Colleges?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Depends on what you want/your goals. If by best, you mean winning national championships, I'd say SFA if you're into NCA and Univ. of Kentucky if you're into UCA. That's just an opinion though, and only in the large co-ed divisions (because that's all I really follow).

could someone tell me the difference between Division I, Division IA and Division II and so forth please?

could someone tell me the difference between Division I, Division IA and Division II and so forth please?

Short answer - school size. The difference between D1, D2, and D3 is the number of sports teams a school offers, but generally bigger schools will have more teams and smaller ones will have less. 1/1A are both Division I schools, the split is for football programs only. 1A are the really big football schools in Division 1, they have big stadiums and huge numbers at games. Division 1 (or 1AA) are the remaining Division 1 schools, the ones that don't have a big football program or no football at all. The split carries over to cheerleading as well, the idea is that a bigger football school will also have a better cheerleading team - particularly for coed teams.

Here's a link explaining it better. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaa...A/About+The+NCAA/Membership/div_criteria.html

Depends on what you want/your goals. If by best, you mean winning national championships, I'd say SFA if you're into NCA and Univ. of Kentucky if you're into UCA. That's just an opinion though, and only in the large co-ed divisions (because that's all I really follow).

SFA is Division 1, they're in a different division than, say, Louisville. If you want to get a better game cheering experience, go to a 1A school.

what would be the best college for cheerleading?

It depends on if you want to be allgirl or coed, NCA or UCA, amazing sideline experience as well as competition or just competition focused... you're going to have to be more specific if you want a better answer.

I think it really is a matter of personal preference. When I think of college cheerleading HPU and Louisville come to mind just because they were talked so much about in my gym. It depends on what location area you are looking for, if you will be competing all-stars and college ( ex: gymtyme and Louisville), if you are looking for more of a relaxed atmosphere as far as competition or are in it for the super competitive nature, etc. Lots of factors to take into consideration when asking.

well cheerleading is my life. and hope it can take me as far as my dreams will go. I plann to become the best i can set myself to be. I would like to go to HPU or flordia, but i would also like to go to a college that provides the best education for me so i dont know it's alot to pick from but the right one will come my way.

what would you think about HPU?

Step 1:
What do you want to be when you get older?

Step 2:
Where would you like to cheer?

Step 3:
Does that school you want to cheer at have what's best for you academically?

Step 4:
Do you have the skills to possibly make the team? If not, get to work.

Step 5:
If you have what it takes and the school has what you need, then go for it!

Step 6:
Never give up on your dreams

There are a lot of great cheer leading colleges out there; University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Central Florida, University of Alabama, University of Florida, University of Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific University, Stephen F. Austin State University, Oklahoma State University, etc.

There are even great community college teams out there; Navarro College, Trinity Valley Community College, Orange Coast College, Long Beach City College, etc.

Research, research, research and you will find what best suits you and what you want!

Good luck!

Cheerleading was obv. one of my top three reasons when it came to looking at a college/university (along with major/location) I ended up choosing Hofstra University... their cheerleading team is one of the best in the nation for UCA and the location is great. On Long Island... where you have NYC and the beaches! And if anyone is a Public Relations major, they have a great program there, as well. But I have to admit HPU is still one of the best schools when it comes to cheerleading hands down.

Step 1:
What do you want to be when you get older?

Step 2:
Where would you like to cheer?

Step 3:
Does that school you want to cheer at have what's best for you academically?

Step 4:
Do you have the skills to possibly make the team? If not, get to work.

Step 5:
If you have what it takes and the school has what you need, then go for it!

Step 6:
Never give up on your dreams

There are a lot of great cheer leading colleges out there; University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Central Florida, University of Alabama, University of Florida, University of Hawaii, Hawaii Pacific University, Stephen F. Austin State University, Oklahoma State University, etc.

There are even great community college teams out there; Navarro College, Trinity Valley Community College, Orange Coast College, Long Beach City College, etc.

Research, research, research and you will find what best suits you and what you want!

Good luck!
This is really good advice also. I would add that you should google image search the AREA the school is in as well, and check out the city website/things to do in the town. If you think you can handle it for the next 4-5 years, GO TO THE SCHOOL. Take a tour, try to sign up for the overnight program. The campus/atmosphere will make or break your decision on where to go. I applied to five schools, narrowed it down to two, and ended up going to the one I never even considered because the campus/area felt "right" for me.

Also, remember that the cost of HPU (private school) > Univ. of ____ > ___ State University > _____ Community College. Where do you currently live?

Back