Can't Tumble On The Trampoline! (double Troubles?)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 8, 2012
So my main problem is that my tumbling on the floor vs. the trampoline is completely different... Which poses problems when I have to learn doubles on the trampoline first...

I have the worst problem setting on the trampoline! No matter how hard I try to set, I just get sling-shotted backwards! I have been told to make my roundoff/backhandspring longer with hope that my legs will land further away from my body and allow me to set more successfully but this has a 1/5 chance of happening...

I do take privates with my coach, and this is mainly where we work on the trampoline. At practice, we only work skills that we already have, so my private is the only time I have to work on doubles. It's getting really frustrating... I hear that boys should be able to learn all this stuff really easily and be good at it, but I'm having the most (un-needed) trouble! I thought it might be helpful to know that I am a guy lol...

I have a really good set in my tuck and layout on floor, and even on the trampoline lately! But whenever I start fulling, it's like my body changes everything! My coach tells me I try to twist right off the floor sometimes, I don't wait and set.. This is hard to explain but I'll try: I don't pull up and twist, like I let my shoulders fall back when I start to twist... ? My coach puts it into terms that if I'm twisting, I need to set "up a pole" and twist around "the pole" instead of allowing my left shoulder fall backwards when I start twisting left. Main point: when I start twisting, I'm no longer lifting up/setting, I suppose...

I could see all of these being factors of play as to why doubles are so hard for me... It's been a 2 year process now that I've been working on them.. My full has gotten so much better; for some time I thought maybe I shouldn't be working doubles when my full was struggling, BUT my full has gotten worlds better over the season... Anybody have any tips, drills, ideas? I trust my coaches with everything they say (I wouldn't be where I was today in tumbling without them), I just think maybe somebody else could put things into other terms that I might understand a little better!? Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: I know that it's hard to judge or help without seeing a video of my tumbling, but that's probably not gonna happen... Sorry! (besides, every time I tumble on the trampoline, theres basically something else and different that I'm doing wrong anyways lol)

Is your set better not on the trampoline? Not being able to tumble on the trampoline isn't neccissarily a bad thing. See if your coach will let you double off the rod floor into a mat in the pit instead of on the trampoline.

I have double troubles too - I can't twist past half ;)
Haha but really... My coaches had me do layouts and when I see the floor say "floor" or "ground" or something, and then when I started twisting they said "when you would normally say floor, turn your head" it basically is just a drill to get you to twist late, but I've found that when I start twisting off the ground it helps me to do the drill again, because it forces you to wait before twisting, and in turn makes me set up before I start twisting.
Do you twist out of a backhandspring or a roundoff backhandspring? at the full clinic this weekend the guest coach told me to do it out of two backhandsprings (I usually do it out of one) because you have more momentum. Having more momentum means you don't have to try so hard to get off the trampoline so the twist comes more easily. I don't know how to explain it but I was "fighting" to get off the trampoline and my set was hard, so it was difficult for me to twist because I had to work so hard to get of the tramp.... if that makes sense?
When I have setting issues I go back to tucks, then do layouts, then start twisting, because it helps me to feel what I should be feeling in my full. But you probably already tried that

Is your set better not on the trampoline? Not being able to tumble on the trampoline isn't neccissarily a bad thing. See if your coach will let you double off the rod floor into a mat in the pit instead of on the trampoline.

He says he wouldn't mind doing that if only we had a pit at the end of our rod floor... We kind of have like a hard/solid mat... It's cushiony but he says not enough for first time doubles...

...When I have setting issues I go back to tucks, then do layouts, then start twisting, because it helps me to feel what I should be feeling in my full. But you probably already tried that

Thanks so much for your help and personal stories! I do the same thing too! I start with tucks, then progress to layouts, then fulls.. And once I start getting really bad sets in my fulls, my coach will make me go back and throw some tucks or layouts...

I mostly do it out of a round-off backhandspring, and sometimes out of a standing back handspring... We have literally tried EVERYTHING! LOL Standing 2 back handsprings, 1 back handspring, drop stop, no drop step, power hurdle ro-bhs, ro-2 bhs, just a round off, anything you can think of, We've tried it.. Lol

It seems like running tumbling causes problems where I get too much power and I can't even try to set because I'm out of control.. It just sling shots me back, I can't do anything about it... So then we try standing and it's either not enough power or I'm not pushing my body backwards enough so it gets hay-wire... I can't even explain the problems I have there... Lol

Back