All-Star Cheating With Over Age Kids On Teams!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a soccer referee, one of the things we often talk about in training classes is "spirit of the game" when it comes to enforcing rules. And there are some things that we adjust for when we referee younger kids (throw-ins, etc.) to ensure that the games don't become a steady stream of whistles for minor infractions. Because at the end of the day, the game is supposed to be fun and the rules shouldn't be an undue burden on teams in extraordinary circumstances.

That being said, I think when you're talking about the eligibility of athletes, you have to take a hard line. I would never allow, at a tournament, a team could use an overage athlete or one not registered to play for a particular club. (it actually opens me up to liability issues as refereeing a game with ineligible players may mean that i'm not covered by USSF insurance if something bad happens)

I think cheer competitions have to take the same level of responsibility - it does not matter if the ineligible athlete doesn't impact the rankings in the competition in any way. It violates the "spirit of the game".

Just rec'd this from US Water Polo. 1 time $5 charge. Yes, I can see where cheaters could still cheat (by using the "I don't have a social security # process and submitting altered documents) but it is a step in the right direction and one that I think Cheer should follow too!

USA Water Polo is implementing a new birth date verification requirement for all USAWP athletes participating in National Championship Events. This will be a ONE-TIME CHARGE of $5.00 paid online through TC logiQ Secure Website. Gold athlete members MUST complete this process prior to participating in any National Championship Event - in particular the Regional Junior Olympic Qualifier which is fast approaching.

This process can take up to seven (7) days to receive results so we urge all athletes to complete the verification right away, to avoid delays as the qualifiers get closer. Clubs will not be able to verify and submit rosters until all athletes' birth dates have been successfully verified in our system.

National Championship Events include:
- Regional Junior Olympic Qualifier
- National Junior Olympics
- TURBO Champions Cup (& qualifier)
- Rocktober PCA 12 & Under Classic (& qualifier)
- Masters Nationals
- US Opens of Water Polo

ALL ATHLETE MEMBERS (ex: silver, bronze, coach, etc.) are strongly encouraged to complete the birth date verification process at this time should they wish to participate as an athlete in a National event at a later date.

NOTE: This is separate from the coach and referee background screening. Coaches and referees who also wish to compete as an athlete in a National Championship will need to verify their birth date and will need to create a separate login using the birth date verification link - they will not be able to login through their coach/referee background screening account.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Click Here to sign into your USA Water Polo membership account
2. Scroll down your account homepage and click on the blue “Birth Date Verification” button
3. You will be redirected to the TC logiQ secure web site
4. Follow the directions provided on screen to validate your USAWP membership.
5. Once your membership has been validated, continue onscreen to create a TC logiQ account and verify your birth date.6. You will receive an email when your birth date has successfully been verified
>> For families with more than one child...
You will have to complete the verification process for EACH child. A unique username is required, so we recommend the use of your USA Water Polo member ID as the username so you can create an account for each child. Keep in mind this process only needs to be completed once, you should not need to login again.
>> If you do not have computer/internet access…
If you do not have access to a computer or prefer to submit the verification form directly to USAWP Membership office, please complete the Birth Date Verification form found online & return with payment to:
USA Water Polo Membership
2124 Main Street, Suite 240
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

There is an additional $5 processing fee for those that submit a paper application to USA Water Polo. There is no processing fee to apply online – please follow instructions above.
>> If you do not have a Social Security Number/Card…
Follow instruction steps listed above. When prompted for Social Security Number, please enter 000-00-000. After you have submitted your screening, you will need to fax TWO forms of identification* directly to TC logiQ customer service at (888) 823-0371.
Please note: International members may also need an I-9 form.

*The two acceptable forms of identification required must consist of one from List A and one from List B below: 

List A
A color copy of any government-issued photo ID (i.e. driver’s licenses, identification card), government-issued passport, OR current elementary, middle or high school ID card with photo (for those without a driver’s license or government-issued ID)

List B
A copy ofcertification of birth abroad, certification of report of birth, U.S. birth certificate, Native American tribal document OR similar documents.
Thank you for your support on this new initiative!

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
USA Water Polo
(714) 500-5445

I hear you, nothing like beating that kind of competition. I do believe in karma :) our babies are just soooooo little. They're all at the bottom of the mini age bracket. They've come soooo far in the last few weeks though. They compete again next weekend after about 7 weeks off. They usually finish just into the top half of their competition, I think they're going to move. Our coaches not only got team back walkovers in the last 7 weeks but they're tumbling....together! That's amazing for a group of 6 year olds.
It is amazing watching the progress at this age. The being in sync is one of the hardest to get - it feel so good to watch it all click. Our girls will be finishing the year doing a level 2 because they have just made this huge leap and are just grasping things so quickly. Most will still be minis next year still we only have a handful who have to move up. Best of luck if they are getting in sync at 6 just imagine when they hit 8!

if we still won by a large margin (13.5 points to be exact), and the 16 year old is even smaller than half of the j1 team, then i dont see that as an unfair advantage. obviously we would have still won. the fill in did not tumble, jump, or dance, she only did stunts. so all in all, regardless of the sixteen year old fill in, we would have still won. and we did abide by the rules. we asked the EP if we could use a fill in that was overage. they said it was alright if we were willing to start 10 points in the whole. we were, so rule is broken. if the EP is fine with it, then nothing can be done. it was a fair fight for both teams.
If the EP was fine with it I think the next step is to get the okay from the other teams you are against. If they have a problem with it I don't think you should be able to use the overage athlete. Everyone should have the same information and be on the same page.

If the EP was fine with it I think the next step is to get the okay from the other teams you are against. If they have a problem with it I don't think you should be able to use the overage athlete. Everyone should have the same information and be on the same page.

from what i gathered, they did ask the other teams. because we did not get a speedy answer. we got it about half an hour later, and we were placed to perform after all the other teams... so i am assuming they agreed.

Are there ever sanctions for blatent cheating? There is one nearby gym who has been competing a 20 year-old on a Sr. 3 team all season. Our gym manager has turned them in to three different companies--including us finals. They were allowed to compete at us finals without her and won the division. She even received a jacket. How is this possible?

Are there ever sanctions for blatent cheating? There is one nearby gym who has been competing a 20 year-old on a Sr. 3 team all season. Our gym manager has turned them in to three different companies--including us finals. They were allowed to compete at us finals without her and won the division. She even received a jacket. How is this possible?
I shimmied you because you didn't have any and that makes me sad :)

Thanks for the shimmy--I am new here!

I do hope to get an answer. I am sad that even with proof of the real age--the EP are still "investigating" and have not acted. The season is over for that squad.
I think what you'll find is that it's up to the individual EP and more often than not, nothing happens. That's what I'm getting from having read this board anyway. They're in this for the money, theyre not about to go strip a championship from a gym (especially if that gym is large or frequents a lot of their events) for fear of losing their competition fees for the next time. Since there is no standardization across ... Basically anything.... There is no official sanction that's going to come out from anyone. I can see them calling those folks and saying, hey don't do that again...but if you finished second to them, I wouldn't hold your breath that a box of jackets will arrive in the mail, even though it would be the right thing to do. sad but true.

if we still won by a large margin (13.5 points to be exact), and the 16 year old is even smaller than half of the j1 team, then i dont see that as an unfair advantage. obviously we would have still won. the fill in did not tumble, jump, or dance, she only did stunts. so all in all, regardless of the sixteen year old fill in, we would have still won. and we did abide by the rules. we asked the EP if we could use a fill in that was overage. they said it was alright if we were willing to start 10 points in the whole. we were, so rule is broken. if the EP is fine with it, then nothing can be done. it was a fair fight for both teams.
I wonder if the team you beat would see it the same way.

Hi cheer il. I live in Kentucky now. But I use to live in Illinois. My friends use to go to that gym . My mom almost made me quit cheer when she found out teams were cheating even though I didn't go there. My mom says shes not sure she wants me to be part of cheer if teams cheat. They have cheated for a long time, but we don't even live their anymore...not sure why my mom is still talking about it. Does anyone know anything I can say to her?

Hi cheer il. I live in Kentucky now. But I use to live in Illinois. My friends use to go to that gym.. My mom almost made me quit cheer when she found out teams were cheating even though I didn't go there. My mom says shes not sure she wants me to be part of cheer if teams cheat. They have cheated for a long time, but we don't even live their anymore...not sure why my mom is still talking about it. Does anyone know anything I can say to her?
The first thing you may want to keep in mind is blatantly calling out other gyms on this board. That's a fast way to start a lot of drama and being new....you don't want that reputation on the board, it will get unpleasant very quickly. As an aside, the grammar gurus will pile on (see the appropriate use of "their") and call you out, if you're calling out other people/organizations.

That all being said....I find it ironic you're doing the same thing you claim to want to stop your mom from doing....only she's saying it to you....and you're saying it to several thousand people on a public message board.

My mom says shes not sure she wants me to be part of cheer if teams cheat.

This is an excuse given in lieu of some other reason. Because no matter what we do, somone will cheat in everything. All people can do is remain vigilent and stop it when possible.

But if you can't participate in any activity in which someone might be cheating, then you're never doin' nothin'.

The first thing you may want to keep in mind is blatantly calling out other gyms on this board. That's a fast way to start a lot of drama and being new....you don't want that reputation on the board, it will get unpleasant very quickly. As an aside, the grammar gurus will pile on (see the appropriate use of "their") and call you out, if you're calling out other people/organizations.

That all being said....I find it ironic you're doing the same thing you claim to want to stop your mom from doing....only she's saying it to you....and you're saying it to several thousand people on a public message board.
Not sure I understand everything you said. But I dont want to cause drama. I was not trying to call someone out. But I see that I should not have said any gym by name. My mom says that someone cheats and gets caught and they still are allowed to compete then there is a problem. I feel bad because I love cheer but mom feels bad about it.

Sorry.

Back