleader as everyone else. Of course everyone is going to like one team better. I love being on two teams but it is very tiring and frustrating at times but I love being with the girls.

I was a crossover on sr4 and sr2 last year.
Sr4 was my home team. We needed to have some girls cross down to give them enough numbers to compete. Some people say crossing down is bad because the lower level is 'easier' but I have to say I would rather throw that sr4 routine full out twice in a row than throw that sr2 routine once.
Being a level 4 tumblr on a level 2 team, they really pushed me to my limit with my specialty passes, and tumbling more than once in the routine, 'bounce back' tumbling, it was hard. Also being a backspot on sr4, I wanted to try my hand at basing, so the sr2 team let me do that.. If you do it for the right reasons, I see no problem with it. :)

Crossovers are essential for a very small gym.
<<<<< most of those J3 girls crossed over to S3. Otherwise, the gym could only have filled maybe one small S4.2 team.

This year, we don't even have 4.2. The only senior team is level 4, but we do have J1,2,4. This is the last year quite a few of the girls will be able to do J4. With the only Y team in the gym being level 3, it will be interesting to see what happens next year.

So I've been a crossover for as long as I can remember, and this is my 11th year of allstar. I've never competed a tumbling pass, so I'm not bringing teams up in tumbling. I'm usually just there for stunting. And I've always competed like l2-l3 or l2-l4...this year I'm on S3 & S5R. I love being a crossover! Pros for me are I'm more in shape, my endurance is up, I take more time to focus on school work because I know I have practice, and I just love having two families of girls. Cons for me are I definitely have no free time, which sucks because I can't see my boyfriend or friends as much as I wish I could, and I'm more worn out now. But honestly, I hated the year I was only on one team.

Back