College Cheer Music Format In College

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I noticed that the UCA College Nationals is the only Collegiate Nationals that I could think of in which teams are required to perform a cheer (usually in the middle of the routine). All the other nationals use the all-star style (all music) routine. Your thoughts?

UCA college is the only competition that I know of that stops its music. Possibly some high schools still do?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm pretty sure the cheer comes before the routine for NCA style routines. Personally I like UCA style better.

You cray-cray.

It's a 45 second cheer that you do before the routine in prelims only. I like it because you can't actually do any skills (besides preps/toss hands/standing tucks) so there's not a ton of pressure and it gets you out on the mat in front of a crowd. I always thought it helped my nerves.

But you don't do it in finals so I wouldn't really classify it in the same league as the UCA cheer. It's something you learn like a week or two before going down to Daytona.

I don't like the stop to do a cheer style, but I also haven't had to do that since high school.

You cray-cray.

It's a 45 second cheer that you do before the routine in prelims only. I like it because you can't actually do any skills (besides preps/toss hands/standing tucks) so there's not a ton of pressure and it gets you out on the mat in front of a crowd. I always thought it helped my nerves.

But you don't do it in finals so I wouldn't really classify it in the same league as the UCA cheer. It's something you learn like a week or two before going down to Daytona.

I don't like the stop to do a cheer style, but I also haven't had to do that since high school.
Hmmm I never thought of it as a way to help your nerves before the actual routine. I think that would help me too.

Hahah I probably like UCA way better because I grew up doing just high school competition cheer (thanks mom and dad) so it's the norm for me.

Hmmm I never thought of it as a way to help your nerves before the actual routine. I think that would help me too.

Hahah I probably like UCA way better because I grew up doing just high school competition cheer (thanks mom and dad) so it's the norm for me.

It was norm for me until I went to college. But after 4 years of that and now level 6 (I never did AS in high school) I prefer it. It takes so much energy to do a cheer and stunt/build pyramids.

You can't even do extensions in the 45 second (and we didn't make finals once because we did them - oops).

It was norm for me until I went to college. But after 4 years of that and now level 6 (I never did AS in high school) I prefer it. It takes so much energy to do a cheer and stunt/build pyramids.

You can't even do extensions in the 45 second (and we didn't make finals once because we did them - oops).

Some how I always got lucky, I was almost always a sign/poms/tumble girl in the front for our HS cheers but I agree, it takes so much energy to stunt then.

You can't even do extensions then?! That's so strange!

You cray-cray.

That is correct. At the UCA Nationals, squads are allowed to perform 2 1/2 high pyramids and basket tosses in their cheer segments while the NCA is limited to shoulder stands, chairs, extensions, etc.

That is correct. At the UCA Nationals, squads are allowed to perform 2 1/2 high pyramids and basket tosses in their cheer segments while the NCA is limited to shoulder stands, chairs, extensions, etc.

ETA: nvm.

Some how I always got lucky, I was almost always a sign/poms/tumble girl in the front for our HS cheers but I agree, it takes so much energy to stunt then.

You can't even do extensions then?! That's so strange!

Actually, you can now.

GAME DAY SCORE
Each team will be required to perform 45 seconds of Game Day material when they enter the mat for Prelims.
During this time, the team should display modern and/or traditional methods of getting the crowd to stand, clap,
cheer and/or make noise. Technical skills should be kept to a minimum and will NOT be judged during this time.
Skills are restricted to the AACCA Basketball Rules (see section H of the AACCA College Safety Rules). The use of
signs, flags, banners or other spirit related props are highly recommended. Due to safety concerns, items (t-shirts,
towels, frisbees, etc.) may not be thrown, tossed or released from the performance area into the crowd. Music may
not be used during this segment. The actual crowd response will not be factored into the judges’ scores. Only the
material being presented will be judged.
Each team will have a total of 45 seconds from the time their name is announced in which to enter the mat and
perform their Game Day segment. Timing of the 45 seconds starts immediately with the announcement of the team name.
Each team may stage at the back of the mat and set up props immediately following the previous team’s conclusion
and exit, but this may not delay the flow of the Competition. Timing deductions will be in effect for teams requiring
too much staging time. Once the 45 second Game Day segment is complete, the team will have another 30 seconds to get set
for the start of the routine performance (see Time Limit Violations for penalty information). This total 75 seconds will NOT
count toward the 2 minutes and 15 seconds of the Routine performance.
Each judge will score the Game Day segment on a scale of 0-10. This will be it’s own judging Category. The Game
Day scores will carry over to Finals where they will be calculated into the teams’ final score.

BASKETBALL RULES
3. At indoor court-type games such as basketball, the following skills may only be performed during pre-game,
halftime, or post-game (not during timeouts) where the area is free of obstructions and non-cheer personnel,
and all skills are performed on a matted surface.
a. Basket tosses, elevator/sponge tosses and other similar multi-based tosses.
b. Partner stunts in which the base uses only one arm to support the top person.
Exception: Cupies/awesomes are allowed with an additional spotter.
c. Flips into or from partner stunts.
d. Inversions. Exception: High school level inversions are allowed. (For example, suspended forward
and backward rolls, low-level inversions, and braced flips with two bracers are allowed. For college, the two
bracers and top person are not required to be double based.
e. Twisting dismounts greater than 1 ¼ rotation. Twisting dismounts up to 1 ¼ rotation on the court require an
additional spotter.
f. Two and one half person high pyramids.
g. Airborne twisting tumbling skills (Arabians, full twisting layouts, etc. Cartwheels, roundoffs and
aerial cartwheels are allowed.)

The UCA cheer is supposed to be something you would do at a game / timeout. That is pretty ridiculous.

NCAs is more realistic in that sense but still a bit forced.

Back