All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was speaking in reference to the boys on TG/Cali Coed (as they seemed to have the greatest number of boy-transfers, and did historically). I'm also not necessarily talking in the first year out. What happens in the years after? How many stick around, how many are even still involved in cheer, etc.

Maybe I'm horrendously practical (hysterical, considering my profession), but to up and move for one year/two years for something you're not even going to stick with seems rather...rash, in this climate. Again, I understand families move/military situations (my family has a long military history, my cousin just moved to Washington)..but for something that all but ends after 19?
I am not so much against transfers as I am about all of the public service announcements we have been getting on who is cheering, who is cheering where, and who is "retiring" (puh-leeze on that last one). No dream is too big, and many kids have a "dream team". Some of these kids have a ridiculous amount of talent and don't live anywhere near a competitive program. How heartbreaking would it be to put blood, sweat and tears into something you love for years and have the skills but not be able to go to worlds or only go to worlds with no shot of making it to even semis because of where you live? These are the kids that I totally support chasing their dreams and turning them in to reality!

Until this year, many if not all of our out of town athletes were super seniors or out of high school already (Even this past season I can only think of a few who weren't). There's always a huge loss of athletes over summer. Some never show up, some realize it's not a fit for them, some can't handle the summer practices, and some get cut. There has always been a pretty big cut for coed (50+ people making the team initially), but this year more people paid attention to try out results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I mean with the increase in social media and all of that, tryout results and all this kind of stuff is a lot more easily accessed. I've always known TG to have a lot of out-own-town athletes, I've just wondered why no one has made such a stink about it like they have Cali.

And Smoed would be the ONLY team accommodating to an athlete that had interest in moving for cheer? Are there no other really talented teams that would consider putting them on their team? Perhaps because people think they are guaranteed a ring and cheerlebrity status if they're on that team with a web series?
That is definitely not what I was meaning to say, more and more gyms are starting to offer out-of-state kids a place. And I wouldn't just tryout for Smoed. I'm sure I could find a family and a team at any gym. Personally, though, Smoed is my dream team. Not because of the cheerlebrities, or fame, but honestly because of their work ethic. Sure, I'd love to win Worlds, but I really just want to see if I can handle that kind of pressure and conditioning. I know, I know, Smoed isn't the only team who conditions. And it seems kind of shallow, but I just really like Smoed. It's just the first team that I really saw, in depth, and that meant something to me....

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I am not so much against transfers as I am about all of the public service announcements we have been getting on who is cheering, who is cheering where, and who is "retiring" (puh-leeze on that last one). No dream is too big, and many kids have a "dream team". Some of these kids have a ridiculous amount of talent and don't live anywhere near a competitive program. How heartbreaking would it be to put blood, sweat and tears into something you love for years and have the skills but not be able to go to worlds or only go to worlds with no shot of making it to even semis because of where you live? These are the kids that I totally support chasing their dreams and turning them in to reality!
Yes! Thank you! This is what I was trying to say earlier.

With so many teams taking in more and more out of state athletes, IMO it seems like this is switching to a "Pro sports" view with gyms recruiting "the best" and athletes picking and choosing which gym to cheer on each year

Right but it isn't fair to brand everyone a gym hopper or be all sassy and passive aggressive like "good luck picking up your whole life and moving for cheer" as the reaction has been lately. I had to move to SC for my dad's job but I chose to not live with relatives and stay at my gym because I knew cheer was bigger in the south. I know one fairly well known athlete's father died a couple seasons ago, moved back to where she used to live, and some people threw a lot of shade when she wanted to continue cheering at a gym near her new home because they didn't even know the whole story and just based their opinion on her changing gyms. Sometimes there's things out of the kid's control or people should understand the whole situation before giving the side eye.
I agree that unless an individual has all the facts, they shouldn't be throwing shade. There are a myriad of reasons for a gym change. In the vast majority of those cases the reasons are justifiable. Athletes are the customers. They pay for gym services and like any other service industry, if you are not being adequately serviced you have the right to take your business elsewhere. But, you do have ethical issues at play here. You are an individual that is part of a team. There is an implied obligation to your team and an assumption of responsibility on the athletes part to also look at the team's best interest. All of these factors must be weighed in an athletes decision to move gyms. Or,when to move gyms.

So I honestly was a little tired of this conversation until I saw that Jenee's mom chimed in about this on twitter calling fierceboarders judgmental (which in itself is judgmental lol) but forgive me if I am wrong ... I feel that most people on here are actually more bothered by the publicity/announcements now than the actual moving? Yay or nay?

So I honestly was a little tired of this conversation until I saw that Jenee's mom chimed in about this on twitter calling fierceboarders judgmental (which in itself is judgmental lol) but forgive me if I am wrong ... I feel that most people on here are actually more bothered by the publicity/announcements now than the actual moving? Yay or nay?

...she is one though... :rolleyes:

If you're going to put yourself in the public eye than people will be judgmental.
Don't want the judgment? don't have public social media and don't be on an internet show.
*rolls eyes*

Back