Can't Stop Rolling My Foot!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 9, 2011
So when I pull my scorps and scales on my right leg I always end up rolling onto the side of my foot, and as a flyer this is causing huge problems. My old gym used to pull stretches on the left leg (that's British cheer for you) and I never end up rolling it on that leg. Now that I've switched gyms I've got the flexibility on the right leg but my foot wont stop rolling! Any tips for stopping my foot from rolling? Thanks!

Practice on the ground and then on a can to make sure you have it well. If it's still happening in the air, it could be your base's grip causing your foot to roll.

In your spare time, you should go onto youtube and do some yoga. That might help you with balancing. Mark your stunts on floor so that you can see what the problem is. If your heel doesn't wobble on ground, it's probably your base's grip that's causing the problem.

I agree with all of the above, I think that you need to try and think about standing on the inside of your foot and practice this skill on the ground. Getting your right shoulder more flexible will help you grab the scrop with more balanced hips, also just take a few minutes to stand on each foot in a lib with your eyes closed for a minute each foot maybe 3 to 5 times a day you will get more ankle strength and control. Hope this helps!

I agree with the posts above. The can is a good, cheap, way to improve balance. Factors that could be affecting your ability to balance are flexibility, strength, and coordination between your brain and your muscles.

oops, accidentally posted before I was done. As well as balancing on the can. You can try balancing on one foot with your eyes closed. This will make your brain have to use senses, other than sight, to coordinate your muscles, making your balance be more efficient!

So when I pull my scorps and scales on my right leg I always end up rolling onto the side of my foot, and as a flyer this is causing huge problems. My old gym used to pull stretches on the left leg (that's British cheer for you) and I never end up rolling it on that leg. Now that I've switched gyms I've got the flexibility on the right leg but my foot wont stop rolling! Any tips for stopping my foot from rolling? Thanks!
First check your skeletal structure, maybe a part of your body is not centered properly. I am an equipment designer. It would be much easier to let my equipment do the teaching. Training on my equipment will wake up and strengthen all the intricate muscles in the foot and ankle. Then you convert this new strength and knowledge into rock solid holds. Also the vibration of the pole will allow you to find center throughout your body. Check out our training videos at www.cheerbalance.com

Back