Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheerleaders or parents that think they deserve to be on a team/level. We've just started team placements at my gym and have actually had parents texting our owner demanding to know if their kid was moved up (but they won't confront her in person!). One of the girls on our youth 1 has a sloppy standing backhandspring and is working running backhandsprings. She rolls her eyes when coaches tell her to fix something and is always the first to complain. She's very tiny but can't stand up in a prep based by our senior girls. Her response when our owner told her she didn't feel she was ready to handle a level 2 team was, "well get me ready!". I wish more parents would teach their kids that the world doesn't revolve around them. I can't imagine what my parents would have done when I was young if I had rolled my eyes at someone in authority!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think at times, there is a misconception among the unfamiliar parent that levels are like grades in school. You spend one year at L1 and next year you're L2. No.

This.

My favorite is when girls come in for school cheer tryouts, where the girls learn a cheer that first day (so they have Tuesday-Friday to work on it.) It goes a little something like this:

*learns cheer*
*practices it for the first time*
*starts off on the wrong foot*
*hyperventilates like "OMG I AM GONNA BE ON JV FOREVER! GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!"*
*has to take a break*

You just learned it TWENTY MINUTES AGO.

You've cheered before. You should know that you're GOING to mess up.
Reminds me of when girls (cheerleaders or not) say "Omg I'm so fat", just so their friends will deny it?!

Reminds me of when girls (cheerleaders or not) say "Omg I'm so fat", just so their friends will deny it?!

Yes!

They mess up, cry, then 5 of their friends come over like "Omygosh Suzie stop you're like so amazing. You did better on it than me!"

Same with the "stunt fall" cry where a girl is not so much hurt as dramatic and fishing for "awesome flyer" compliments.

You try a stunt twice. Second time, it falls. You're like "Omg you guys I'm the worst flyer EVER."

Stunt group is like "Omg Jenny stop you're like, the best, teeniest tiniest flyer we've ever had! Stop!"

- when people talk back to coaches
- when people don't even try
- when people sit out for no reason
- people that blame other people for everything
- people that don't wear bows
- people that (majorly) throw there head back in tucks and layouts etc.
There's more but I just can't think of any more rn

- when people talk back to coaches
- when people don't even try
- when people sit out for no reason
- people that blame other people for everything
- people that don't wear bows
- people that (majorly) throw there head back in tucks and layouts etc.
There's more but I just can't think of any more rn
How do kids get to sit out for no reason? Don't the coaches tell them they are to participate ??

If you are injured did you go to the doctor or are you tired from the conditioning you did last practice?Make them have a note, I mean they could go to their doctor and lie and get a note but most liars won't go through that much trouble.

Or if they are sick? You know when kids are sick. If it's the same kid each time then as a coach tell them it's just like gym in school. You will be docked if you cannot participate if you are not excused (doctors note). Then follow the same rules as absences. If they cannot participate in multiple practices because they are sick and cannot bring you an excuse for one of the 5 times they have claimed they have been sick then tell them this is the same as missing practice. You have been absent (basically) for X number of days and you cannot miss more then 2 practices so you are dismissed/ or you are an alternate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly. This year I know a girl who transferred to another high school in town for next year. She barely missed varsity at our school last year (which is known to be more competitive skill wise) and was walking around telling people how she "isn't even worried at all" about it and "it's ***** I could throw a handstand and make it"

.... She made JV.

Never be cocky, but don't be an attention seeker either! I feel like I can look around at tryouts and see who will make what, the only thing I generally am unsure on is alternate vs actual comp team member. We always have a pretty clear split. Here's a hint, if you based the hardest stunt anyone did, threw the hardest tumbling, had the best jumps and have good motions, you're probably fine! :rolleyes:

...How do you "throw" a handstand? Lol.

How do kids get to sit out for no reason? Don't the coaches tell them they are to participate ??

If you are injured did you go to the doctor or are you tired from the conditioning you did last practice?Make them have a note, I mean they could go to their doctor and lie and get a note but most liars won't go through that much trouble.

Or if they are sick? You know when kids are sick. If it's the same kid each time then as a coach tell them it's just like gym in school. You will be docked if you cannot participate if you are not excused (doctors note). Then follow the same rules as absences. If they cannot participate in multiple practices because they are sick and cannot bring you an excuse for one of the 5 times they have claimed they have been sick then tell them this is the same as missing practice. You have been absent (basically) for X number of days and you cannot miss more then 2 practices so you are dismissed/ or you are an alternate.

Kids only do what Coaches allow. Who is getting a Dr.'s note for every injury? My CP has 2 old injuries (that bother her from time to time). Every time she has issues, there will be no visit to Dr for a note for practice unless it requires medical attention. I'm not paying a copay for a Dr.'s note. At our gym if your kid is sick they are required to come to practice to sit and watch.

Brings me to a incident at old gym, where SM walks in lobby and see's her CP sitting out of practice. SM sits in lobby and stews for a bout 30 min. CP still sitting out of practice. SM storms into practice floor and screams for her CP to leave as she doesn't pay for her to sit out and do nothing. SM failed to even find out that her CP told coaches she was feeling nauseous. CrayCrayx10 IJS!

Kids only do what Coaches allow. Who is getting a Dr.'s note for every injury. My CP has 2 lignament and broken bone (that didn't quite heal right). Every time she has issues, there will be no visit to Dr for a note for practice unless it requires medical attention. I'm not paying a copay for a Dr.'s note. At our gym if your kid is sick they are required to come to practice to sit and watch.

Brings me to a incident at old gym, where SM walks in lobby and see's her CP sitting out of practice. SM sits in lobby and stews for a bout 30 min. CP still sitting out of practice. SM storms into practice floor and screams for her CP to leave as she doesn't pay for her to sit out and do nothing. SM failed to even find out that her CP told coaches she was feeling nauseous. CrayCrayx10 IJS!

In your case that's different. I'm talking about the kids who have no real injury ever but are always hurt. If a kid had a previous injury and mentions that then I would not put it past the kid to be true therefore I would not risk it. & let the kid sit out or make sections. I guess what I'm saying is these coaches should know their kids.. The coach that doesn't have the time to confirm with Suzy or her mother but just says yes sit out so they don't have to deal with it. I'm talking about in a repeated situation too! It's always that same kid with different things!

In your case that's different. I'm talking about the kids who have no real injury ever but are always hurt. If a kid had a previous injury and mentions that then I would not put it past the kid to be true therefore I would not risk it. & let the kid sit out or make sections. I guess what I'm saying is these coaches should know their kids.. The coach that doesn't have the time to confirm with Suzy or her mother but just says yes sit out so they don't have to deal with it. I'm talking about in a repeated situation too! It's always that same kid with different things!

Oh yeah there are several of those kids on my CP team. 1 had a concussion yet was tumbling in the other gym in a diff building 30 min prior to practice. But for J3 she needed to sit out, I guess so she could play with her phone for 2 hours.:rolleyes:

^^^See, as a teacher, you get really good at knowing who is sick vs. who is "sick."

My rule of thumb is that you NEED a Dr. note to sit out.

I've broken that a few times. Example: the girl who comes in with the Flu from Hell trying to push through it and has to stop during conditioning to vomit. Twice. Don't need a Dr. note to tell me you need to have a seat for today!

So yes, know your kids.

Back