Cheer Perfection, Wrap Up Of First Season And New Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ok maybe it is the fact that it is nearly 70 degrees in New England in October which makes me immensely happy, or that it is Friday, or a combination of both, but I just watched the U.S. Finals episode...... and I liked it:oops:. I thought it showed real cheerleading and real competition and more of the real emotions of the parents (with the exception of Ann because she is just a train wreck). From an insider's perspective I can still be irritated that it is U.S. Finals and not NCA and that these teams were not truly "#1 in the country" and there is a lot of sandbagging on Youth Silver, but it's legal and many teams play that game in some aspect. And as far as the penalty goes - if anyone has been to U.S. Finals, they have the most bizarre legality system of any competition I have ever been to, so I can see why the parents were upset - and while some of the mothers were over the top with their emotions, I thought Mandy and the father both handled it well and the coaches did too. I also appreciated the fact that they televised that they would have been third with no deductions. I thought this episode showed much of what any athlete and any parent goes through on competition day, and showed some decent quality cheerleading.

I actually agree that this was one of the better episodes and showed more of the broader competition than at anytime in the past. Probably because TLC did not waste half the show on manufactured Mama mayhem.

I only like Mandy - she is the only sane Mom.

I did not know about the bizarre legal system at US Finals - so good to know and I agree the safety deduction probably would have bummed a lot of parents. So since I wasn't there - I will hope the coaches prepared the girls to be gracious in defeat; and congratulatory of the winners; and TLC just decided to not show this part.

Our teams ALWAYS stood and applauded the first place team no matter where we placed. I don't like that what comes through in the show is a first or lost mentality.

Did not like the bit with USA Alltars. We have competed against them before and they are always impressive to watch and have been great sports as well. But the whole come into the room - we're all that attitude thing - was just this show giving cheer a bad name yet again and was sorry to see a team we like and know get dragged into the muck. I seriously hope this show gets pulled. The bad attitudes and mama drama is just BAD FOR CHEER!

I've heard through the grapevine that US Finals did in fact watch the video they provided and still called the legality. So... Whatever. Over this show.

Did not like the bit with USA Alltars. We have competed against them before and they are always impressive to watch and have been great sports as well. But the whole come into the room - we're all that attitude thing - was just this show giving cheer a bad name yet again and was sorry to see a team we like and know get dragged into the muck. I seriously hope this show gets pulled. The bad attitudes and mama drama is just BAD FOR CHEER!

I agree with the USA thing. Never in my life have I ever seen that happen. I've seen comedic pissing matches between coaches that are friends, but that had to be manufactured.
What bothers me most is that USA agreed to do it.

I agree with the USA thing. Never in my life have I ever seen that happen. I've seen comedic pissing matches between coaches that are friends, but that had to be manufactured.
What bothers me most is that USA agreed to do it.

Nobody actually does that. It was completely manufactured for tv. I have no idea why Becky agreed to do that. CP's team practiced alongside Passion one day a week last year. Those kids were awesome. They really did change the routine every practice, lol. But why agree to barge into another team's room at a competition, just because the producers tell you to? Yeah, no idea. When I heard that the gym agreed to do this show I died a little bit inside (the film crew came around and filmed a lot of additional material before the competition that never made it into the show).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

if anyone has been to U.S. Finals, they have the most bizarre legality system of any competition I have ever been to, so I can see why the parents were upset.
Could you please expand on this? We have a bid to the US finals and I want to make sure we're 100% prepared. Thanks

Could you please expand on this? We have a bid to the US finals and I want to make sure we're 100% prepared. Thanks

I wish I could give you something specific, but it has nothing to do with their scoring system. I have attended U.S. Finals several times and have seen more teams get penalized for something "illegal" that they have been doing all year without deduction. I understand that some moves fall in a gray area and if you do them incorrectly it becomes illegal, but it seems this is more than that because of how often it happens.
Regarding the judges not being able to review a different video, I have no idea if there was any truth to that or if it was just made up by TLC to create drama, but I have never heard of this before. There have been several competitions I have attended has used video review from another source (i.e. my video or another parent's video), so if it is true, it is another one of U.S. Finals offbeat rules.
Congratulations on your bid, and good luck!

I watched the season finale and was also there in person. CTR was lucky got get 5th and I truly believe it was only because they are featured on a TV show.

Aisha needs to step up her competition game. Those parents and kids are so misguided to think that performance was 1st place quality...SMH! This is what happens when you compete at the same comps/teams. When you go outside of your comfort zone reality smacks you in the face every time!

The whole deduction drama is just part of our sport!

There should have been another deduction for the coach jumping up on stage, too, per USASF rules only the competitors and competition staff are allowed on the floor. Secondly, I've been to many competitions where girls have vomited, gotten bloody noses, sprained ankles, etc. and the show goes on. The coach jumping up on stage was purely theatrics. Sadly, the girls kept going, like they should have until they stopped the music...but even then they kept trying. I give the athletes due props and wish they would have been allowed to finish their performance without the disruptive drama.

There should have been another deduction for the coach jumping up on stage, too, per USASF rules only the competitors and competition staff are allowed on the floor. Secondly, I've been to many competitions where girls have vomited, gotten bloody noses, sprained ankles, etc. and the show goes on. The coach jumping up on stage was purely theatrics. Sadly, the girls kept going, like they should have until they stopped the music...but even then they kept trying. I give the athletes due props and wish they would have been allowed to finish their performance without the disruptive drama.

Actually I think it is becoming more common especially given the age of this team and the chance that this could have been a broken nose or serious injury. I have been to multiple comps where an injury occurs and that coach is on the mat to take care of an athlete. I applaud the coach putting athletes first comp second. I don't think it would be a deduction as it was the coaches way of stopping the routine which falls into the USASF rules for Routine Stoppage.

Routine Interuption | USASF Rules Site

We went onto a mat a couple years ago. Now mind you it was right in front of us, did not disturb anything and our girls finished the routine the best they could. Our girl was having problems with her heart beating too fast so she blacked out. We got her off while the giving the medic that was there a heart attack. She thought she had tumbled and hit her head so she was freaking we loved her. But everything ended well for the girl she learned some exercises to get her heart healthy again.

Back