All-Star Coaches Conduct

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We were at a competition. My husband and I were at one of the hotels bars having a few drinks while the team practiced. The competition judges were at a table next to us getting plowed.
Explains some of the judging I have seen in my career!:rolleyes:

If a coach is responsible for a team, they should b able to control the partying. Many years back my son' s football team for pop warner made it to Disney. They were undefeated, very low points were scored against them thru the season. They should of won, or had a good chance to do so. The coaches and parents looked at it as spring break! Drinking, fooling around between coaches and moms. It was sickening that they lost by a few pts the first day. The kids were heartbroken. I feel the influence of the coaches mind not being on football and more on partying affected the boys. They do not realize what the kids see them doing and sometimes affects their performance.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If a coach is responsible for a team, they should b able to control the partying. Many years back my son' s football team for pop warner made it to Disney. They were undefeated, very low points were scored against them thru the season. They should of won, or had a good chance to do so. The coaches and parents looked at it as spring break! Drinking, fooling around between coaches and moms. It was sickening that they lost by a few pts the first day. The kids were heartbroken. I feel the influence of the coaches mind not being on football and more on partying affected the boys. They do not realize what the kids see them doing and sometimes affects their performance.

I feel bad for the team and yes, that behavior is over the line. Especially if any of those adults were married.

Pretending to be a parent since 1993

I wish parents understood this. I've had parents I completely adore and respect screw up their kids day 2 because they got sloppy drunk in the hotel bar. Their kids had awful performances and then they wanted me to explain why? Well mom, it was because your 10 year old kid was up past midnight crying in the lobby because she's been watching you get wasted and falling over tables. Then you woke up late and had to throw her uniform on her with no time to fix her hair and make up and race her to the comp still in your pajamas so....idk but that may have had something to do with why she busted her opening front walk over and fell out of her log roll in the basket and then dropped her stretch leg too early in the pyramid. Maybe. Because usually she's perfect onstage so I am just thinking those extenuating circumstances may have affected her.

As for coaches drinking at competitions, as long as it's responsible, legal and has no effect whatsoever on athletes, parents or their ability to do their job then it's fine.

I have to agree with Cupie on the parents' play a bigger role in their child/children preparedness for competition... What I noticed, most children do not spend that much time with the coaches outside of practice, warm ups before and during competitions, so the opportunity to see the coaches in a compromising way is limited.... However, the parent/parents are greatly instrumental in their child/children being competition ready...When our children are not competing, practicing, etc... They are in our faces watching and learning from us...:fro:

Last edited:
I have to agree with Cupie on the parents' play a bigger role in their child/children preparedness for competition... What I noticed, most the children do not spend that much time with the coaches outside of practice, warm ups before and during competitions, so the opportunity to see the coaches in a compromising way is limited.... However, the parent/parents are greatly instrumental in their child/children being competition ready...When our children are not competing, practicing, etc... They are in our faces watching and learning from us...:fro:

YES.

Example: I've had moms look at ME when their child's stunt drops.

However, she was the one who allowed her child to stay up until 1 AM & SWIM when I said NO SWIMMING and early bedtime.

I'm a coach. I am not Jesus. Which means I'm not omnipotent.

When I'm not around at a comp, you need to take some responsibility.

Last edited:
YES.

Example: I've had moms look at ME when their child's stunt drops.

However, she was the one who allowed her child to stay up until 1 AM & SWIM when I said NO SWIMMING and early bedtime.

I'm a coach. I am not Jesus. Which means I'm not ominpotent.

We need to be friends

YES
I'm a coach. I am not Jesus. Which means I'm not ominpotent.

I agree with this statement 100%,,, I know the coaches on my cp's team send explicit instructions on curfew and about feeding our children meals, etc... But they know it is the parent with the final say and word on the matter... The coaches can only suggest, but it is the parent who must follow the instruction given, especially when the child is on Mini or Youth teams... But when this child is on a Junior and Senior teams maybe there is a shift in allegiance and that teenager might be affected by a coach's inappropriate action ...just saying;)

We were at a competition. My husband and I were at one of the hotels bars having a few drinks while the team practiced. The competition judges were at a table next to us getting plowed.

We always see gymnastics judges at the bar the night before the competition... I don't know why they wouldn't wait until their judging is done.

Back