All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What would be your top 3 factors for growth?

Currently we consider winning as our marketing, having your programs named call in top 3 in each division tends to stick in athletes and parents minds

I'd also consider our choreography a factor for growth as a high entertainment level tends to stick as well,

Lastly good business sense is always favorable and nice for parents to see you understand what needs to be done behind the scenes

Ps your growth numbers gives me hope we can follow CA footsteps! At year 9 with 230ish

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Off the top of my head:
1. Kids having fun / Positive atmosphere
2. Families feeling that their athlete is progressing and their team can be a contender.
3. Customer service / communication

It is counterintuitive, but worth noting that nearly every time we had an "off" season (like our NCA this year), the next season had the largest growth. Despite what everyone always says, winning is NOT the main reason gyms get bigger. I tell people that ALL the time, but hardly anyone ever believes me.

Off the top of my head:
1. Kids having fun / Positive atmosphere
2. Families feeling that their athlete is progressing and their team can be a contender.
3. Customer service / communication

I agree. I'd also add:

Consistency throughout levels/teams

I agree. I'd also add:

Consistency throughout levels/teams
This is the biggest reason CA is my dream gym. I feel like CA is one of the only gyms in the country where you know no matter what team you make, from IBK all the way up to wildcats, you know you'll be amazing. At the very least, you'll be a contender. I would seriously be ecstatic to be on any team at CA.

For Plano placements, did y'all consciously avoid making teams in certain levels to save those for Austin so you can avoid same level teams between the 2 gyms?

Are there any rules about teams competing against each other from the same gym/organization?

At what age and skill level do you think it makes sense driving a child back and forth (long drives to and from) to be part of a top world class gym like yours? Do you require athletes to take tumbling classes on top of team practices? Are team members allowed to take tumbling classes at other gyms?

At what age and skill level do you think it makes sense driving a child back and forth (long drives to and from) to be part of a top world class gym like yours? Do you require athletes to take tumbling classes on top of team practices? Are team members allowed to take tumbling classes at other gyms?

1. That is a completely individual decision. We have some travel in from far away to compete on nearly every level, but it is much more common at level 5.

2. We do not require athletes to take tumbling classes on top of practices, although many do.

3. Team members are allowed to take classes wherever they wish. Sometimes, other gym have policies against our kids taking classes there - but that is their policy, not ours.

For Plano placements, did y'all consciously avoid making teams in certain levels to save those for Austin so you can avoid same level teams between the 2 gyms?

Are there any rules about teams competing against each other from the same gym/organization?
We will try to avoid competing directly against each other when possible, but ultimately, each gym must make decisions that benefit their gym and their athletes. If that means we have teams that share divisions, then it is what it is.

I don't know if this has already been asked, but I did search the thread to no avail.

Does everyone who registers & tries out make a team? I know there's a wait list after the fact, but I'm talking about the ones who are already registered. Also, if there were enough kids wait listed that were of certain ages (i.e. youth, junior, senior) & had similar skills, would you ever consider adding another team for them?

I don't know if this has already been asked, but I did search the thread to no avail.

Does everyone who registers & tries out make a team? I know there's a wait list after the fact, but I'm talking about the ones who are already registered. Also, if there were enough kids wait listed that were of certain ages (i.e. youth, junior, senior) & had similar skills, would you ever consider adding another team for them?
We try to find a place for everyone, but no, every athlete does not make a team. In particular, the males who are only age-eligible for Wildcats face pretty tough odds. There were actually several males with specialty to doubles that we simply did not have enough roster spots for.

We do credit them back all of their tryout money if they are not placed on a team.

It is VERY difficult to add a team to our schedule after the regular teams are placed. Coming up with a schedule for the coaching staff with minimal overlap is fantastically complicated with 25+ teams. Simply dropping another team into the middle of that once everything is set is nearly impossible. That is why we really try to get everyone we can to show up for the actual tryouts. We have more than enough athletes now on the wait list to make another team, but the logistics of creating another one at this point are daunting at best.

Also, at some point, our quality would suffer if we spread our staff and resources out any more. We had actually assumed that by raising our prices fairly significantly this season, we would not experience the type of growth that we did. It is a great "problem" to have, but there are some challenges involved. We have been able to make it work in a way that we believe will be effective, but adding more teams would be very difficult at this point.

Also there aren't too many divisions left to put new teams without doubling up somewhere.

Names of new teams? :)

I think this is correct for Plano. Austin teams are not selected yet. (Some of the teams' divisions changed many times during discussions, it is possible there are mistakes here.)

Tiny:
Show Kittens - Tiny 1 (show team)​
Itty Bitty Kitties - Tiny 1​
Mini:
Bobcats - Mini 1​

Youth:
KittyKatz - Sm Yth 1​
Cougars - Sm Yth 2​
Lions - Lg Yth 3​

Junior:
BearKatz - Sm Jr 1​
Katz - Lg Jr 2​
Icecats - Sm Jr 3​
Lynx - Lg Jr 3​
Bengals - Sm Jr 4​
Thundercats - Lg Jr 4​
Jags - Sm Jr 5​

Senior:
Sabres - Lg Sr 2​
Firecats - Sm Sr 3​
Ligers - Lg Sr 3/4​
Ocelots - Sr Co 3​
Tigers - Sm Sr 4​
Mountain Lions - Sm Co 4​
Prowlers - Lg Sr Co 4​
Felines - Sm Sr R5/5​
Pumas - Sm Sr Co R5​
Swooshcats - Med Sr 5​
Junglecats - Md Co 5​
Panthers - Lg Sr 5​
Cheetahs - Lg Co 5​
International:
Wildcats - IOC5​
Ladykatz - IO6​
Special Needs:
SuperKatz - SN​

would you share the parameter of the calculation you use to track retention?

What I think you mean is the percentage of how many athletes try out again who are eligible. (Those who don't move away, go to college, etc.)

We will go back an recalculate that later - even tracking it by team and coach. Right now, there is too much going on to spend the kind of time that would take.

Back