Cheer Schedule

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What kind? Level? Does it include tumbling? How tough is school? Are there siblings that the family needs to shuttle places? How far is practice?
As you can see, many factors come into play.

How many times a week do you practice now?

*If you are a telemarketer, or wrong number, and contact me I apologize in advance**

my daughter is at the gym 3 nights a week. 2 for practice and 1 for tumbling. when she was on 2 teams, she was there 4-5 days a week. surprisingly, when she was there more, her grades were better. go figure. lol

Cp8 is there 5-6 times a week and often is begging to find a place to practice on Sundays too. Two nights are mandatory team practices which she combines with tumbling class. And the other nights are a combo of strength and conditioning, flight school or tumble. She is a total gym rat, lol and can't get enough of it.

Cp8 is there 5-6 times a week and often is begging to find a place to practice on Sundays too. Two nights are mandatory team practices which she combines with tumbling class. And the other nights are a combo of strength and conditioning, flight school or tumble. She is a total gym rat, lol and can't get enough of it.
I would caution against allowing her to do too much as the long term strain on her body can take its toll on her.

*If you are a telemarketer, or wrong number, and contact me I apologize in advance**

I would caution against allowing her to do too much as the long term strain on her body can take its toll on her.

I completely agree with your concern. So much so, that I have talked with her doctor about it and for now I (we) am ok with her schedule because she is doing a variety of different training (strength, flex and tumble) and she is not doing high level/ impact tumbling. She is one of those kids who thrives on being busy and being in constant motion. On the days where she is not active, I see a difference in her concentration even in things like homework ect. As her routines get more intense, we will evaluate . Her grades are excellent right now too, but if they drop, we would have to to.

There's no set answer to what a kid should or shouldn't do in a week.

The biggest thing is knowing your kid and periodically making sure things are going ok (which I'm sure all the parents in here are doing) with the schedule (grades are still good, they're not excessively tired, getting injured, etc.)

Sometimes, a parent will say "She LOVES being in the gym all the time and would just DIE if I had her cut down on gym time."

Then you get the kid in a private and she is goofing off, tired or just not focused. Then you sit down and actually ask if they WANTED to take a private today and they tell you straight up "My mom said I had to."

It's important to periodically communicate with your kids and actually listen to them re: the schedule they have. Generally, a kid isn't going to come out and tell you "I don't feel like doing _____" but you have to kind of "read" them. Ex: Your kid might not tell you that 3 teams and 2 privates a week is too much, but if she was an A/B student and is now a C student, or is now complaining of pain that she didn't have two months ago, it may be time for you to start the "Is this too much?" conversation.

Last edited:
I completely agree with your concern. So much so, that I have talked with her doctor about it and for now I (we) am ok with her schedule because she is doing a variety of different training (strength, flex and tumble) and she is not doing high level/ impact tumbling. She is one of those kids who thrives on being busy and being in constant motion. On the days where she is not active, I see a difference in her concentration even in things like homework ect. As her routines get more intense, we will evaluate . Her grades are excellent right now too, but if they drop, we would have to to.
Cp was same way. 7-8 yrs later I see the toll on his body. Mentally I see it as well.

Cp was same way. 7-8 yrs later I see the toll on his body. Mentally I see it as well.

:( Point taken. It is hard to find the balance. The one thing that I do make sure is that there are no repercussions for the few times that she says that she is too tired or didn't want to go (or whatever). She knows that the 2 weekly team practices are the only mandatory things and that the others don't have to be. I try my best to make sure that she is balanced. Believe it or not, this is an easier schedule since we aren't doing her rec team too this year.

I hear you...and trust me, I know that I teeter on the edge of being an SM,especially since lil bear does love it so. Thank you for reminding me of that.

:( Point taken. It is hard to find the balance. The one thing that I do make sure is that there are no repercussions for the few times that she says that she is too tired or didn't want to go (or whatever). She knows that the 2 weekly team practices are the only mandatory things and that the others don't have to be. I try my best to make sure that she is balanced. Believe it or not, this is an easier schedule since we aren't doing her rec team too this year.

I hear you...and trust me, I know that I teeter on the edge of being an SM,especially since lil bear does love it so. Thank you for reminding me of that.
All kids are different so may never be an issue for little bear. Just know cp started off doing 2 teams, took classes, etc.., now I see the physical toll it has taken. Mentally he has grown so much with it and it has helped him immensely in school but I can see some mental burnout coming.

There is no set amount of time, you have to see what is best for your cp. I always worry about my kids doing too much, especially as all four of them cheer and therefore we spend a considerable amount of time in the gym. My CP15 is cheering 4 or 5 days a week (two team practices, tumbling, privates, stretch classes and she helps out with the mini team), and wants more but is there as much as the gym is open, whereas CP10, is there three nights a week, even though she is on two teams, she spends less time attending privates and extra tumbling classes because that's what she wants, and whereas my CP7 wants to go to the gym when her siblings are cheering so she can do something there, CP10 isn't as bothered, she just likes the team practices more than anything, so she only attends one private, one tumbling and one strength and stretch class. It really depends on the child.

i'm there 4-5 times a week. 4 days a week are practices/mandatory tumbling. and the 5th day is usually a private either for tumbling or stunting. usually i go 4 times a week, but if i have time i'll go 5 times. it's a bit difficult for me, however, because the drive is a bit long to be going almost everyday of the week.

All kids are different so may never be an issue for little bear. Just know cp started off doing 2 teams, took classes, etc.., now I see the physical toll it has taken. Mentally he has grown so much with it and it has helped him immensely in school but I can see some mental burnout coming.
CP16 (girl) was a gym rat a few years ago but it definitely took physical toll like stress fractures, her knee pain got worse, and on and on. The following problems with struggeling to get/keep her spot and not getting pulled out of her corner when someone was needed wore her mentally out...I´d say she burnt out (and me too... the things that happened caused me more and more swinging in SM mode I guess).
And yes, mentally she has grown much too.

She´s still crossing over and assistent coaching one of the teams but she doesn´t want more than 2-3 days max in the gym right now, so I highly respect that (see above).
So, yeah, definitely depends on the kid :)

Back