College Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 3, 2015
Okay, so I'm a total newbie when it comes to cheer (esp. College) and I have a couple q's.
First, whats the diff. Between NCA and UCA style? When you are trying out for a team, do you have to be committed to the school(as in, do you need to be definite in going there in the fall?) What if you tryout for two teams, and get in both?
Ok those are all the questions lol. Sorry there are so many![emoji28]

It wouldn't hurt to check out the College section here, that can have some really good advice. But to answer your questions...
The easiest way to see the difference between NCA and UCA schools are to watch NCA and UCA videos! But UCA is much more traditional cheer leading. You have to have strong game day skills to make a UCA team. In general, UCA teams focus much more on clean, solid skills and less flashy-ness/choreography. Plus, there's a cheer in the middle of the routine and teams need to submit a crowdleading video that counts for part of their score. Plus, only all-girl teams have to do a dance section in the routine.
NCA is much more all star-ish. You perform a 45 second cheer on day one only, and the style of the cheer is completely different than UCA cheers. There is usually a lot more flashy skills and choreography. I suggest watching Oklahoma State Large Coed at NCA and Alabama Large Coed at UCA, they both won at their respective competitions and a good way to see the differences.
Most schools do not need you to be committed to try out, it isn't uncommon for people to pick schools based on whether they make the cheer team or not (though it's not usually advised!) From what I've seen, most schools just require proof of admission or enrollment, like a student ID. So if you make both teams, then hey lucky you, but it's not like you're committed to two schools, but you'll probably have to make a commitment to attend one school quickly because most teams practice over the summer to prep for camps!
Hope this helps!

What @Ems has posted is all correct. However, some colleges require deposits and/or commitments by May 1, and several colleges have tryouts just after that date, so if you were looking to try out for more than one team whose tryout date is after the deposit deadline, you would need to make deposits at both colleges and they may not be refundable.

I know my school doesn't allow incoming students to try out in person due to liability reasons. They either have to submit a video tryout or wait until the fall. All schools are different. Definitely get in touch with coaches of schools you're interested in. They're usually more than happy to help answer any questions and can explain how they're program works. A lot of it has to do with the athletic department at the school as well which, is what makes each team unique.

Great questions! All very important if you're going to cheer in college. I cheered at a Division I school in Indiana and my experience was amazing, but it all happened because some amazing people lead me in the right direction. NCA and UCA are both great organizations and both prominent leaders in the sport of cheerleading. In my opinion, NCA tends to be much more traditional, while UCA tends to integrate new trends and customs. As for tryouts, you don't have to be committed. I currently coach at a DI school in Illinois and we understand that you're still making important decisions come tryout season. If your potential coaches can help answer questions to make the decision easier (if you're choosing between more than one school) by all means, ask away! If you try out for two teams and you get in both 1) at the same school, as in you made both All-Girl and Coed, typically you get your preference or 2) two different schools, you should certainly choose the school better suited for your career choice. Good luck and go get em!!

Great questions! All very important if you're going to cheer in college. I cheered at a Division I school in Indiana and my experience was amazing, but it all happened because some amazing people lead me in the right direction. NCA and UCA are both great organizations and both prominent leaders in the sport of cheerleading. In my opinion, NCA tends to be much more traditional, while UCA tends to integrate new trends and customs. As for tryouts, you don't have to be committed. I currently coach at a DI school in Illinois and we understand that you're still making important decisions come tryout season. If your potential coaches can help answer questions to make the decision easier (if you're choosing between more than one school) by all means, ask away! If you try out for two teams and you get in both 1) at the same school, as in you made both All-Girl and Coed, typically you get your preference or 2) two different schools, you should certainly choose the school better suited for your career choice. Good luck and go get em!!
You were... one of them? (Indiana University at Bloomington Crimson Squad?)

Okay, so I'm a total newbie when it comes to cheer (esp. College) and I have a couple q's.
First, whats the diff. Between NCA and UCA style? When you are trying out for a team, do you have to be committed to the school(as in, do you need to be definite in going there in the fall?) What if you tryout for two teams, and get in both?
Ok those are all the questions lol. Sorry there are so many![emoji28]
I cheered in college. And it depends on where you go what type of competitions or style they will more likely use. NCA is more flashy (allstarish) and UCA is very clean and college like. But both are great all depends on your program. I had scholarships to cheer and I ended up not taking any of them because I wanted to cheer at FSU considering its my favorite school. But I had friends who tried out at multiple teams and it's fine you just have to let them know if you no longer want to cheer asap. Because you obviously can't cheer both places lol I hope that helps

Other way around, right? Unless I've missed something major!

I cheered in college. And it depends on where you go what type of competitions or style they will more likely use. NCA is more flashy (allstarish) and UCA is very clean and college like. But both are great all depends on your program. I had scholarships to cheer and I ended up not taking any of them because I wanted to cheer at FSU considering its my favorite school. But I had friends who tried out at multiple teams and it's fine you just have to let them know if you no longer want to cheer asap. Because you obviously can't cheer both places lol I hope that helps
Do mind me asking what schools gave you scholarship offers and what type of scholarships they were? They are hard to come by!

Other way around, right? Unless I've missed something major!

As a (former [emoji22]) NCA staffer, I thought that we were fairly progressive and always looking to innovate. I have always seen UCA as more "traditional", which I happen to really enjoy as my high school was a UCA school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back