All-Star Cheersport Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In the name of rational discussion (and not just going off of what we 'feel') could we post an example of when a bunch of people moved and shouldnt have, a bunch of people didn't move but should have, and people being scored incorrectly (with videos)? Seems like all the examples were tweeted and videos abound far and wide (and lots of have dartfish accounts). I'd love to see good examples and break them down and discuss them.

Not to pick on this team (I truly admire that they went out and did the best they could without a flyer), but how do you go out on day 2 and only have half a pyramid (for all intense purposes) and still have the same score as day 1 when everyone was on the floor... Hayden Senior Black - Large Sr 4 Div 1. I was just really surprised that they maintained 2nd place and had virtually the same score as day 1.

In the name of rational discussion (and not just going off of what we 'feel') could we post an example of when a bunch of people moved and shouldnt have, a bunch of people didn't move but should have, and people being scored incorrectly (with videos)? Seems like all the examples were tweeted and videos abound far and wide (and lots of have dartfish accounts). I'd love to see good examples and break them down and discuss them.
Well, I guess to qualify mine I will say the big jumps in the division I'm talking about was large j4 and scores were really close in that division so big placement shifts might just reflect small score changes. I'm not annoyed or anything, it was just something of never seen and frankly as soon as our team dropped two stunts I quit paying attention to the rest of the division since we just submarined ourselves.

I think 12stepCheermom is talking about the Large J4 division. Rays were in 8th day 1 and ended up winning, as well as some serious reshuffling between the places (the most movement i've ever seen happen at cheersport.) Though, for reference, in the final placements teams 1-6 all scored a 76.something. it was that close.

Not to pick on this team (I truly admire that they went out and did the best they could without a flyer), but how do you go out on day 2 and only have half a pyramid (for all intense purposes) and still have the same score as day 1 when everyone was on the floor... Hayden Senior Black - Large Sr 4 Div 1. I was just really surprised that they maintained 2nd place and had virtually the same score as day 1.
Now I did hear about that. That was the division we went from 7 to 4 in (but we didn't have a chance after Saturdays performance issues). Heard some team patents complaining about that though.

Have I missed something and the term "rational discussion" can now be used in reference to the Fierce Board? ;)
Well, I guess to qualify mine I will say the big jumps in the division I'm talking about was large j4 and scores were really close in that division so big placement shifts might just reflect small score changes. I'm not annoyed or anything, it was just something of never seen and frankly as soon as our team dropped two stunts I quit paying attention to the rest of the division since we just submarined ourselves.

This place tends to have the best rational discussion... as well as the most irrational!

Can we get the pictures of the scoresheets and links to videos? I'd love to go through them.

This place tends to have the best rational discussion... as well as the most irrational!

Can we get the pictures of the scoresheets and links to videos? I'd love to go through them.
I've got our videos and score sheets, ill be happy to post something up tonight. Since the videos are in dart fish I don't think I'm putting anything out there that isn't public already anyway.

I think 12stepCheermom is talking about the Large J4 division. Rays were in 8th day 1 and ended up winning, as well as some serious reshuffling between the places (the most movement i've ever seen happen at cheersport.) Though, for reference, in the final placements teams 1-6 all scored a 76.something. it was that close.

Yeah my wife coaches the J4 at Rays. She told me they were in 8th place after day 1 (which sounds way out of it) but only by a point and a half ish. She told me they werent perfect and they missed some of the upper end ranges cause they ddin't have enough passes. For them personally I know they made adjustments to the routine and jumped up in some of the ranges (as they should). As for everyone else I didn't see them but I heard most didn't have a great day 2. When looking at it on paper it made sense, but gave the outward appearance of being a bigger jump than it really was.

The only problem I have with taking off for recording is that you can't control what other gyms do. Half the iPads in the air at cheersport I garuntee you were not from the gym currently on the stage. Also what if I wanted to sabotage a team? Grab a few of my friends and obnoxiously hold iPads up during my competitors performance and bam deduction. Especially at cheersport there was just to many people to tell what gym they were from and that could cause some unfair deductions.

You know, I never thought of that but that would really be horrible and is absolutely plausible.

Yep. You beat me to it ;)

BlueCat you said it perfectly - exactly what i have been thinking.
And i think the definite word to use for cheersport results....unpredictable.

I watched the videos on Dartfish, they scored 77.85 on Day 1 putting them in 2nd to Frost and their final score was 77.75 (so their day 2 score was 77.65). They were obviously missing a flyer on day 2, the stunt group (3 bases) marked the stunts, which I figure not a real impact with 1 less on the floor, 1 less stunt group maxes out. But half the pyramid was not really there since they didn't fill that spot and that is where I thought the score would kill them.

Yeah my wife coaches the J4 at Rays. She told me they were in 8th place after day 1 (which sounds way out of it) but only by a point and a half ish. She told me they werent perfect and they missed some of the upper end ranges cause they ddin't have enough passes. For them personally I know they made adjustments to the routine and jumped up in some of the ranges (as they should). As for everyone else I didn't see them but I heard most didn't have a great day 2. When looking at it on paper it made sense, but gave the outward appearance of being a bigger jump than it really was.
We were in 7th with the exact same issues. So they did the same thing and added passes backstage and two show and gos to pyro. Which was all good...

Except when you drop two stunts that usually hit. And one of your existing passes omits.

Le sigh.

Well done to the rays for taking the advantage. It was there for everyone... They just cashed in.

We were in 7th with the exact same issues. So they did the same thing and added passes backstage and two show and gos to pyro. Which was all good...

Except when you drop two stunts that usually hit. And one of your existing passes omits.

Le sigh.

Well done to the rays for taking the advantage. It was there for everyone... They just cashed in.

I am not defending any division or what happened (because in all scoring as BlueCat has said they find errors at all competitions all the time... always check your scoresheets!) but from everything I have watched CHEERSPORT was WAY more consistent this year. What hasn't changed is people's bias to the old scoresheet. It was quite a bit unpredictable. But in everything I have seen and watched nothing turned out incredibly off. I am sure we will be able to find something wrong though looking hard enough. I think it will take a few years for people's feeling of unpredictability to go away, but it will fade.

I also base it off how well I think Rays does with consistency. Rays Marietta (I am not as familiar with John's Creek so I cannot speak about them) performed this weekend very well and was rewarded with a percentage I think they will match at NCA. So if the end results match what I think they will see at NCA (give some here take some there) then I would consider that pretty consistent.

I am not defending any division or what happened (because in all scoring as BlueCat has said they find errors at all competitions all the time... always check your scoresheets!) but from everything I have watched CHEERSPORT was WAY more consistent this year. What hasn't changed is people's bias to the old scoresheet. It was quite a bit unpredictable. But in everything I have seen and watched nothing turned out incredibly off. I am sure we will be able to find something wrong though looking hard enough. I think it will take a few years for people's feeling of unpredictability to go away, but it will fade.

I also base it off how well I think Rays does with consistency. Rays Marietta (I am not as familiar with John's Creek so I cannot speak about them) performed this weekend very well and was rewarded with a percentage I think they will match at NCA. So if the end results match what I think they will see at NCA (give some here take some there) then I would consider that pretty consistent.
I'm curious to see how the CHEERSPORT enrollment number will fluctuate. I think some will now go to CS because they are basically using NCA's scoring system. I think some will NOT go CS because they are now owned by Varsity.

Back