High School Codes Of Conduct? Just Because?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Playing the goody too shoes, out of HS Devil's advocate.

It sounds like your daughter's teammates are being HS students. If my district pulled every student who did some less than savory activities, we wouldn't have any sports teams. Or any activities.

Parents in our district would be LIVID if kids got in trouble for things they did outside of school, that weren't connected to school. However, most kids don't post anything crazy on social media, because the school follows a lot of our athletes.
My HS coach is on social media now, as are most the major admins so that has been a big deterrent. The school tried to implement a policy that athletes couldn't be in uniform in their Twitter icon, but that didn't go over well. Cheer had standards, where we couldn't get in any Twitter arguments, and had to post PC photos. A big thing in my district is posting embarrassing pictures of players/cheerleaders before major games. Some teammates had inappropriate photos posted and my coach sent an email to pull them. We wouldn't dare post a picture in bad taste in cheer gear. We had a huge cyberbullying incident one year and it pulled several team members. We get bashed by rivals but we are not allowed to respond.

I'm sure the coaches know who is doing want outside of practice, but unless it interferes with the team, they stay out of it. Those rules are no-brainers. If anything they are in place so that when there is a mess, a coach can remove an athlete without argument. It sounds terrible but it's the reality.

We have a very strict contract/code of conduct and social media policy. I too have stated in my contract...you "block" or create a "fake" account...we have a meeting with the cheerleader. We make each cheerleader initial each statement of our policy with a parent or guardian...stating that they agree to and understand the statement... Statements like: because they are posting on social media a "PUBLIC FORUM" it is not "PRIVATE" and it is therefore a direct representation of the squad as they continue to participate as a squad member. They can chose not to initial it...we make it very clear...not to sign or initial any statements that they do NOT agree to...
Everyone, including parents sign and initial, and when something comes up, we pull it out, and for every violation...we have documentation that they were contracted by THEIR FREE WILL to abide to our policies. Doesn't hurt to bring up that nobody pulled them by the hair and drug them into the gym for tryouts. Cheer was a choice, and with that comes a level of publicity. People know who they are. everything these kids do is magnified. So I don't want to hear the..."Well the football players cuss all the time, why can't we..." song and dance...
or "everyone picks on the cheerleaders and expects us to be perfect"...
darn straight...you're not just an athlete...you're better- you're an athlete who also happens to support other Athletes, so suck it up Snowflake!
p.s. by "cussing"...I had an incident where a kid cussed another kid out on the sideline in uniform, in front of the crowd on homecoming...unacceptable-letting the SH word fly because a stunt came down wrong isn't what I'm talking about here. Same with a simple retweet with an accessional profanity as long as it isn't directed toward anyone.

Last edited:
Do any schools actually inforce all those codes of conduct that the cheerleaders agree too? My daughter has now watched videos of 7 cheerleaders violating every single one of them, including a captain! A lot of them are on public social media and the kids don't seem to be attempting to hide them.

I know that high school age kids are not perfect. I know that this is the age that a lot of them are trying new things and getting into trouble. I am just having a hard time thinking about sending my kid away to camp for 4 days with some of these girls who have been non stop drunk and high and obviously don't like to follow the rules!

I feel like I am watching a Lifetime movie! I'm frustrated that my daughter is busting her butt while other girls are making the school and the cheer team look bad.

New staff and young coaches also makes me think that I would only put a red X on my kids back if I said anything.

Anybody have something similiar going on at their school?

Unfortunately a lot of girls on high school teams only want the uniform bc they think theyll be popular, so many girls on my team act out too. Like at our winter dance 2 of the girls on my team literally pulled out a canister of alcohol and just started drinking and passing it around to others mind you this was outside while we were waiting in line. There are videos of them following fights in uniform, smoking, at parties and omg their social media accounts. I get being a teen and all but when you represent a school you cant act like that.

Sadly it seems things like this happen everywhere and coaches dont really seem to notice

I've honestly found that programs that set high expectations and enforce them typically don't attract the hot mess kids. If you have high expectations, generally the kids will rise to them. Once you weed out the bad apples, word gets out that you don't put up with the BS. Bad apple Anna decides to go to allstars instead where they don't care if she posts her drunk party pics every weekend. Yes Anna may have a full, but it's not worth it to ruin the image of the squad, create drama, and send the message to the others that the behavior is tolerated. When you take over a program, it takes some time to get them all on board. Every exception you make will set back your progress. This of course isn't possible if you have administration that doesn't back or support you. If the kids want to cheer bad enough, then keeping their self in check and being a role model is something that they realize is part of the "job."

I've honestly found that programs that set high expectations and enforce them typically don't attract the hot mess kids. If you have high expectations, generally the kids will rise to them. Once you weed out the bad apples, word gets out that you don't put up with the BS. Bad apple Anna decides to go to allstars instead where they don't care if she posts her drunk party pics every weekend. Yes Anna may have a full, but it's not worth it to ruin the image of the squad, create drama, and send the message to the others that the behavior is tolerated. When you take over a program, it takes some time to get them all on board. Every exception you make will set back your progress. This of course isn't possible if you have administration that doesn't back or support you. If the kids want to cheer bad enough, then keeping their self in check and being a role model is something that they realize is part of the "job."

This x 1000

Zero problems in my 3 years with this current program.

There is always a handful that are doing it for the "skirt" but I wouldn't say where I coach all of the cheerleaders are popular... some of the kids that do cheerleading are, but while I have a decent sized and talented program, they get little respect from school. They are definitely gaining respect, but it's not "typical" cheerleaders = popularity. And if you want to be popular, you need to join the dance team.

There is always a handful that are doing it for the "skirt" but I wouldn't say where I coach all of the cheerleaders are popular... some of the kids that do cheerleading are, but while I have a decent sized and talented program, they get little respect from school. They are definitely gaining respect, but it's not "typical" cheerleaders = popularity. And if you want to be popular, you need to join the dance team.

LOL as much as I love Taylor Swift the 'she's cheer captain but I'm in the bleachers line' always makes me giggle because I WAS cheer captain and was notoriously single. No one at my school did it for 'popularity' but I would be wrong if I said that most the girls on my team weren't well known, partly because our team was so small and were involved in other school activities (I was class VP, my teammates played other sports/active in the community). Essentially the more active you are cheer or not, you're popular. I'm 2 years out of school and people still know me as a cheerleader for my HS.

Which makes it even harder to be reckless. Sally Nobody probably can get drunk and be problematic but she will probably be spared while Susie Popular will be punished to the full extent. I had a teammate who was removed by our AD for a cyberbullying incident-she was very outspoken and had a reputation in the school. But the following year, a girl on JV was at the center of sexting scandal and no one made a move to cut her. I'm sure no one knew she cheered lol.

By high school student standards, my athletes are "the cool kids." 90% of Homecoming Court. Most of Student Council. You get the idea.

So we get our fair share of girls who are in it for that.

They come to one open workout or one day of clinics.

They never come back.

The fact that there is minimal "jump up and down and look cute" usually scares them off.

Heck, they don't even make it through the run/conditioning. Shame. lol.

By high school student standards, my athletes are "the cool kids." 90% of Homecoming Court. Most of Student Council. You get the idea.

They never come back.

The fact that there is minimal "jump up and down and look cute" usually scares them off.

I have not had a single cheerleader on homecoming court in 2 years. There may be one this year coming. We have had some well liked student council members, but honestly, they are just kids doing an activity they like... I'm thankful MOST aren't stereotypical. I don't run a program that kids just come to wear skirts. They work hard, its not cheap, and those who are there for status alone quit.. example, someone who was varsity game, but JV competition due to skillset decided it wasn't for her. I think she was embarrassed to even have a JV uniform.

I have not had a single cheerleader on homecoming court in 2 years. There may be one this year coming. We have had some well liked student council members, but honestly, they are just kids doing an activity they like... I'm thankful MOST aren't stereotypical. I don't run a program that kids just come to wear skirts. They work hard, its not cheap, and those who are there for status alone quit.. example, someone who was varsity game, but JV competition due to skillset decided it wasn't for her. I think she was embarrassed to even have a JV uniform.

Oh for sure. My kids definitely aren't in it for the status, it just tends to come with it for many of them. They're just kids doing the thing they like.

And honestly, those who come to cheer for status aren't making it. Why? Because they typically are just seeing a cute skirt, not the fact that every girl on the team has a standing or running tuck. This is not the place for you if you're looking to be cute and do a couple cartwheels. They typically see that when I start talking requirements.

Also, I have some who are still quite "below the radar" as far as school popularity goes. As in, they cheer, go to school, sit with their non-cheer friends, and don't do much else. But for those who have cheered all 4 years or since 6th grade, there's a level of "yeah I know her, she cheers" that goes with it.

They never come back.

THIS! I weed a lot out by making running the very first thing we do every day at tryouts. I do it to weed some out, but I also do it so they know what they're getting into. We run every day, so welcome to it!

Oh for sure. My kids definitely aren't in it for the status, it just tends to come with it for many of them. They're just kids doing the thing they like.

And honestly, those who come to cheer for status aren't making it. Why? Because they typically are just seeing a cute skirt, not the fact that every girl on the team has a standing or running tuck. This is not the place for you if you're looking to be cute and do a couple cartwheels. They typically see that when I start talking requirements.

I found at my school that girls would come because they wanted to be cheerleaders because they were well known, went to the games, close to the guys on the sports team. But many of them were shocked when they saw that talent was a part of the deal.

Sure, most of us were well known but we worked so hard. We weren't just shaking poms on the sidelines, we were tumbling and stunting. In fact it made more people respect us as a sport because we had our friends supporting us. Our personalities made it easy to interact with fans at games, and really made people want to root for us.

Back