All-Star Cheer World...ctd

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do know the author. As I had mentioned earlier my child cheered with her on two of the teams talked about in the book. I did not know about this book prior to it being released. I am NOT defending her or her actions by using names in the book but I do know for a fact that her claims were accurate about certain people and the gyms we were at. I also know some of the people she was talking about and what she was claiming about them "seemed" to be accurate too. I've only come on here to say that some people are misleading what she is saying. That is it. Nothing more nothing less. I am not a random "coming out of the woodwork" defending her. I read the book and made some comments based on the entirety of the book and not just the sample of the book. My child is now on highschool cheer and wants to get back into all-star. We lost money at two gyms because of the situations the author spoke of.

Seeming accurate and being accurate are two very different things, and talking about (or writing about) what is "seeming"-ly accurate, without proof, is still slanderous/libelous.

Let's be real, I want her to write another book so I can stay on top of the shimmy list.

Hi, my name is Tamara. Long time poster, first time shimmy leader... :D

I noticed you were at the top of the list, Tamara. My first inclination is to roll my eyes and tell all of you how ridiculous Fierceboard and 'shimmies' are, but let's be real--I live for it.

You state in your review: "Hopefully it was not the intention of the author to make others believe that this is what it's like in the world of cheer (in IL or otherwise), because while it is in some places, it's not like that everywhere." The title of the book is Cheer World - MY life as an Illinois All-Star Cheerleader. Sounds to me that this was HER story. And in the author's note at the end of the book it says "This memoir is strictly MY experience that I've had with all-star cheerleading in the past few years. I'm NOT sure whether or not this applies to every area in the United States," Again, reading the entire book and comprehending what she is saying is key. I found the "Notes from the Author" the most informative about all-star cheerleading. For instance, she writes "I feel like cheerleaders and coaches are constantly trying to prove to the world that cheer is a sport." That pretty much sums up one of the most talked about subject in all-star cheer. There are several paragraphs in the Author's Notes that explains the reasoning behind the book.

It's unlikely this literature is going to become a major player in the 'is cheer a sport' debate. I don't think that's the concern for most people.

I have no idea who wrote this, what gym they are with, or what their motives are. But SURELY, the author is going to look back on the decision to write it and agree that perhaps it wasn't the best idea.

I think it's great that the author has friends willing to come online and defend them to some level. But c'mon, it's not even debatable = this book was a bad idea for many reasons. We should probably stop posting and let the story die. We AREN'T going to be hearing about this in the mainstream media.

It's unlikely this literature is going to become a major player in the 'is cheer a sport' debate. I don't think that's the concern for most people.

I have no idea who wrote this, what gym they are with, or what their motives are. But SURELY, the author is going to look back on the decision to write it and agree that perhaps it wasn't the best idea.

I think it's great that the author has friends willing to come online and defend them to some level. But c'mon, it's not even debatable = this book was a bad idea for many reasons. We should probably stop posting and let the story die. We AREN'T going to be hearing about this in the mainstream media.

I really, really wanted to leave this alone, but just can't because that last statement truly bothers me.

Let's forget about the book altogether, the fact is underage drinking, drugging and sex with coaches is a FACT in this industry. Why is it that so many people are willing to let it be swept under the rug? Is it because it isn't your kid, or your gym or your athlete or your coach? Why can't there just be a discussion on this issue and what can be done about it?

I seriously doubt anyone would think it was ok if it was a teacher or school coach taking athletes or students to their homes and partying with them, so why is it ok because it is outside of a school setting. Why are statements like "teens will be teens" or some such thing even tolerated?

Why ever would you believe that the media would not be interested in this? Believe it or not there are journalists that do nothing but stories on kids/teens doing______ (pick your story).

I mean seriously, there were helicopters circling a family resort where the largest cheerleading competition was held. One covered by ESPN no less! Do you really think that there isn't any media out there that wouldn't like to hear more and see pictures and video of illegal/inappropriate behavior? How would your behavior change as a gym owner or a coach or an athlete if you thought that there was even a remote possibility that there were people walking around with hidden video camera's at different cheer events?

Forget the book, what are you as gym owners/coaches and parents going to do about this problem? Or is it just easier to pretend it doesn't exist?

I really, really wanted to leave this alone, but just can't because that last statement truly bothers me.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he was talking about the book not making mainstream media.

I believe there is a new thread started discussing the topics that you want to be discussed so badly. I don't appreciate the constant question as to why most of us are "willing to let it be swept under the rug". I believe most of us (if not all) would take the appropriate actions if we knew this was something that was going on in a gym in which we were involved.

SkyBlue. You are so worried about the coaches and gym owners part in the underage drinking... I think the bigger problem is the terrible parent that provided her daughter and her team with the liquor... Why isn't her mother or your radar list of people to go against???

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone

Honestly Phlyer you don't know what is on my radar. I do however appreciate the non response to the questions asked and the claws and attack mode coming out.

Let's forget about the book altogether, the fact is underage drinking, drugging and sex with coaches is a FACT in this industry. Why is it that so many people are willing to let it be swept under the rug? Is it because it isn't your kid, or your gym or your athlete or your coach? Why can't there just be a discussion on this issue and what can be done about it?

I seriously doubt anyone would think it was ok if it was a teacher or school coach taking athletes or students to their homes and partying with them, so why is it ok because it is outside of a school setting. Why are statements like "teens will be teens" or some such thing even tolerated?

Why ever would you believe that the media would not be interested in this? Believe it or not there are journalists that do nothing but stories on kids/teens doing______ (pick your story).

I mean seriously, there were helicopters circling a family resort where the largest cheerleading competition was held. One covered by ESPN no less! Do you really think that there isn't any media out there that wouldn't like to hear more and see pictures and video of illegal/inappropriate behavior? How would your behavior change as a gym owner or a coach or an athlete if you thought that there was even a remote possibility that there were people walking around with hidden video camera's at different cheer events?

Forget the book, what are you as gym owners/coaches and parents going to do about this problem? Or is it just easier to pretend it doesn't exist?

We deal with situations that arise in our own gyms. I'm not going to get involved with a gym in New York that I heard had a few kids partying with a coach. That's not even plausible or effective. It doesn't exist at my gym. Our coaches aren't partying or hooking up with the kids, so it's a moot subject for us and we can't do anything about the gym in BFE Alabama that isn't doing enough to stop it at their gym. That's why everyone is frustrated with your generalized outrage. It's misplaced. If it's illegal, and it's happening at your gym or somewhere around you, call the police, and they'll deal with it accordingly. If the gym owner doesn't have a problem with it then say what you want to say using the appropriate channels, and don't become a paying customer.

PS--Not sure why this is embedded into your original comment.

A couple questions, who is doing something about it at Worlds? Everyone knows about the police involvement and the helicopters and that this has been a problem for years, but tell me, which gyms suffered consequences, which athletes for that behavior? Second question, why isn't this being addressed at the USASF level. Coaches come and go and even go from state to state, so while it can be addressed in a gym at a local level, if there is no database of people who should not be employed around children, how do you stop these people from going to the next town or state?

It isn't GENERALIZED outrage, it is a problem within the industry, not limited to one or two derelict gyms or coaches and it is sickening to think that "as long as it is happening in my gym, I don't care". Just because it isn't happening in your gym, doesn't mean it doesn't degrade the industry as a whole. Your answer is a cop out.

A couple questions, who is doing something about it at Worlds? Everyone knows about the police involvement and the helicopters and that this has been a problem for years, but tell me, which gyms suffered consequences, which athletes for that behavior? Second question, why isn't this being addressed at the USASF level. Coaches come and go and even go from state to state, so while it can be addressed in a gym at a local level, if there is no database of people who should not be employed around children, how do you stop these people from going to the next town or state?

It isn't GENERALIZED outrage, it is a problem within the industry, not limited to one or two derelict gyms or coaches and it is sickening to think that "as long as it is happening in my gym, I don't care". Just because it isn't happening in your gym, doesn't mean it doesn't degrade the industry as a whole. Your answer is a cop out.

If the illegal activity isn't being documented and charges aren't being pressed, you can't create a blacklist database via the USASF based on gossip and bogus books being written. That would set the USASF up for numerous legal ramifications. You can't force gym owners to run background checks, but I would say a good chunk of them do.
As far as the Worlds incident, were minors given out? Were there any tickets given to anyone for providing to minors? Gym owners probably have taken action against their athletes, but we're not privy to that information. These are illegal activities happening, I can't just go make citizens arrests across the US because SkyBlue doesn't like what's happening.
It's annoying that your argument is "Nobody cares, nobody wants to do anything", but the ideas you're presenting for the USASF would leave the USASF in hot water and aren't practical for the rest of us.

Back