All-Star Coaches Conduct

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To clarify and avoid sounding Puritan:

I do not drink on competition weekends, BUT once I am off the clock, I WOULD like to do something other than sit and look at kids. So I might go to a bar to meet up with some other coaches from other programs, especially ones I do not see all the time.)

I find bigger issues with MOMS drinking than coaches.

Miss Drunky McParent, when I'm "off duty" and ready to leave the arena, I need you to be ready to PARENT.

I have had to take kids back to my hotel room after day 1 WITH ME (after a rather late performance time) because mom left early to go to another hotel bar and I didn't know it (these were Y2 kids, not the "you're free to roam" age group.)

I got her daughter ready for Day 2 myself because I did not see her until after we competed on day 2.
I once lost a parent and my assistant coach. They disappeared around midnight, the dad showed up sometime early morning hr and the assistant coach was last seen around 4 am looking for a room. No one saw them until around 1 pm that day. No one knows where he slept.

When I was younger I did baton twirling and for travel comps all the dads would pitch in $20 and book an extra room so they could drink and play cards in peace. It worked out perfectly because we weren't bothering them and they weren't loud and keeping us up all night. The running joke was that they'd all take their bibles from the rooms to the end of the hall for "bible study." It's an easy solution for the coaches or parents who'd rather avoid the hotel bar and the judgment that often goes with it.

I don't really care if parents drink, but as a mother myself, I'm side eyeing anyone who does not make arrangements for their cheerleader before they get started.

Ex: My hotel room is not the babysitting room. Do not assume that I will be there all night to watch kids because you want to drink.

And if you are going to drink, be advised that my sole responsibility is not to get your child ready because you're hungover. (My Y2 kids still needed help with all of that

Thanks for the opinions. How about if I changed it and it was say a bigger event. Girls and coaches arrive on Friday. Opinions on coaches day drinking at hotel in public areas of hotel? Again, just looking for discussion.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Thanks for the opinions. How about if I changed it and it was say a bigger event. Girls and coaches arrive on Friday. Opinions on coaches day drinking at hotel in public areas of hotel? Again, just looking for discussion.

As long as they are of age and not getting drunk, then I don't see an issue. One drink doesn't hurt. But if they are supposed to be responsible for the kids at some point that day, no drinking til after that's done.

gotta go with as long as responsible and sober when they are in charge not a huge issue. I have shared drinks with some coaches at Worlds and the only ones that turned me off were the ones who drank too much, but then again they were done for the weekend and kids were all off with their friends and families having fun.

Having trouble wording this so read it with an open mind. Not trying to be rude which for some reason is how it sounds to me

If this is a scenario you encountered and are not happy or don't agree with the gyms philosophy on this I would recommend you take a look around your area and see if there is a gym that holds more to your values and consider them as a future option

This is said mostly tongue in cheek: having seen some of the nutty parents and their offspring, I'm surprised coaches don't drink MORE! Or maybe that's the team reps that should drink more... :help:

But I digress. I don't have a problem with a coach drinking a little in their off time. If they get drunk and make a scene or are hungover on Day 2 of a comp, I would have a problem with that.

Two different levels of drinking.

Perfectly fine:
- of age, adults enjoying some much needed down time after working all day (you know - the same thing everyone does on a business trip, which is what a competition is for coaches).
- as long as there is no more coaching for the day, day drinking is OK by me (like a Friday arrival, no practice scheduled, comp is Saturday)

NOT fine:
- missing awards because you're at the bar already (this applies to coaches and parents, but really... Coaches and gym owners, I'm gonna need you to hold out long enough to see if the kids place and to get our score sheets)
- running up and down the hotel hallways at midnight in a bra and feather boa, knocking on doors, yelling "SLEEP CHECK! IS EVERYONE IN BED? COMPETITION TOMORROW!" (and then sending out an email telling everyone we have to find a new hotel for the next comp in that city because we're now banned due to OUR behavior)

So.... As with everything in life, there are people who can handle doing things appropriately, and people who can't. Just depends on the who, what, when, where, and how. (not so much why - we know why lol)

Piggybacking off @Just-a-Mom ....People go on business trips ALL the time and after a long day of meetings or conferences, they have themselves a few drinks at the hotel bar. Nobody cares. They're obviously not (or shouldn't be :) ) drinking during the day when they're at these meetings and have to be professional and responsible....I don't see the difference when it comes to coaches at a competition. Yes, your "business trip" involves children, but as long as you act like a responsible adult while with them, I don't see the harm.

Coaches just shouldn't be drinking with parents……There needs to be a separation there. Imagine being the parent that can't drink….It has to be hard for them.

We were at a competition. My husband and I were at one of the hotels bars having a few drinks while the team practiced. The competition judges were at a table next to us getting plowed.
Ohh don't even get me started about this. It happened several years ago One particular judge was seen out totally wasted til all hours if the night. Next day in the morning we had the great experience of having to deal with him on a legality issue. Could still smell the alcohol on him and he was in a rotten mood.

Back