All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just can't get over how expensive it would be to fly in for practice, or to drive multiple hours to and from the gym. I have no doubt that it's completely worth it for a lot of families, and I'm impressed by the dedication, but the cost would be incredible...
For some people money is not an issue, sadly I am not one of them. Please contribute to my gofundme.

**Big shout out to the Boarder that tagged me in the "Cute Puppy" pictures on the other FB. You are the best**

I just can't get over how expensive it would be to fly in for practice, or to drive multiple hours to and from the gym. I have no doubt that it's completely worth it for a lot of families, and I'm impressed by the dedication, but the cost would be incredible...
I've heard a couple of the kids who fly in have parents that work for airlines so it's free/cheap. Not entirely sure how accurate that is though.

We commute 2.5-3 hours each way and it only costs me an extra $100/month in gas. We only go to that gym for practice, she tumbles at a gym 15 minutes away the rest of the week...

We commute 2.5-3 hours each way and it only costs me an extra $100/month in gas. We only go to that gym for practice, she tumbles at a gym 15 minutes away the rest of the week...
That's still quite a commitment, but I was talking about kids who drive 6+ hours or fly in once or twice a week. Clearly for some people money is no issue, and I have no doubt they feel it's worth it, but the cost would be huge.

Last edited:
That's still quite a commitment, but I was talking about kids who drive 6+ hours or fly in once or twice a week. Clearly for some people money is no issue, and I have no doubt they feel it's worth it, but the cost would be huge.

what parent who is sane would agree to this, i cant see that working unless the kid was homeschooled or something.

Question for those parents that drive 4 hours to CA...
What do you do while they practice? My dad used to drive me to a gym that was only 1 1/2 ish away, and he'd either sit in the parking lot the whole time or he'd go thrift shopping.... I'd come back to the car and he'd bought like 10 new records... He was always so bored haha.

what parent who is sane would agree to this, i cant see that working unless the kid was homeschooled or something.
I know my parents would never agree to it...

Their view has always been that cheer is only one component of family life and could never be the #1 priority. Academics, social life, family time, other activities, my parent's work, their social life – all important. My parents are also anti-homeschooling. So spending hours and hours per week in the car or on a plane would never have been achievable.

As a parent I would not drive hours for cheer, I don't know how some parents and CPs do it plus have school and family life.

As a parent I would not drive hours for cheer, I don't know how some parents and CPs do it plus have school and family life.
What family life? Lol.

It can be difficult (we only drive 2.5 hrs each way) but some of the results can be great. Closeness, valued time, better time management etc...

**Lets be clear, it was the food talk that locked the thread. Food=bad, Puppies = good**

What family life? Lol.

It can be difficult (we only drive 2.5 hrs each way) but some of the results can be great. Closeness, valued time, better time management etc...

**Lets be clear, it was the food talk that locked the thread. Food=bad, Puppies = good**
"Only" 2 1/2 hours? Your thinking of only is completely different from mine! . I only had a 10 min drive. Lol

"Only" 2 1/2 hours? Your thinking of only is completely different from mine! . I only had a 10 min drive. Lol
Some, like yourself, are lucky to have a gym that suits your needs so close. Others might have to drive a little bit farther to find a gym that has an environment that works the best for them. If the family finds a way to make it work, I don't see the issue.

First gym was around 15 minutes but when looking for something different we went with the most suitable option available. It just happened to be a bit of a drive. Current commute is about 20 minutes but cp rides with a friend. My wife did a lot of that driving as she is a stay at home wife.

We did similar travel times for non-CP when playing hockey. though practices were local that league was based in a town almost 3 hrs away so we did a lot of winter travel for that as well.

Some, like yourself, are lucky to have a gym that suits your needs so close. Others might have to drive a little bit farther to find a gym that has an environment that works the best for them. If the family finds a way to make it work, I don't see the issue.
Never said it was an issue....it is a personal choice that some will/can do and like me some will not. We were very lucky to love our gym and never felt the need to look elsewhere.

Back