All-Star Cheer Perfection 12/19/12

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I watched it online (I have ADD at times myself and could not sit through all of that). That was a hot mess of something.

• Put the parents behind glass away from the gym floor away from the team while they practice.
  • I heard "adult movie" music a lot in the background of some of the show
  • If your cp does their routine for a crowd, as their parent, you praise them. Period. I don't care how much they mess up. You still tell them they did great. If they are that upset, you tell them to try hard and better luck next time. You tell them you are proud of them. You are their parent. It is your job to build them up and encourage them. Leave the coaching stuff to the coaches. Performing infront of a crowd is hard on the nerves.
  • If you cannot be nice to those around you, do not watch your cp at the gym. Go get some coffee or go shopping or something else.
  • Parents should just be parents and let the coaches be coaches. Sheesh.

Well, the gym owner doesn't seems to want to deal with the parents.....manager your parents, you are not their friend. They should be behind a mall with a film so that they can see the kids but the kids can't see them!

I saw on Alisha's page that she has a video of her oldest daughter working on double backs... She's a talented kid. I'm sure she's capable, but I just would worry that no one that works there is qualified to teach/spot skills that dangerous. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that scares me a little. :(

I saw on Alisha's page that she has a video of her oldest daughter working on double backs... She's a talented kid. I'm sure she's capable, but I just would worry that no one that works there is qualified to teach/spot skills that dangerous. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that scares me a little. :(

I don't truly feel that way. Some of the girls that they show are good tumblers, some of the clips of obviously not "Youth Silver" has some half decent technique. I am sure there are some qualified people there... while I feel they are in major need of a choreographer based on the opening alone of the routine, I don't agree that people are not "qualified". I think they set themselves up for the garbage and drama and the backlash.

I don't understand the point of working a double back unless you're a gymnast. It's not like they can be competed at any level in cheer...why risk the injury?

Well I know that a gym up the road from me, who is reputable for an extremely low injury rate, doesn't allow double backs in their facility. They say if an injury were to happen, their insurance wouldn't cover it. They also don't allow little girls (under 17) to work on level 6 stunts and baskets either. They agree with 12stepCheermom It's just not worth the risk. As far as the gym goes,and there being qualified staff to spot level 10 gymnastics. Unless there is a coach who has coached level 10 gymnastics, and has taught and spotted HUNDREDS of double backs,Im sorry, but he's not teaching my kid that skill..... You only get ONE neck in your life ya know. :)

I don't understand why this girl with a double is worrying about being on a youth level 2 team. It makes no sense... The coach makes me mad, too. Why do you yell that much at 9 and 10 year old kids. It's level 2, it's not that difficult or competitive. Calm yourself. And the whole making it to US Finals thing. What? It's not even hard to make it there. It's not worlds. You could go out on the mat, do a forward roll and a floor level lib and still make it.

I don't understand why this girl with a double is worrying about being on a youth level 2 team. It makes no sense... The coach makes me mad, too. Why do you yell that much at 9 and 10 year old kids. It's level 2, it's not that difficult or competitive. Calm yourself. And the whole making it to US Finals thing. What? It's not even hard to make it there. It's not worlds. You could go out on the mat, do a forward roll and a floor level lib and still make it.
Just because it is a lower level does not mean it is not difficult for those on that team and they try to be as competitive as the the next team in hopes of winning. If the entire team was made up of level 4 & 5 kids, them would agree it should not be hard for them.

Again, it's scripted.. most people in the world have NO idea what a level is in all-star cheer. Also most know of any form of tumbling as "flippy things"... to the outsider, any type of stunting whether it is a partner stunt, pyramid, basket toss is "those things where girls get thrown in the air". Now what this show is all about is MOMMA DRAMA and publicity.

I have already been asked by coworkers if I have seen it and they do not understand my look of frustration when they ask.. I mean lets face it.. no one will understand but us and TLC is making $$ off of it... people watched it, they hit their goal.... while I do agree with everyone that it is absolutely ridiculous, think about how many non cheer people you know and how clueless they really are!!!! And remember, a respectable gym would never in a million years subject themselves to this nonsense!

Y2 is one of the largest divisions in most comps we attend. Very competitive, FYI.

Y2 is one of the largest divisions in most comps we attend. Very competitive, FYI.

Amen! Our last competition had 14 in Y2. A competition we attended earlier this year had 11 teams. Very often you have to max out difficulty AND be clean in order to place top three.

That was my exact thought when I read that comment. Y2 and M2, even M1 are crazy competitive because there are SO MANY teams. I don't know how often in our 7 years the senior teams have had maybe 2-3 in their division and there have been 8-10 in the younger/lower divisions. Our first year my CPs M1 beat more teams than the rest of the gym's teams combined had beaten and we were still without a first place finish. The competition may be a lot more varied, but there is a lot of it. At the higher levels the stakes might be higher, but there aren't as many teams (for obvious reasons).

Amen! Our last competition had 14 in Y2. A competition we attended earlier this year had 11 teams. Very often you have to max out difficulty AND be clean in order to place top three.

Agreed. Go to any significant competition, and Youth 2 will almost always be one of the largest divisions. (And Youth 3 will often be one of the smallest.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back