Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When non-cheer people claim that we try to use our skirts and spankies to create a "peek-a-boo" effect, and that high school cheerleading is an attempt to "sell sex". Ugh.

Or that the uniforms "over-sexualize" kids.

What folks fail to realize that most of them have been cheering for so long that the uniform is just...a costume.

In all honesty, as long as I can remember, I was like "GET THIS THING OFF OF ME!" as soon as I left the mat/game/whatever.

The first thing any of my younger kids are looking to do after awards is get out of it. Definitely not pose "seductively." lol.

Yep! Came down on partner stunts, She bobbled big time many times on stuff she can do in her sleep, and did a single only in standing and also watered down her elite pass
Grrrrrrr !

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
We've had a girl do this (obviously not at worlds, but at a competition). Her parents paid for her to go to camps and stunt privates at Cheer Athletics last summer (we're in Louisiana so it's not that far), so she came back a world-class athlete after a week :D Was in the front on jumps: messed up. Rode her basket with legs apart and flexed feet (it was supposed to be a straight ride and she was literally in a pike) Marked (yes. marked.) her bow and arrow in the one-leg stunts after, if I remember correctly, she forgot to front walkover into it (we're level 2 for crying out loud!), messed up on her dance and stood there with her mouth hanging open, and fell out of her braced extended heel stretch in the pyramid (after we hoisted her up bc she didn't switch her weight). But she decided this season she was far too talented for our gym, and just made a senior 3 in a town near ours. I wish that team the best!

I just want to rant . Scroll past if you don't want to see a rant I'm sorry ! Here goes ... Girls who get praise for being average . For example , a girl fell out of our stunts ( basically everything ) and we would of won if she didn't fall. After the routine our coach just said she needs to be tighter . Another top almost fell but grabbed her heel stretch weird, didn't full out of extension even though she was perfectly capable and can't turn properly at all . She got praise and cheerleader of the month for not talking at practice . Even though at practice I see her group talk between every stunt for at least 10 minutes . I guess another thing I hate is when girls talk a lot at practice. Anyways, I did a full up lib and I didn't glue my lib to my knee ( I know it was ugly but technically not a bobble ) because my bases weren't under me and I had my leg weird and my leg wasn't braced. everything else was completely done to the fullest of my capability in stunts. In the end I got threatened to get cut and he was really mad at me the rest of the season . Not because tumbling not jumps or dance just stunts! I don't get it I looked over the sheets 3 times, I asked the judges if the deductions were calculated right and watched the video repeatedly . It was just my leg but maybe it was just awful ? I don't know can someone please explain this !

We've had a girl do this (obviously not at worlds, but at a competition). Her parents paid for her to go to camps and stunt privates at Cheer Athletics last summer (we're in Louisiana so it's not that far), so she came back a world-class athlete after a week :D Was in the front on jumps: messed up. Rode her basket with legs apart and flexed feet (it was supposed to be a straight ride and she was literally in a pike) Marked (yes. marked.) her bow and arrow in the one-leg stunts after, if I remember correctly, she forgot to front walkover into it (we're level 2 for crying out loud!), messed up on her dance and stood there with her mouth hanging open, and fell out of her braced extended heel stretch in the pyramid (after we hoisted her up bc she didn't switch her weight). But she decided this season she was far too talented for our gym, and just made a senior 3 in a town near ours. I wish that team the best!

Every time she was in the air, she fell, bobbled or checked herself! She walked thru the dance. We knew she might do it, but $@#%# that she did!

Moms who try to ruin the sport for their kids
Bad coaching
When blame gets puts on one person when it should be the whole team

That one athlete who is always trying to correct someone else but is WRONG.

HS tryouts recently concluded. I am now back coaching as head coach. I have a new team. Comp team. I have some who are fresh off of JV (non comp.)

At the same time, there are some JV girls with all star experience. That's great.

One in particular was on Senior 3 last year at her gym.

Therefore, she has developed a habit of thinking "been in all stars for 4 years, therefore I know everything." She apparently corrected everyone last year because the JV coach allowed it.

My squad culture is a little different. I correct people. Not you. Nor should you really talk while I'm trying to give directions.

We are working on a Spring "debut" performance for the end-of-year rally (their first performance as a new team.) I was reviewing some counts. I turned around and watched her tell someone else "That's not right! It's this..."

I legitimately asked her "How many teams have you coached?" Her response: "None."

Me: "Clearly you have not because the counts you just taught were totally wrong. Pay attention to yourself before you correct others or you're going to have a hard time with me."

Then she did the "dramatic tear up and struggle through the next 30 minutes thinking someone cares when they don't" thing.

She's going to learn very quickly that she is not in Kansas anymore.

My cheer pet peeve. Cheerleaders who retire. I get people have lives and can do what they want. But, it just sucks when others would die to have the opportunity, skills, and team as others get to have and throw away. I get aging out is a factor but you're 16 and retiring is a tad ridiculous.

I did not post that to offend anyone. You took that like a tad offensive rather then respecting my pet peeve. Yeah, it's not a technical pet peeve but it's still MY pet peeve of cheer. And I did say that it's okay to venture to other things if you did not read that. But, I think it's like the new thing to "retire" then write a tweet about how you hope your fans forgive you. If you are going to retire and you have fans they will want the best for you. Retiring for the right reason is fine not because you want to write tweets to fans about it.

I did not post that to offend anyone. You took that like a tad offensive rather then respecting my pet peeve. Yeah, it's not a technical pet peeve but it's still MY pet peeve of cheer. And I did say that it's okay to venture to other things if you did not read that. But, I think it's like the new thing to "retire" then write a tweet about how you hope your fans forgive you. If you are going to retire and you have fans they will want the best for you. Retiring for the right reason is fine not because you want to write tweets to fans about it.
It sounds like you're more peeved by the public publicity fest over their "retirements" as opposed to the fact they retired....which is totally peeve worthy.

Back