OT College

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
The class of 2011 will soon graduate...which means i have MANY questions!

I will be graduating this year...and have two colleges in mind. UT Arlington & Orange Coast in California

I have always wanted to go to school in California, ALWAYS. But thats a BIGGG move. If you have moved out of state, please post and let me know how you liked it? Im not nervous about being on my own...I guess im more nervous at leaving everything in Texas behind. & Plus if I stay in texas if have more of a chance to attend each cheer competition i want to next year...since Tx is RIGHT in the middle of the country.

Also at UT arlington I have a choice to live in a dorm or in a apartment...would it be smarted to live a year in a dorm then move into an appartment? And when should i decide to move into my own space?!?! Just thinking about college is starting to stress me outtt....

First of all, good luck with where ever you decide to go! College is so much fun and such a fantastic experience (plus you learn).

As a student from MD that goes to school in NJ, I can tell you that going out of state is great. I live 3 hours away though, where as California is much farther from Texas. Just realize that you probably won't be able to go home for anything other than long breaks. If you like being at home, you might miss it. Also, make sure that if you go away, you go to a school where lots of other people are from far away. It sometimes stinks to be the only kid from far away because everyone else goes home

First of all, good luck with where ever you decide to go! College is so much fun and such a fantastic experience (plus you learn).

As a student from MD that goes to school in NJ, I can tell you that going out of state is great. I live 3 hours away though, where as California is much farther from Texas. Just realize that you probably won't be able to go home for anything other than long breaks. If you like being at home, you might miss it. Also, make sure that if you go away, you go to a school where lots of other people are from far away. It sometimes stinks to be the only kid from far away because everyone else goes home

Thankyou!! You made some great points that i honestly havent even thought about! Thanks so much!! :)

The class of 2011 will soon graduate...which means i have MANY questions!

I will be graduating this year...and have two colleges in mind. UT Arlington & Orange Coast in California

I have always wanted to go to school in California, ALWAYS. But thats a BIGGG move. If you have moved out of state, please post and let me know how you liked it? Im not nervous about being on my own...I guess im more nervous at leaving everything in Texas behind. & Plus if I stay in texas if have more of a chance to attend each cheer competition i want to next year...since Tx is RIGHT in the middle of the country.

Also at UT arlington I have a choice to live in a dorm or in a apartment...would it be smarted to live a year in a dorm then move into an appartment? And when should i decide to move into my own space?!?! Just thinking about college is starting to stress me outtt....

I think you're better off in the dorms for your first year. It's easier to make friends that way and you're more involved in the whole college experience, which is really important when you're new. I didn't move into an apartment until my senior year, I always shared a dorm room until then.

Another thing...I don't know where you live in Texas, but the area around OCC is expensive! I live about 5 minutes away from there...my apartment is around $1700 a month for 2 Bd. 2 Bath. There are cheaper places, but they're not very nice. To give you something to compare to, my friend rents a 2 Bd. 2 Bath apartment in Las Vegas about 15 minutes away from the strip for $750 a month. Gas is staying around $3.85 - $3.91 a gallon.

You should really plan a trip to both colleges, stay a few nights, and figure out what area is really for you. I know OCC is busy prepping for NCA right now, but you should try and check out the cheer program and talk to people on the team. If the area/team is right for you, then you will work through any problem you may encounter. If you hate the place, you WILL be miserable.

Also, keep in mind OCC is a community college - when you're done there, you will only have an AA and you will have to transfer out when you are done if you plan on getting a bachelors degree.

+1 for dorms - an amazing experience that EVERY incoming freshman needs. Not only is it fun, but it's a good way to start easing into independence.

I'm from Jersey and go to college in Kentucky. I absolutely love it, and am so glad I made the move. I honestly barely know anyone that is as far as I am from home (12 hours) and there are always plenty of people on campus during the weekend and stuff. I have been home for thanksgiving, winter break and spring break and then I will be back again for summer. I actually found that after going home it was kind of weird because all of my life and my friends are now at louisville.

I think you have to think about if you are responsible enough to live that far on your own...I know quite a few people that are not doing well at school at all due to being away at home and not having parents making them study..and how much you really want to go there. If that is what you have always wanted to do I wouldn't let it being far stop you. As for the dorms, I would definitely live in a dorm first year, its a lot of fun, much more convenient when you are still trying to learn where everything is on campus, basically has built in friends, and you dont have to worry about cooking for yourself or getting food every night because you will have a meal plan for the dining hall.

I agree though that you should definitely visit before you decide, that was the deciding factor for me for many of the schools I applied to!

like someone posted above, OCC is a community college. community colleges, especially those in california are huge and they lack the freshmen bonding experiences that a university will offer. also, i don't believe that they have dorms. and i think that going so far away from home, you will want the community that a dorm offers.

^Yes, OCC does not have dorms. I haven't heard of any JC out here that does. There is an apt. complex across the street from OCC that a lot of the students live in, and it has a dorm feel. To add to JC's in CA being huge - it is EXTREMELY hard to get classes, especially the gen. ed. classes that everyone is trying to take to transfer out. Make sure you ask the coach if you get priority registration for being on the team.

If you have any specific questions about living in CA, feel free to PM me.

In California, you will also have out of state tuition fees that are expensive, more than I would pay for a community college.

Our schools are all ready pretty pricey to begin with! That's another question, will the program waive out of state tuition for you.

Back