All-Star Cheer Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 8658

what are ways other gyms get their stunts so consistant?

how many times do you run routine per week of practicing?

do you tumble every practice?

and how do you work on timing as a whole team? what does your coach have you do?

i just wanted to see the difference between how all the gyms practice

hit it as many times as we can over and over
over 20
yes
always do roundoffs and first back handspring even during hard marks
know the counts

Stunt progressions are key. Make sure that you've mastered the skill below the one you're working on, because it will really help in the end. If you're competing at the right level, this won't be a problem... If you're competing at a higher level than you should be, you're going to be pushed to learn new skills quicker, which usually leads to falls/inconsistency. Drills are awesome as well... Try to come up with something that will help you to mimic the movement that you're trying to accomplish, without actually doing it (i.e. timers for rewinds, kick drills for kick full/double baskets, etc.)

We run the routine about 3x per practice (so 6x per week) and spend the rest of the time perfecting sections/skills

Yes, we tumble every practice.

For timing, I will slow the counts RIGHT down and only speed up once everyone is doing their motions/jumps/etc. together. Think about when you learn a dance; you usually start slow, then work up to the pace of the music. The same concept works for everything else as well... At least it seems to for us! :)

Repetition, but with corrections.... obviously if something isn't hitting over and over again, you need to stop and figure out what is going wrong. Don't let the groups continue making mistakes, because all that's going to do is breed bad habits. :)

During our full out routines if a stunt falls we have to do it 3 times after. Or if it falls in competition then we have to do it 25 times at the next practice!

Mirrors along the front side of the floor help a lot with timing. People can see that they look sloppy instead of being told. Helps with the whole look of the routine really.

Mirrors along the front side of the floor help a lot with timing. People can see that they look sloppy instead of being told. Helps with the whole look of the routine really.

thats such a good idea i wish our gym had those!

I agree, always look at yourself in the mirrors when you do the routine full out or a part of it. It helps you see your mistakes.

but a big thing that I know is not talking and staying focused. It's okay to have fun and laugh when you need to, but you have to be serious and take everything serious while still having fun.

Back