All-Star Cheer Pet Peeves

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

...at large bids aren't passed down. Unless you mean people who decline them ahead of time.
Poor choice of wording. Meant that if your score was not high enough to earn an at large bid, you shouldn't get one because the five teams in front of you have already gotten theirs. It makes it much easier for Craptastic to get their bid when they know they can go to a comp at the end of the season and there are 8 at large bids, 16 teams competing and 10 already have their bids.

Not in any way trying to fuel the fire but I am an 18 year old, 100 lb, 4'10" flyer. My dance and tumbling are on par with the rest of my team, but because I look like I'm 12 years old in the air my team, and often my coaches are criticized for not putting "senior aged flyers" in the air. At 18 I feel I've earned the spot I have, I've based before but my height makes it difficult to work with most of the other bases on my team. So, my pet peeve is when people assume that just because a flyer is small, she is young and then apply the term "fetus flyer".

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I don't appreciate the term used. I've said it before and ill say it everytime it's used. Children's size in anyway that could be negative should not be mentioned.

Agreed! I also hate hearing anyone tell a kid they are "too tall" to fly or "too short" to back. There is no correct height to do any position in cheerleading. It is like a puzzle. You work with the pieces you have on the team to find the best fit for each of them.

Giving a kid a complex is a lot easier than you think it is and I hate seeing that happen. In fact, just because someone is taller or shorter than their average classmate, doesn't mean that they are out of place and "sandbagging" or using "fetus flyers." Yeah, it happens that some teams don't actually keep all the teams as age appropriate as they can, but some kids just aren't average either..and that is GREAT!!!

Agreed! I also hate hearing anyone tell a kid they are "too tall" to fly or "too short" to back. There is no correct height to do any position in cheerleading. It is like a puzzle. You work with the pieces you have on the team to find the best fit for each of them.

Giving a kid a complex is a lot easier than you think it is and I hate seeing that happen. In fact, just because someone is taller or shorter than their average classmate, doesn't mean that they are out of place and "sandbagging" or using "fetus flyers." Yeah, it happens that some teams don't actually keep all the teams as age appropriate as they can, but some kids just aren't average either..and that is GREAT!!!
You can most definitely be too short to backspot. Sure, you have to work with what you got as far as your team goes, but there are certain jobs different people are better physically built to do. That said, it's really all relative to the size of the rest of the people in your group.

You can most definitely be too short to backspot. Sure, you have to work with what you got as far as your team goes, but there are certain jobs different people are better physically built to do. That said, it's really all relative to the size of the rest of the people in your group.

not always true, you never know, until you try. I was put as a flyer purely based on my stature (5 foot). It went ok, but my stunt group was always a little behind everyone else. When we got a new flyer and changed around our stunt groups I was placed as a backspot. (a short backspot). But it actually worked out to be my strength. My stuntgroup went to the most advanced once. So I think everyone should try every spot, regardless of their size, to see what works best for them.

not always true, you never know, until you try. I was put as a flyer purely based on my stature (5 foot). It went ok, but my stunt group was always a little behind everyone else. When we got a new flyer and changed around our stunt groups I was placed as a backspot. (a short backspot). But it actually worked out to be my strength. My stuntgroup went to the most advanced once. So I think everyone should try every spot, regardless of their size, to see what works best for them.
Then obviously you weren't too short to backspot.

Not in any way trying to fuel the fire but I am an 18 year old, 100 lb, 4'10" flyer. My dance and tumbling are on par with the rest of my team, but because I look like I'm 12 years old in the air my team, and often my coaches are criticized for not putting "senior aged flyers" in the air. At 18 I feel I've earned the spot I have, I've based before but my height makes it difficult to work with most of the other bases on my team. So, my pet peeve is when people assume that just because a flyer is small, she is young and then apply the term "fetus flyer".

I would guess though that even though you are petite, at 18 you look more mature than a 10 or 12 year old who is of identical height, even if its just in your face.

I would guess though that even though you are petite, at 18 you look more mature than a 10 or 12 year old who is of identical height, even if its just in your face.
To be honest people have guessed 13 or 14 when they don't know how old I am. I've never looked my age. We have other petite flyers who are 16-18 that people assume are older by their face. But I look like a baby. Guess I'll be grateful for that when I get older.

Exactly!! I'm sorry but you could be 17yr old, 5ft, healthy, well toned flyer but bc you're "small" you get ragged on as being a negative thing. yojaehs is right, size shouldn't be used in any way that is negative. And just bc you're allowed to state whatever you please doesn't necessarily mean you should.[/quote

This reminds me of my own daughter. She will be a sophomore in high school this year, she's on a senior 4 team. Her 11 year old sister will surpass her in height any minute now. But she's not a flyer. She bases, and is pretty dang good too. She can base girls bigger than her, and keep the stunt more solid than the bigger girls. But she's very sensitive about her size. I dread when someone tries to guess her age, they always get it wrong and it hurts her. So for her and girls like her, flyers or not, thanks for this. She's earned every spot she's had, and the kid is a beast.

I agree that it is easy to give a kid a complex (without even knowing) if their are not comfortable with something in first place.
But it´s not easy - i always try to word everything as positive as possible, but sometimes i struggle to find the right words how to tell a kid why she isn´t flying/backspotting/dancing in the front rows.
But this would be another thread - How do you positively word routine changes to kids ;)

Back