All-Star Cheersport Day 2 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A short statement on Orange and the weekend. While every win is highly appreciated, the way the weekend went and how they came to the win was not preferable. They lost a member mid routine (and no matter what team or whoever anywhere... even my own biggest competition I NEVER wish an injury on anyway) in a very dramatic fashion. They had to go backstage, quickly work in a substitute, and then finish the routine while one of their members was in obvious pain. They came back, were able to finish the routine, and hit their pyramid and second stunt sequence with an obvious omission. From a scoring standpoint I do agree with the day 1 scores. Their overall difficulty was a good bit higher than the teams in the division (though the other teams are quite talented). They had a 3 point lead going into day 2. (know that a 3 point lead actually translates to a 9 point lead when you compare to deductions... all deductions are taken off before the average).

Day two they brought in a replacement who worked with them to learn the routine completely as fast as she could. When you break down the parts they still fairly outscored most of the division in both tumbling sections, baskets, and the first stunt section. You could tell there was a lot of adjustments they weren't comfortable with, but that is because they went through a lot and had a lot to handle. And, in all reality, they did not win day 2. They were certain parts of the scoresheet I am sure they were still the highest, but based on their final score you can see day 2 was definitely not their best. It isn't like their tumbling score went down because of their pyramid, and even though transitions weren't the best cause of changes they still jumped on time.

So mathematically speaking a lot of this makes sense. Cheersport scoresheet does NOT have a lot of movement from day 1 to day 2. I would say 90% of the time in all the divisions very few of the placements change from day 1 to day 2. Not because of some conspiracy, but because mathematically thats how it works out.

So, do I think Orange deserved to win? When you think about it scoresheet wise, yes I see how the judges came to their conclusion. I think everyone is focussed on the big picture of just one day, instead of seeing the forrest for the trees. The end of a long line of calculations and scoring they did deserve it.

And, remember, this isn't the way anyone wanted the weekend to go for them (or any team, we also had an athlete dislocate her knee just playing around doing a cartwheel). Injuries, basically, suck. While I like to win as much as anyone, I wouldn't trade an athlete getting hurt for a national/world championship.
I was hoping you would come on here and explain the scoresheet a little bit. Thank you!!! I did notice that not many of the placements moved at all which I find a bit odd, but i guess its another reason I want a universal score sheet...I guess we can still hope :) Good luck at NCA, I hope everything gets worked out.

i just was watching orange day 2 again and can i just say that dance is sooo hot!!!! the girl in the middle is so fierce!!!!

i love orange and i know they are amazing but cheer command is my family and they did an amazing job! they couldnt have done any bettter!! yes we are upset about the outcome of scores but im positive CCR will go out there at worlds and show cheersport how amazing they are and who they could of have representing them!!

"So mathematically speaking a lot of this makes sense. Cheersport scoresheet does NOT have a lot of movement from day 1 to day 2. I would say 90% of the time in all the divisions very few of the placements change from day 1 to day 2. Not because of some conspiracy, but because mathematically thats how it works out."
kingston
Our coach told us day 2 would not change. It was a little sad though for the kids when they were close (less than 3 points) away day 1 and they hit clean day 2 and the other team has a stunt come all the way down to the floor, a nasty stunt bobble and a tumble bust but they win anyway, take the jacket and a bid(which we already have). I love the team who won and believe that they are amazing I just don't see how they could have stayed on top after such a rough day 2. I hope people don't think I am criticizing cheersport or the team.

Cheersport scoring is comparative as opposed to NCA which is slightly compulsory. NCA, without defining exactly what does what, will guide you and tell you (lets take stunts for example) that you should have 3 elite entries / transitions in your Level 5 stunt sequence to score around a .8 ish. (that is not exact but a general idea). Cheersport, on the other hand, bases their score on what everyone else competes in the division. Team A's stunt is harder so Team A will get a higher stunt score (in Theory).

So the benefits of CHEERSPORTS scoresheet is that there they always have room to accommodate and adjust to the future. Because their system is not compulsory they can always score the greatest team in the universe correctly vs everyone else because giving out a perfect is completely fine in comparative scoring.

BUT

The issue with comparative scoring is that if the greatest team in the world goes early. If you have never seen teams before win a division and team A is competing first how do you know what you are looking at is the greatest stunt sequence in the world? Unless every judge follows every team all season you can't really know. So you can, technically, give an incorrect score comparatively to the first team because you don't have knowledge of how they fair against everyone else.

NCA is more compulsory because a certain amount of elements will get you in a certain difficulty range. And then how you perform those elements determines your execution score. This type of scoring is a bit more accurate but can produce (and does) ties. As well people who go over the top in a section (say a team does squad double ups) will top out stunts BUT get VERY little reward as compared to another team who does a stunt section that might be way easier, but meets their compulsory requirement. In this respect CHEERSPORT has a better scoresheet because if you are comparatively way better than everyone else in theory you can account for that.

While I don't buy into the conspiracy theory, the is a perfect example of why EP's should release all of the scoresheets. We should be able to see them ALL!!!!!
Completely agree. We dont need the comments but the ranking sheet should include each teams score from each section. It's hard to be better if u don't understand where u were outscored..

I need some help not really sure how one team placed over another. So if you know the cheersport scoring system and what to analyze for me(and have dartfish) let me know. I will pm u the names don't want to publicize.

No they were, they are at Cheersport and going to dallas

Maybe someone already talked about this but did anyone check out the comp they went to?? I am wondering if they are filming that Cheer Jersey show because it was a FunCheer comp, they were the only level 5 team there and it was a lot of rec and smaller gym teams. Looked like a filming set up to me (usually the big comps won't let reality cameras in).

I know what you mean. At my gym we aren't allowed to wear something from a competition like NCA if we are at Cheersport.

At our gym you are only allowed to wear Spirit gear, preferably warmup. The kids can wear their jackets for pictures and then if they change into street clothes. And heaven help the child that shows up with Uggs on...
The idea is you are there to compete and should look like a team. If kids show up wearing a Billy Bob Nationals jacket it throws off the whole look of the team.

At our gym you are only allowed to wear Spirit gear, preferably warmup. The kids can wear their jackets for pictures and then if they change into street clothes. And heaven help the child that shows up with Uggs on...
The idea is you are there to compete and should look like a team. If kids show up wearing a Billy Bob Nationals jacket it throws off the whole look of the team.
Hahahah omg dead. :p

Does anyone know if Brandon Steel will accept the At Large bid from Cheersport or go for a Higher Bid at NCA this weekend? Just wondering?

Just a small pet peeve about what I saw this weekend: athletes wearing championship tshirts from other competition company's like Jamfest. That's just rude.

Not sure I understand this??? rude??? to who??? Thanks would also be like wearing a NCA jacket or carrying a National Champion backpack don't you think??? Just asking??? Think athletes wear these because proud of accomplishments, or intimidation?? I have no problem with them showing their wins. Bet the wear there Cheersport Jackets to another competition.....

Actually, our gym has a strict rule about what you wear during a competition. You either wear your uniform or, in some cases, your team warm-up is acceptable. No other t-shirts (not even our gym's t-shirts) are allowed. Outside the competition venue (in the hotel, in competition-related functions) kids are very strongly encouraged to wear spirit wear.

The primary purpose of that is to promote team unity (and our gym) in a clean, uniform way. I can't imagine we're the only gym that has this rule.

Back