All-Star Cheer Extreme Questions And Answers From Courtney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Since it seems that CEA has a magic formula for creating the level 5 teams, what percentage of your athletes on level 5 have actually moved up through your program from a lower level team. And how many of them walked into your gym at level 4 and higher?

That is what I think you were getting at from the very first. I can't answer, but I can tell you looking at SE and SCE last night, most of these kids have come up through the K-Vegas route for this year, it seems almost all of them.

Since it seems that CEA has a magic formula for creating the level 5 teams, what percentage of your athletes on level 5 have actually moved up through your program from a lower level team. And how many of them walked into your gym at level 4 and higher?

This is a CRITICAL aspect of the discussion. Gyms like CEA, World Cup, etc., seem to attract a fair number of people from outside their immediate geographic area. Often times, these people have maxed out at their local gym.

That's still a virtue in and of itself - to be able to attract elite athletes from other gyms and coach them to their max potential - but it is different than bringing in kids who start without a cartwheel and turning them into level 5 athletes by sheer force of will and teaching.

This is a CRITICAL aspect of the discussion. Gyms like CEA, World Cup, etc., seem to attract a fair number of people from outside their immediate geographic area. Often times, these people have maxed out at their local gym.

That's still a virtue in and of itself - to be able to attract elite athletes from other gyms and coach them to their max potential - but it is different than bringing in kids who start without a cartwheel and turning them into level 5 athletes by sheer force of will and teaching.

Again, the vast majority I see on the teams I saw last night are B.

There are only 6 lower level teams (less than 175 athletes) and 6 level 5 teams (200 athletes if none were crossovers). I would say most gyms have 75% lower level and 25% level 5 teams. Are your level 5 teams not comprised of mostly level 5 athletes perhaps? I just don't see how a program could have long lasting success without a strong foundation to stand on.

If you're asking Courtney a question or maybe providing a comment back to her for answering, then great.

If you are having a separate conversation to make yourself feel better then start your own thread. It's easy to do.

If you're asking Courtney a question or maybe providing a comment back to her for answering, then great.

If you are having a separate conversation to make yourself feel better then start your own thread. It's easy to do.

I agree and I started a thread about another aspect of this conversation. However in all fairness @StarshipTrooper did open the conversation here.

I agree and I started a thread about another aspect of this conversation. However in all fairness @StarshipTrooper did open the conversation here.

Actually Courtney opened it with a very interesting and thought provoking post but I certainly highlighted it to provoke discussion. It is a interesting post and pov. Ask her about the thread if needed Shark Dad, but I doubt she will too upset about the discussion. She's a big girl.

Again, the vast majority I see on the teams I saw last night are B.

That's interesting - I would be curious to know if Courtney knows or has an idea of the actual percentage. Our level 4 and 5 teams are heavily weighted towards "homegrown" kids, but those teams only make up maybe 15% of our gym's population.

oh i saw that :)
i was replying to @Num1Stunta

No way... I would be considered a level 2/3 tumbler nowadays with the skills I had in college. I was totally mental about tumbling and also not naturally skilled at it. BUT, I never paid $8,000 a year for instruction either. Just a self-taught tumbler who learned stuff mostly by trying it on a hard floor.

It's one thing if you don't have a natural ability or if you don't really care about ever having a full. But, if you're going to be paying tons of money with the expectation of learning and obtaining new skills every year, and you aren't learning those things, that is a problem. I think that's what she is getting at. It is a coach's job and a gym's job to ultimately allow the best training possible to all of their athletes, but whether or not the athlete is willing or able to take advantage of that is a different story.

While I see both sides, just to be "devil's advocate".... Why do they HAVE to progress? Kids do sports for all different reasons, which is why the level system is so great. My kids do it because they are competitive and want to win, etc. They are both level 5 cheerleaders, and that is great. But some kids like to do it as an "activity", for more of the social aspect of it, and why should they not be able to do that? Not saying I would pay all that money for it if they weren't trying to progress, but for many kids, they just like to be a part of something. So if all they ever get is a back handspring, level 2 is there for them. That goes for every kid, at every level. I feel that all stars is very different than rec or school even at the lower levels. I will use Stingrays as an example. Even their half year teams, to me, look more polished and together than a rec team (MOST, not ALL) that has been together since summer. I feel that way about all their level teams. They learn more, learn differently, etc. But not all kids are going to have the same drive or attain the same skills. So I feel that the level system, in addition to being progressional for those that WANT to progress safely, also offers kids of all talent levels to be a part of this community.

well then i guess our gym isn't for them?

I think it is controversial because not every kid is talented enough to become a level 5 athlete in a few years. I would say in my experience that only the best athletes can successfully level up from 2 - 5 every single year by maxing out skills in each level.

and yet we have so many of them....;)

well then i guess our gym isn't for them?

I wasn't being critical. It seemed the point was put up for a discussion. I do not discourage any business tactic that works as long as it's legal of course, LOL! And perhaps your comment is true, maybe it isn't...but the notion that success is only measured by how many levels you move up seems narrow-minded, that's all. No need to get defensive as your posts here seem to be. Maybe they aren't, but they seem to be. Just was saying that I think cheer is for everyone, even though my children are level 5 athletes.

I wasn't being critical. It seemed the point was put up for a discussion. I do not discourage any business tactic that works as long as it's legal of course, LOL! And perhaps your comment is true, maybe it isn't...but the notion that success is only measured by how many levels you move up seems narrow-minded, that's all. No need to get defensive as your posts here seem to be. Maybe they aren't, but they seem to be. Just was saying that I think cheer is for everyone, even though my children are level 5 athletes.

I didn't take offense...I was being serious. :) Maybe we're not for them.

Back