OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Random question: In Canada (well Ontario at least), in order to graduate high school you have to do at least 40 hours of volunteer work...do you not have that requirement in the states?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Nothing like that in Ohio, but I'm on the OH/PA border and the PA girls I danced with all had to do senior projects that were required by the state at that time.

And sidenote: my bachelors program required me to have 60 volunteer hours total while I was in the actual 3 years of the program. This was unique to our program and not required by our university.

Random question: In Canada (well Ontario at least), in order to graduate high school you have to do at least 40 hours of volunteer work...do you not have that requirement in the states?

At my high school in order to get the degree for the specialty program you had to do a 100 hours. Every high school in my county has some type of special program (IB, arts, IT, science, etc) and pretty much all of them require community service, but you don't have to be in the program if you don't want to. It was kind of nice though, because you could choose whatever school you wanted to go to in the county if you enrolled in the special program.

my high school did not require it, but certain clubs/organizations such as National Honor Society did require a certain number of hours.

In my undergrad, all freshman were required to take a 1 credit "freshmen seminar" course that did have a 60ish (iirc) hour requirement to pass the class. there were other classes along the way that offered a service program of sorts, where if you completed 40 hours of volunteer work you were exempt from the final. (40 hours for each class, and only some classes participated. the volunteer location also had to be relevant. for example, the only time i participated was in Developmental Psychology, so my assignment was tutoring inner city kids once a week. in some of the environmental science classes they would clean beaches or parks, etc.) it was a cool experience.

In BC students have to do 30 hours of volunteer work, and complete 150 minutes of "moderate to vigorous" physical activity per week.

Oh the physical activity requirement...we called it DPA (daily physical activity) out here, but we did it in class. One teacher made us bench press stacks of textbooks :(

Soo, in Louisiana they do this thing called TOPS, where just by scoring a certain (not even impressive) score on the ACT, you're guaranteed a certain amount of money from the state for a certain amount of semesters, as long as you keep a decent gpa. I think the lowest level you receive funding from is a 21, and the highest is maybe a 27. Do other states do things like that too? From what I understand it really discourages kids from going out of state for school, but I was just curious.

So if you score over a 27 you don't get anything?? That stinks!

West Virginia has this thing where if you get a certain GPA in high school (I wanna say a 3.0, idk I'm not from there just went to WVU) you get an in-state college tuition paid for completely.

Ugh, NY, why don't you have anything like this??

Honestly random isn't the end of the world.

My sister met her freshman roommate on twitter and they thought they had so much in common. They ended up hating each other, the girl ended up being super slut....and she was uncouth, dirty and triflin

I met my freshman roommate via old fashioned pot luck. We were friends for 7 years until we had a falling out over wedding stuff.

My senior year roommate, met her freshman year roommate in an AOL chat room (it was 2003)....-and they ended up not getting along because she was an alcoholic slut.

In conclusion, roommates you find online turn out to be sluts.

I agree. I told this story on some thread.... but my roommate called me at 5 AM one time asking me what to do since she'd let a drunk stranger into our room, hooked up with him, and then he fell asleep and she couldn't wake him up. Really?

Not at my school! But if you reached a certain amount of hours you could submit them to get a cord for graduation. I didn't know that until it was too late so I never got mine :/

So if you score over a 27 you don't get anything?? That stinks!
Actually, it's a 27 or higher. So like, a kid with a 35 and a kid with a 28 would get the same amount (this was started at a time when even a 30 on the ACT was very rare.) And it's not a specified amount; it depends on what school you go to. (http://www.osfa.state.la.us/MainSitePDFs/TOPS_Tuition_Amounts.pdf) But a lot of schools here offer amazing merit-based scholarships on top of that. Just about anywhere in Louisiana, a 32 is a full ride (and some places they throw in things like iPads and study abroad trips). TOPS plus all of that makes the financial aspects of college a lot easier. And I'm pretty sure you keep whatever carries over from that for living expenses, etc.

Actually, it's a 27 or higher. So like, a kid with a 35 and a kid with a 28 would get the same amount (this was started at a time when even a 30 on the ACT was very rare.) And it's not a specified amount; it depends on what school you go to. (http://www.osfa.state.la.us/MainSitePDFs/TOPS_Tuition_Amounts.pdf) But a lot of schools here offer amazing merit-based scholarships on top of that. Just about anywhere in Louisiana, a 32 is a full ride (and some places they throw in things like iPads and study abroad trips). TOPS plus all of that makes the financial aspects of college a lot easier. And I'm pretty sure you keep whatever carries over from that for living expenses, etc.

Jealous. I got a 31 on the ACT and Umaine gave me NOTHING for merit aid...the only schools who did were Tulane and St. Anselm's.

Jealous. I got a 31 on the ACT and Umaine gave me NOTHING for merit aid...the only schools who did were Tulane and St. Anselm's.
That's what I have right now too. I can't imagine not getting any merit aid at all. With TOPS, even a 31 is going to pay for almost everything here. (big fish in a small pond basically) Taking it again over the summer though, and if I bring my score up I'll be going where that study abroad trip is :D

That's what I have right now too. I can't imagine not getting any merit aid at all. With TOPS, even a 31 is going to pay for almost everything here. (big fish in a small pond basically) Taking it again over the summer though, and if I bring my score up I'll be going where that study abroad trip is :D
My sister had a 32 and got hardly anything. Part of the reason she ended up at Mizzou (we get half tuition bc our dad is a professor)

Stop. I def grew up in the wrong state. I got a 33 and NY doesn't do squat. I got scholarships don't get me wrong but I don't think it had anything to do with the state, just schools and none of them were full rides.

Stop. I def grew up in the wrong state. I got a 33 and NY doesn't do squat. I got scholarships don't get me wrong but I don't think it had anything to do with the state, just schools and none of them were full rides.

Yeah I hear ya. 32 and PA doesn't care. I applied to Troy in Alabama though and got a full ride there because of the score. Didn't attend though.

Back