All-Star ? Champion Cup : I Saw This On Facebook ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

well............. first of all any school cheer team from michigan that competed here would be breaking MHSAA rules. Second of all "each state could have 72 teams represntin...." theres not even 50 all star teams in michigan.

I'm definitely intrigued and will follow this closely. I am for anything that furthers the cheer experience. I am skeptical of anything that would cause conflict amongst coaches/gyms because I have a good relationship with my peers and I wouldn't want anything to disrupt that.

I think this has great potential to be the contingent through which cheer gets out from under the Varsity/USASF thumb. It sounds as if it would be basically a true Olympics of cheer, just drawing from the US though (hopefully just for now).My question is this-who does the recruiting? Is it the cheerleader's coach who does this or the individual/their parents? Is it THIS June that submissions need to be in by or next (June 2013)? Is it level 5 ONLY (like a World's qualifier, following the same age restrictions, etc.)?

I think this has great potential to be the contingent through which cheer gets out from under the Varsity/USASF thumb. It sounds as if it would be basically a true Olympics of cheer, just drawing from the US though (hopefully just for now).My question is this-who does the recruiting? Is it the cheerleader's coach who does this or the individual/their parents? Is it THIS June that submissions need to be in by or next (June 2013)? Is it level 5 ONLY (like a World's qualifier, following the same age restrictions, etc.)?

After the coach selections, the coaches would oversee the tryout process for their teams.

This June the coach selections will begin, followed by the tryouts later this summer.

This is for all levels.

Hey SharkDad are you and CEA affiliated with this new concept of competition? And if so in what way? Just curious seeing as how you seem to be the man with the info!!!

Hey SharkDad are you and CEA affiliated with this new concept of competition? And if so in what way? Just curious seeing as how you seem to be the man with the info!!!

I'm a graduated CEA parent patent now.

I've been privileged enough to be asked to help with this event so I'm committed to make sure it solves as many of the regular event concerns as possible that people always have.

The main problem I see is that this event will be held in the summer where most allstar and high school team do most of their intense training and choreography for the upcoming season. I don't think many coaches would be excited to lose many of their athletes to a state team that would have to train and compete in the summer. The allstar and high school teams would lose much precious practice and it would hurt them in their season.
Also what if one athlete did high school, allstar and this? they would have time for anything else! even doing just two of these is pushing it, for example I know a few girls who do allstar and high school and many times they leave high school practice or a game to go straight to all star practice. and where I live towards the end of high school comp season and beginning of all star comp season many comps have high school on saturday and all star on sunday. So basically what I'm saying is dividing your time between two teams is very difficult and I don't think many would want to do it.

I think that would be the reason my kids wouldn't be interested. They LOVE summer for the conditioning, tumbling and learning new stunting for the coming year. It's all I can do to get them OUT of the gym. My son already decreed he's bumming rides and will "live" in the gym all summer long (I.e. when I'm at work he's finding his own ride) and I don't think they'd give up that training time for anything. Summer is when our kids tend to pack on the skills.

The main problem I see is that this event will be held in the summer where most allstar and high school team do most of their intense training and choreography for the upcoming season. I don't think many coaches would be excited to lose many of their athletes to a state team that would have to train and compete in the summer. The allstar and high school teams would lose much precious practice and it would hurt them in their season.
Also what if one athlete did high school, allstar and this? they would have time for anything else! even doing just two of these is pushing it, for example I know a few girls who do allstar and high school and many times they leave high school practice or a game to go straight to all star practice. and where I live towards the end of high school comp season and beginning of all star comp season many comps have high school on saturday and all star on sunday. So basically what I'm saying is dividing your time between two teams is very difficult and I don't think many would want to do it.

But no one is forcing any kid to do it. It's however they want to balance their time.

I think it sounds like a great idea with tremendous promise. It might ruffle some feathers of many from a traditional all-star sense, but I think it is pretty clear that some ruffling needs to take place.

It would definitely ruffle feathers.
Many all star gyms have policies that you can't even take tumble classes outside of their gym. Much less cheer for an additional state gym some where else.

Maybe it's the pessimist in me (which is actually not a large part of me) but the opportunities for recruitment are significant. I get that it's over the summer so it's the "off season" (if there is such a thing) for all star so it's "legal" But, to have the best of the best in one place with some other Allstar coach...probably from the same state....

I just think the temptation for that coach would be awfully significant to build a superstar all star team for their home gym.

I see drama. LOTS of drama....not that it's a foreign concept to anyone in the cheer industry.

I think sometimes there's what's best for the sport and what's best for private business and they don't always go hand in hand. I'm sure the people who devised this concept were not setting out to use it as vehicle to poach, recruit or make super stacked teams, but genuinely trying something new to see if we could shake up an industry that's threatening to implode due to monopolies, intractable power brokers and lots and lots and lots of money.

Disclaimer: I may be in an optimistic mood because I was listening to too much TSwift today. There may be some seriously nefarious shenanigans driving this project but I'm too giddy to speculate.

I think sometimes there's what's best for the sport and what's best for private business and they don't always go hand in hand. I'm sure the people who devised this concept were not setting out to use it as vehicle to poach, recruit or make super stacked teams, but genuinely trying something new to see if we could shake up an industry that's threatening to implode due to monopolies, intractable power brokers and lots and lots and lots of money.

Disclaimer: I may be in an optimistic mood because I was listening to too much TSwift today. There may be some seriously nefarious shenanigans driving this project but I'm too giddy to speculate.
I applaud anyone who is trying to fix the damage the USASF continues to do to this sport

Back