College College Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
This may have been asked before if it has can you link me to it. What I want to know is roughly how many college cheer programs are considered a sport by athletics at their school? Also is it common to not be considered a sport

We are considered a sport on our campus and conference. We are and emerging sport in the NAIA and if you go to CheerDance it has all the info you need on it about our collegiate division.

I am also from an NAIA school we are currently not considered a sport. Is your team all-girl or coed?

we are not considered a sport at my school. big reason, probably the only reason why we can't do stunt... they don't want to recognize us as a sport. biggest reason for that? i'm sure its funding. we get absolutely no money from the university for our program.

we are not considered a sport at my school. big reason, probably the only reason why we can't do stunt... they don't want to recognize us as a sport. biggest reason for that? i'm sure its funding. we get absolutely no money from the university for our program.

ok, we are totally confused...when you go to collegestunt.org and you click on videos..first you see the video for high school stunt. then the video plays for 2012 stunt. slippery rock is one of the team names they flash across the screen....????

This may have been asked before if it has can you link me to it. What I want to know is roughly how many college cheer programs are considered a sport by athletics at their school? Also is it common to not be considered a sport

Do you mean schools where they actually receive scholarships or schools that just give funding to the team? I believe all of the NCATA teams are considered Varsity sports at their University and are under scholarship. The STUNT schools may be looked at as sports by their University but I don't think many of them give scholarships or are considered actual Varsity sports by the school.

I am also from an NAIA school we are currently not considered a sport. Is your team all-girl or coed?
We are a Coed team but the NAIA is still in the emerging status. Our college views cheer as a sport and the entire NAIA cheer sport structure is being developed by our conference cheer tournament. They are looking at basing the sport status off of STUNT. This does not benefit us since we are Coed. Again this is all talks right now. They have also looked at the NCATA version. If the NAIA goes this route we hope to add an all girl or STUNT team in the near future. Our scholarship structure is already set up similar to other athletic teams and we are funded by the school.

Your AD has to declare your team Varsity status as well.

ok, we are totally confused...when you go to collegestunt.org and you click on videos..first you see the video for high school stunt. then the video plays for 2012 stunt. slippery rock is one of the team names they flash across the screen....????
ShoWStoppeR can you help us? We are trying to figure out if Slippery Rock is particicpating in STUNT, we are sending out college applications and are trying to narrow down potential choices/fit. Thanks!

We are a Coed team but the NAIA is still in the emerging status. Our college views cheer as a sport and the entire NAIA cheer sport structure is being developed by our conference cheer tournament. They are looking at basing the sport status off of STUNT. This does not benefit us since we are Coed. Again this is all talks right now. They have also looked at the NCATA version. If the NAIA goes this route we hope to add an all girl or STUNT team in the near future. Our scholarship structure is already set up similar to other athletic teams and we are funded by the school.

I am also from an NAIA school. I specifically asked what would happen to the coed teams and the dance teams if STUNT is the chosen format for NAIA. The person I talked to said they are working on developing a form of STUNT for coed and dance.

I am also from an NAIA school. I specifically asked what would happen to the coed teams and the dance teams if STUNT is the chosen format for NAIA. The person I talked to said they are working on developing a form of STUNT for coed and dance.
I am in conference calls almost weekly with the NAIA, NCA, and numerous NAIA cheer coaches and this is not in the talks on our end yet. We are still looking at making the STUNT option a sport for the all girl component. The issue a lot of coaches are having is the cost of operating the team. This is a huge expense for smaller schools.

All Universities have Athletic Websites. You should be able to go to the athletic websites and click on Women's Sports. If you do not see the sport on the site, you can easily e-mail or call the Sports Information Director (SID) and make an inquiry. Or contact the Senior Women's Administrator of Athletics (SWA), Dean of Admissions, or even Public Relations. Let them know you have seen their University in a video and would like information. I am sure someone in one of these departments will be able to help.

Some sports have club status.This information as well can be found on the University website, and if not on the athletic site...there usually is a search bar. While club status is different than Varsity status, in most cases they do receive varied forms of support from their University.

probably because we did it last year. we did a "tournament" last minute to be the last team to like support their petition or whatever to help make it official and what not. yeah, i totally sound like i know what i'm saying right now lol but yes, we are up there because we did participate last year and planned on doing it again this year until we found out we won't be allowed to.

I am in conference calls almost weekly with the NAIA, NCA, and numerous NAIA cheer coaches and this is not in the talks on our end yet. We are still looking at making the STUNT option a sport for the all girl component. The issue a lot of coaches are having is the cost of operating the team. This is a huge expense for smaller schools.
We are probably in those conference calls together (This Tuesday?). I had a discussion with my athletic director about the future of competitive cheer and if we might transition to STUNT, so I went back and asked specifically about coed and dance.

probably because we did it last year. we did a "tournament" last minute to be the last team to like support their petition or whatever to help make it official and what not. yeah, i totally sound like i know what i'm saying right now lol but yes, we are up there because we did participate last year and planned on doing it again this year until we found out we won't be allowed to.

Thank you for being helpful! Weeding through all of the college cheer stuff is quite the project, and receiving return phone calls/ responses to emails from a few programs has been...uh...challenging (NOT Slippery Rock). We were excited to see Slippery Rock on the video, and then I remembered that you said they decided NO. I figured since you offered to give more information, I would ask you directly...thinking maybe I was not the only one confused :)

Yeah I realize that the AD has to declare it as a sport.

Is there anywhere to view this type of information that you are talking about in these calls. I find the NAIA website unhelpful. Also do you know if the NAIA numbers are dwindling in terms of numbers if schools with some schools transitioning to D2?

Latest posts

Back