OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Me and my dad went to a Maryville College game today. I thought it was weird he's never asked me if I wanted to go there since he's asked me about literally every college in Tennessee. (I want to go out of state) Out of curiosity I looked up tuition.... Well, now I know why my dad never asked me about it. It's double what I would pay to go out of state- and I don't even live ten minutes from the college.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Me and my dad went to a Maryville College game today. I thought it was weird he's never asked me if I wanted to go there since he's asked me about literally every college in Tennessee. (I want to go out of state) Out of curiosity I looked up tuition.... Well, now I know why my dad never asked me about it. It's double what I would pay to go out of state- and I don't even live ten minutes from the college.

Sounds like when I was looking at Stetson. Yes I got $22,000 from them ($20,000 dean's scholarship, $1,000 for filling out the FAFSA on January 1st, and $1,000 for cheerleading (not including $75/credit hour for Bright Futures scholarship)) but my parents would have to pay around $30,000 still.

@Funfunfun My cousin graduated from Muhlenberg's PA program and is an ER PA. I'm sure if your cp had any questions, my cousin would be glad to answer them.

I'm looking into transferring to Hawaii Pacific University but I'm a little nervous about the out of state tuition and the fact that I live in Michigan and have no one in Hawaii lol. Is it worth the sacrifices to go out of state? I never considered going to school anywhere other than the university I'm at which is only 45 minutes away from my home town. Just looking for a little insight on what it's like going so far away to school :)

I'm looking into transferring to Hawaii Pacific University but I'm a little nervous about the out of state tuition and the fact that I live in Michigan and have no one in Hawaii lol. Is it worth the sacrifices to go out of state? I never considered going to school anywhere other than the university I'm at which is only 45 minutes away from my home town. Just looking for a little insight on what it's like going so far away to school :)
I say YES to going out of state! I would be so miserable if I stayed in state and going out of state has let me meet SO many great people from literally all over the place and I wouldn't change it. Plus I like being far from home because it makes it that much sweeter being home... until I'm ready to leave again 2 days later haha.

Have you looked into colleges in the UP? Or if you're in the UP, colleges in the LP? I know it's not that big of a difference but I'm going to a school in the UP next year mostly for the "out of state" vibe. I had my heart set on Louisville but it's just not possible for my parents, so I looked into schools in the UP. I like that it's far enough away for me to be independent, but it's only a six hour drive away. And it's a lot cheaper than out of state tuition.

I go to school out of state and I love it. I grew up in California and go to school in Texas so the culture is entirely different. It's made me open my mind, experience new things, and meet all kinds of wonderful people. It's so cool to experience a place entirely different from the one I'm used to. I consider it an adventure to go out of state. So I recommend it :)

ETA: I will admit, however, that I had a rough time adjusting at first. Make sure if you do end up going out of state, you give it a chance and don't immediately decide you don't like it and want to go home. There were times at the beginning of freshman year when I thought I had made a mistake but I rode it out for a month or two and absolutely love it now.

Thank you all so much :) I'm definitely going to keep looking into it! I think the only thing holding me back right now is the 30 something thousand dollar yearly tuition and plane ticket prices back and fourth. But who knows, it might not be too big of an issue if I can get some good scholarships :)

I go to school out of state and I love it. I grew up in California and go to school in Texas so the culture is entirely different. It's made me open my mind, experience new things, and meet all kinds of wonderful people. It's so cool to experience a place entirely different from the one I'm used to. I consider it an adventure to go out of state. So I recommend it :)

ETA: I will admit, however, that I had a rough time adjusting at first. Make sure if you do end up going out of state, you give it a chance and don't immediately decide you don't like it and want to go home. There were times at the beginning of freshman year when I thought I had made a mistake but I rode it out for a month or two and absolutely love it now.

agree with all of this especially because I too went from growing up in California and then moving to Texas for school. Being halfway across the country is definitely rough at first, but I think it is so worth it. My logic was that I might as well take the chance and try it out while I'm young and be able to experience a new culture and lifestlye. I have met some amazing, super sweet, hospitable people that I can easily tell you I will be friends with for life even though I've only known them a semester. And yeah the first month or so was really difficult, I was always homesick and just felt so alone but finally found my place on campus and really don't look back at all. And when I was home for winter break I was counting down the days to be back at school. It's definitely a risk that can be very rewarding if you keep pushing past the strains of being so far.

@Funfunfun My cousin graduated from Muhlenberg's PA program and is an ER PA. I'm sure if your cp had any questions, my cousin would be glad to answer them.
Thank you so much, you are so sweet. CP is going to do a shadow day at the school in February. She is asking to be paired with an upperclassman so she can talk with someone who has been there for a while. In addition, we found a local PA who has offered to allow my CP to shadow her in the office. This PA is in orthopedics, mine is interested in ER or surgery at the moment. Now, if each day could be at least 30 hours long, we could fit this all in. I may reach out to you if she feels she still has question, we appreciate the offer.

I'm so nervous about going to college next year! :confused: I'm worried that I won't make any friends, that I won't like my roommate, and that I'll hate being away from home because I know I'll miss my family a lot, especially my sister. I'm choosing between two pretty big universities, both 1-2 hours away from home, which isn't very far, but it's still going to be something new for me.

I'm so nervous about going to college next year! :confused: I'm worried that I won't make any friends, that I won't like my roommate, and that I'll hate being away from home because I know I'll miss my family a lot, especially my sister. I'm choosing between two pretty big universities, both 1-2 hours away from home, which isn't very far, but it's still going to be something new for me.
It is scary being away, especially the first few weeks, but I promise you will make many new friends and have a phenomenal time. I went to school about 3 hours away from home, which was a good distance because I was able to drive home for the weekend if I needed to get away and be with my family. And I'm old, so when I went to college we did not have cell phones or computers so it was a little harder to get in touch with my mom, sibs or friends from home if I neeed to talk to someone immediately. Now everyone is just a text away.
As for roommates, it can be hit or miss. Some people hit it off right away and sometimes it takes a few tries to find that right person. I had two roommates - one my freshman year, then one the first half of my sophomore year - who were both nice but I did not hit it off with, and then moved in with a friend whose roommate moved out and it was great. As long as you make other friends so you have places to hang out and you and your roommate are respectful of each other, even if you're not best friends from the start, you will be fine.
Good luck with your decision! My former cp is a junior and just starting the whole college process, so I feel like I am reliving a lot of the decisions I had to make when I was younger.

You will make friends. You probably won't like your roommate (its 50/50). Don't going into the living situation with the expectation that you will be "besties" and hang out all the time. Do go into the situation knowing that you have to live with this person and be courteous of them.

I moved out of the dorm room with my roommate freshman year after 1 semester...because we could not live together and we weren't mature enough to try to deal with it. However we remained friends, and I was supposed to be a bridesmaid in her wedding...that never happened and now we are no longer friends which is a long story....but at least our friendship didn't end over not being about to live together!

My younger sister dislikes her roommate but they still manage.

You will become accustomed to being away from home....the best part of it is that more likely than not everyone else is going thru the same feeling of homesickness as you

This is my first year of college and so far I've made a lot of good friends! I've realized that people here are much nicer than people in high school. I have 6 suite mates and they're ok, but I love my direct roommate! I was super worried about that too but it honestly went a lot better than I expected. I don't mind being away from my family, we talk on the phone almost daily and it's such a hassle moving my things to my car I'd rather not go home lol. Stay open minded and everything will go smoothly! The first week or two is scary, but once you get used to it it's great :)

Back